Amazing Member

Default Can Someone Explain What Is Happening in Marvel To Me?

So, ever since Spider-Man Back In Black I haven't read Marvel because of continuity issues. Everything is too cluttered up. Professor X dies like eighty times in a span of three years which is all supposed to be set in one year? 1960s comics actually took place in the 90s? Everybody still hates the X-Men but now the Inhumans? I don't know, it was all very, very, very, very, very, confusing so I just quit comics in general. When DC started The News 52, I got back into it because it was a fresh start. Yeah for Morrison's Batman there was backreading required but given that I don't read Green Lantern, that was it. So I'm hearing all of this stuff on the news about Quicksilver retcons, Bobby Drake becoming gay (or dating women he can't touch and stuff), the X-Men moving to another planet, the Fantastic Four splitting up and I'm just wondering, if all of these stories are going on, how exactly is Marvel rebooting? Like from what I gather, an Ant-Man title started in January and now we're rebooting? Like, are all of these storylines going to continue into Marvel when Secret Wars ends (basically another Marvel NOW (which I couldn't get into due to continuity issues)) or be like the New 52? If it is like the latter, will it show everybody at the start of their careers again or thrust us five or something years later into the future?

We had spot lights on it here -When-quot-Secret-Wars-quot-Ends-Not-Everything-From-Battleworld-Will-Go-With-It and here Hickman-Talks-quot-Secret-Wars-quot-2-Shines-Light-on-Battleworld-s-Secrets It is indeed a difficult question

Edit: On the surface it looks like Marvel has moved the majority of the characters and titles to an dead end but what is under the surface only time can tell. You can always rewrite the whole Marvel history with time travel. When they do it if they do it is really hard to say.

About the X-men from my perspective they suffer from the opposite too much time travel things became so messed up it became basically a non linear time story. You have certainly a problem if you not become confused with those stories, very much the same with SW.( or you a genius in ignoring details)
    Last edited by TakoM; 05-18-2015 at 05:27 PM.

Let me see if I can try to help. First off the FF splitting up and the X-men going off planet are only rumors as of now so just forget about that for now, it could happen but it's not confirmed.

Now while it sounds like retcons and continuity changes may be a problem for you it sounds like the biggest problem you have is Secret Wars, so let's see about that. First no one knows if it will be a full reboot or not, all we know is in the aftermath most of the current Marvel history will remain, such as Female Thor or Falcon Captain America, while new characters, locations, and etc from the Alternate Universes in Secret Wars will be a part of a new Marvel Universe. An example is that the Hulk villain Maestro will be living in the post Secret Wars MU. Beyond that we already have some threads that be of some help from the hard work of posters like Derek Metaltron, so give those threads a look.

Here's a link to Metaltron's FAQ thread that might be of some help.
    http://community.comicbookresources....and-Discussion
    Last edited by sifighter; 05-18-2015 at 05:24 PM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.