Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    I have to disagree with that.
    This was a test by DC to see if Donna could have a future as a villain for Diana, at test that was failed because no one seemed to think it was a good idea. The problem ofc is that now they are back to square one again; where they have no idea what to really do with Donna... which they haven't had since the Byrne-era. They've tried lots of things, but eventually they've always returned her to base one: Teen Titans.

What value would having Donna as a long-term villainess serve Wonder Woman or DC? She already has anti-villains in the forms of Devastation, Superwoman, First Born, and Grail. There's really no need for another.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Absolute Power, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Justice Society of America, Shazam, Titans, & Wonder Woman.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    What value would having Donna as a long-term villainess serve Wonder Woman or DC? She already has anti-villains in the forms of Devastation, Superwoman, First Born, and Grail. There's really no need for another.
    this is probably why they changed things, it was becoming redundant

I'd say there was no reason to have her as a short-term villain either. The whole rival-queen story has been painful and the way they created Donna from Hippolyta-soup and a blood sacrifice of an innocent paired with her willingness to commit genocide is making any redemption rather difficult. What is Diana gonna say when this is all said and done? Sure Strife is probably playing a hand in all of this, but at what point do you have to hold someone accountable for their actions? I am sad that Donna, who has always been such a pure soul, has been treated like this.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    seems like a change, the direction Finches were going, Donna would be a villain.

now they are trying to reform her, better let her sacrifice so the true Donna can be reborn
    Maybe, or maybe the plan was always for her to keep sinking until she hits bottom, and then bounce back. That's a pretty familiar storyline, right? To me, the important question is not when they decided to do this, but whether they'll execute it well. Based on their run so far, I'm not confident.

BANNED

I'd imagine they believed she could be filling the Dark/Anti (Insert hero name) role for Wonder Woman. A match for the hero, both physically and mentally, deeply connected to them but on the wrong side of the fence.

The difference with Donna in regards to the others is that succeeding writers would actually bother using her, rather than leave her in oblivion, which I am quite frankly certain is to be the fate of Grail and FB who can then join Genocide and Devastation out there. While Superwoman is more of a bastardization of Lois Lane rather than Diana.

As for needing to have another go at the theme, well I do agree, these kinds of characters have been tried at for so long and not been able to stick. Not even Batman has one everyone can agree on. But DC will keep trying regardless and hope that one day they get it right. But aside that, Donna is an issue for DC, she's hugely popular, but they have no idea what to do with her that they aren't already trying with Diana.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Silvanus View Post
    Maybe, or maybe the plan was always for her to keep sinking until she hits bottom, and then bounce back. That's a pretty familiar storyline, right? To me, the important question is not when they decided to do this, but whether they'll execute it well. Based on their run so far, I'm not confident.
    the plan seemed much longer than this, she was meant to be a villain on the diana rogues gallery. it was pretty obvious from the interviews. what donna doesn't need is having a genocide on her resume.

I just wish this team could wrap up their run, then another could come and put everything in the place

It's a tough one. If there was some sort of a concrete plan for Donna during this run, it doesn't really feel that way. I guess the solicits could be doing a less than perfect job of relaying the actually content of the upcoming issues.

That said, this really feels like a change up.

Who is that on the background behind her looking like Graffiti?
    Richard Alexander

Astonishing Member

Donna was going to stay evil as much as Azzarello's Amazons we're going to stay snakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Awonder View Post
    Donna was going to stay evil as much as Azzarello's Amazons we're going to stay snakes.
    It hasn't been more than twenty issues....

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    It hasn't been more than twenty issues....
    So what? Twenty issues of nothing - what Azzarello did with the Amazons as snakes - are now the quota? Seems more likely to me that this was always the plan given that it hasn't dragged on for twenty issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Awonder View Post
    So what? Twenty issues of nothing - what Azzarello did with the Amazons as snakes - are now the quota? Seems more likely to me that this was always the plan given that it hasn't dragged on for twenty issues.
    While that may be, the June solicit certainly doesn't sound like it.

Astonishing Member

While that may be, the June solicit certainly doesn't sound like it.
    Because the solicits are always spot on, right?

We are heading squarely into "I will bet you a small box of Jellybeans" territory.

Astonishing Member

We are heading squarely into "I will bet you a small box of Jellybeans" territory.
    In other words, your evidence that they made a significant change to the story is only worth a small pile of beans?

As Silvanus pointed out, this isn't an uncommon storyline; it's quite predicable even. As soon as we saw the name "Donna Troy," I dare say that many of us saw it coming that Diana would try and help her "reform."

Now, whether or not that was a good idea or executed well, that's a different story. Sadly, Donna's a mess already.