Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    I was expecting much more from the first issue because I was promised that.

I was expecting cameos from Scarlet Witch, Wasp, Tigra, Kitty, Rogue, Jubilee, X-23, Emma, Magik, Songbird, other teenage and many other adult heroines.

Sure it wouldn't have been hard to draw 1 small female character with wings on one of the panels. It's not like the characters that did make a cameo made any sense.
    Wait til the arc is finished. I expect a huge 2 page blowout of characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    Wait til the arc is finished. I expect a huge 2 page blowout of characters.
    I hope you're right.

Even if not I'll enjoy the book anyways. I just wanted to see Wasp really. Being on 3 covers made me hope to see her at least in 1 panel really.

BANNED

"We tried to fit as many super heroines as we can to the first issue.*

Yeah right.

If they hadn't tried I assume it would have been a She-Hulk solo book.

Enjoyed the book so so so much but there were like 10 super heroines only. Why make a cover like that if you're not even gonna feature more than half of those characters?
    Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    Well you deflated some of my hype...

It's only the first issue. So I'm sure we'll see your specific characters you want to see.

I've read my copy today and I was quite pleased with it.

I was expecting much more from the first issue because I was promised that.

I was expecting cameos from Scarlet Witch, Wasp, Tigra, Kitty, Rogue, Jubilee, X-23, Emma, Magik, Songbird, other teenage and many other adult heroines.

Sure it wouldn't have been hard to draw 1 small female character with wings on one of the panels. It's not like the characters that did make a cameo made any sense.
    Well, given that this book is outlasting Secret Wars, i think there is going to be enough time for that.

I thought this issue was just ok. It was a set-up issue. Wasn't crazy about the big shark, but then when I see superheros fighting "monsters" like dinosaurs, or in this case sharks, it just gets goofy. Character development was ok. Yes, there are a lot of background heroes who don't say/do anything. The story seems ok too. Something/one might have sent the shark but who/what? Don't need to know anything else about battleworld except for the 1 page explanation and the fact that Dr.Doom is the ruler of it all and that Arcadia is a nice "place" in battleworld.

Like I said, for the first issue it was ok. I'm hoping that going forward it will focus on a select few characters (at least for certain arcs) so it doesn't seem like it's trying to show too many characters in 1 issue and that ends up giving no one enough pannels. Also, like mentioned before, the writer needs to go easy on the preachy writing. Once they start preaching, the immersion of the comic is lost. Just write a good superhero comic.

3/5 Stars.

Empty is thy hand!

Hmm... This is where I checked out. I've read about half of all the tie-ins that came out this week, and I hit an epiphany: None of this matters. Because it all relies on the Battleworld setting, all of these books will change massively or be completely erased at some point in the near future. There's nothing wrong with alternate realities, and I love that plot device. But the flaws of this Secret Wars thing are just reminding me of why similar stories from the past worked much better. Age of Apocalypse had every X-book as a tie-in, but they all worked towards the plot of the overall AoA story. I'm afraid that the majority of these books are just padding; filler. The Mighty Marvel Method of flooding the market.

I'm a huge Avengers fan and some of my favorite characters are Marvel ladies, but A-Force was the straw that broke me. A lot of the writing in the front half was just very cheesy and trying too hard to be cute. And that reminded me that the writing in all of these books just isn't good enough to overcome the wacked-out premise. I'm gonna jump off now, with hopes of returning to some of this stuff when I hear good news. But for now, it's just not worth it.

Please don't take this as hating. I love Marvel, but this isn't doing it for me.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ceebiro View Post
    I think it's pretty clear that the verdict against MAC is her being sent to the Wall, which explains how she winds up in SIEGE.
    Well picked issue #1 and maybe this book isn't for me, I know is a set up issue but those are supossed to get the reader interested, well maybe I'll pick up #2, oh and it's THE SHIELD not the wall

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    Well, given that this book is outlasting Secret Wars, i think there is going to be enough time for that.
    It'll have to sell well enough to continue much past that, but I won't say that it won't last awhile...just wondering then if the characters will do things outside of the superheroics, also wonder if the members of the team will get some romance or if there's no time for that, if there is wonder who would date who if kept to members of the team...

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrSurf View Post
    There was no way they were going to represent all of those characters on the cover.

You couldn't pull that off even if it was a 40 page issue, most were always going to be relegated to background appearances. To think otherwise is a folly in and of itself.

Invest in the main team or don't bother. A-force can't be Marvel Women Team-up
    Then they should've started and advertised with the main team from the start. Instead we got loads of covers with various superheroines used as lures to boost sales.

X-(wo)men did it right by getting the cast set early and using their own star power to get sales, even if Rogue and Kitty were eventually switched out.

Quote Originally Posted by Teste View Post
    Let's be honest, there's no way someone could say this issue wasn't good and not be labelled a chauvinistic mysoginist.
    LOL, I was sort of thinking the same thing. It's like it HAS to be good, because hey, female superheroes!

I haven't read it so I can't give my opinion on it. But being a woman myself, I find it hard to believe a group of superheroines can make a world like Arcadia exist peacefully without bitching behind each other's back or pulling hair... seriously, I work in an almost all-female place and let me tell you sometimes it can get ugly.

On another thread, someone said that it's going to be A-Force that's going to find out what's going on with Battleworld... Really? It makes me feel almost as if they're saying that women are better than men... What happened to that theory that we're complementing each other?

By the way, since I'm a girl so you can't accuse me of being a chauvinistic misogynist I just feel for you, guys

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Jay View Post
    LOL, I was sort of thinking the same thing. It's like it HAS to be good, because hey, female superheroes!

I haven't read it so I can't give my opinion on it. But being a woman myself, I find it hard to believe a group of superheroines can make a world like Arcadia exist peacefully without bitching behind each other's back or pulling hair... seriously, I work in an almost all-female place and let me tell you sometimes it can get ugly.

On another thread, someone said that it's going to be A-Force that's going to find out what's going on with Battleworld... Really? It makes me feel almost as if they're saying that women are better than men... What happened to that theory that we're complementing each other?

By the way, since I'm a girl so you can't accuse me of being a chauvinistic misogynist I just feel for you, guys
    I don't think they are going to find out what's wrong with Battleworld because they're women or because they are inherently better than anyone else. It's because the answer literally crash landed on their doorstep. (specifically Nico and Loki's doorstep, another stray for Loki to take in i guess) it's not by merit of them being 'better' that they figure things out, it's that, by sheer coincidence, they have a puzzle piece that others lack. also, we already know from some other solicits that some characters in other books, some of them men, will also begin to piece together things. Old Man Logan, Guardians of Knowhere, Captain Marvel (ok, so that's another all-female book, but still), Odin in Future Imperfect, and characters in Weirdworld all begin to figure out something's not quite right.
    Last edited by Raye; 05-20-2015 at 12:24 PM.

Fantastic Member

This book has the same problem that most of Secret Wars has been having, too much set up. Most of this issue was set up. Secret Wars #2 was essentially set up for Battleworld. So was Secret Wars #1 was set up for #2. Time Runs Out was set up for Secret Wars. Master of Kung Fu #1 was great because you were thrown right into the story. This book was fine, but I don't feel like anything really happened until the end when Captain Universe fell down into Arcadia.
    "If I come back from the dead one more time I'll be seriously in danger of turning into some kind of walking cliche." - Jean Grey, Uncanny X-Men #284

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    Then they should've started and advertised with the main team from the start. Instead we got loads of covers with various superheroines used as lures to boost sales.

X-(wo)men did it right by getting the cast set early and using their own star power to get sales, even if Rogue and Kitty were eventually switched out.
    Every variant we've had has had the main team in it.

Only one with someone that wasn't a member of the main team being center stage was the rogue one. And even that one she was surrounded by the main A-force team

Astonishing Member

Story was cool. The art was Copiel esque. I like fun stories, and surprising I am liking Doom as my lord and savior

My only issue was the big bad was a friigin shark. I know its just a story device to get to the true threat of Doom, but I would love to have seen a Mistresses Of Evil or something along those lines. A-Force is almost as powerful as the Keepers Of The Hammer. I want big time threats.

Best part of the book... Crystal sighting!