Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Quote Originally Posted by Habis View Post
    It's a bit weird that not a single man has superpowers...did Doom grab all the superwomen that didn't fit in any other Domain and sent them there, or what?
    My headcanon is that simply all the girls decided to move to that island and decided to form an all-female team.

I wouldn't be surprised if some are powered, this is just an AU where woman organized and maintained their protector role earlier/more effectively. From what I can tell; I haven't read quite all the interviews, and it hasn't been addressed in book yet.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by pixie_solanas View Post
    There are a lot of issues with the book. Unfortunately, I also have a lot of issues with Lepore's sexist judgementalism evinced in her critique.
    Oh, agree 100%. I was just rolling my eyes at the anti-feminist-trolling. That gets so tiresome.

I actually didn't love the book either. Not that I didn't think the content was fine, and the set-up was interesting, there was just such precious little to it. It read like the first few pages of a comic, rather than a complete comic. I may have had my expectations pumped up too much

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    My headcanon is that simply all the girls decided to move to that island and decided to form an all-female team.
    Isn't Doom strongly opposed to anybody crossing borders? He sent Miss America to the Shield because she threw a shark out of Arcadia, what would he have done if dozens of superhumans had deserted their domains and founded their own country on their own initiative?

Quote Originally Posted by tsaimelemoni View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if some are powered, this is just an AU where woman organized and maintained their protector role earlier/more effectively. From what I can tell; I haven't read quite all the interviews, and it hasn't been addressed in book yet.
    And they don't allow men to join? If a guy can fly and shoot lightning and wants to help defend the island, is he told to go back to the kitchen? I find it hard to believe.
    Last edited by Habis; 05-21-2015 at 01:40 PM.

Incredible Member

This was a rather bland issue. It wasn't a bad but it wasn't good either. It felt like mostly setup for future issues. We didn't even get a chance to get a real feel what life in Arcadia is like which I think is my real problem as I love world building but I'm assuming that the problem was this was just a first issue. Hopefully, the next one is better.

Isn't Doom strongly opposed to anybody crossing borders? He sent Miss America to the Shield because she threw shark out of Arcadia, what would he have done if dozens of superhumans had deserted their domains and founded their own country on their own initiative?

And they don't allow men to join? If a guy can fly and shoot lightning and wants to help defend the island, is he told to go back to the kitchen? I find it hard to believe.
    I was talking about the girls of that dimensión.

And maybe the guys are too busy fighting each other to notice that the girls left.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    I was talking about the girls of that dimensión.

And maybe the guys are too busy fighting each other to notice that the girls left.
    Ignoring all the guys actually in the book on the island?

Isn't Doom strongly opposed to anybody crossing borders? He sent Miss America to the Shield because she threw a shark out of Arcadia, what would he have done if dozens of superhumans had deserted their domains and founded their own country on their own initiative?

Perhaps the men are indeed unpowered, or they are simply content with women being the heroes. Maybe the men run the equivalent of a volunteer fire department. I want to know too, and I'm sure it'll be touched on. Didn't seem like something that necessarily needed an answer in issue 1 imo, and I didn't even think about it while reading.

Quote Originally Posted by tsaimelemoni View Post
    Perhaps the men are indeed unpowered
    Maybe. It could be that they come from a world were only women can develop powers.

Mutant Bat on Speed Force Fuzzy Barbarian's Avatar

So... this was pretty average. Like, nothing amazing in any way. The art is nice, and there are some interesting character interactions... and that's kind of it... Damn, thought it'd be like Ms. Marvel and actually live up to the hype.
    Favourite characters: Wally West, Dick Grayson, Cassandra Cain, Cyclops, Jay Garrick, Jamie Madrox, Stargirl, Bucky Barnes, Magik, Jon Kent, Kate Bishop, Booster Gold

Regular pulls:
    Adventureman, Cable, Fire Power, Green Lantern, Hellions, New Mutants, Thor, Vampire: The Masquerade, Venom, X-Factor, X-Men

Trade-waiting: Animosity, Black Panther, Captain America, Catwoman, Conan, Daredevil, DCeased, Detective Comics, Hawkman, Immortal Hulk, Redneck, Saga, Skyward, Snotgirl, X-Force

Maybe. It could be that they come from a world were only women can develop powers.
    So like in the book versión of Carrie ?.

Ultimate Member

It's a bit weird that not a single man has superpowers...did Doom grab all the superwomen that didn't fit in any other Domain and sent them there, or what?
    We do see Luke Cage and Gambit, and Gambit is wearing his classic duds, so it's entirely possible that there are super-powered men on the island as well.

My only real disappointment with the issue right now is that we didn't get to see America Chavez wearing Loki's 'pointy bug hat'.

Interesting that Loki made a point of giving her something, and taking something (being left at the end holding her coat). Principles of sympathy and contagion underlie various magical traditions, where you can track or cast spells on someone remotely by placing something (like a hex bag) on or near them, or by holding onto something that is emotionally significant or a part of them (like a personal possession or hair clipping). Loki seems to have made a point of having possible mystical connections to America Chavez, before she got sent away, which she could later use to communicate with, attempt to control, or even travel to / conjure her back...