Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Well, I can't imagine him doing an interview that didn't sound good. I mean, I can't even imagine Austen having a bad interview. Unfortunately, I promise that I was going to make a post the other day about how Pak says all of these good things and ends with "Superman is.... y'know, like us" and how it makes me groan. And he literally just did that!
    I don't understand this criticism. Pak has always made it very that he intends to show that Superman is just as emotionally venerable as the rest of us. He even puts up the idea that he may be more emotionally vulnerable due to the nature of his powers ("super empathy", hearing, and lifespan). I don't think Pak has said anything aside from that. In this interview in particular he makes it clear that Superman will be put though the emotional wringer.

Pak:In short, everything that makes Clark's life easy and comfortable is going to be stripped away; we're going to see Superman pushed to his limits and tested on every level in the best kind of ways.

Pak: Superman's always been one of us, a man of the people. The jeans and T-shirt look combined with his actions in this arc make that crystal clear.

But I sure would have liked it if he made any clarification about Superman's methods. My problem isn't a fear of the unknown so much as a sense of being underwhelmed by Superman biking around with rags on his hands. What does he do that sets him apart? How is he Super?
    Well he does still have superpowers that seem to be around the degree of 1st arc Action Comics/Golden age Superman. That seemed to make him rather super.

Pak: Superman's lost a lot of his power. He's still tough as hell -- particularly inside, where it counts. But every punch takes a real toll, and Aaron's art makes you feel it.

I imagine he takes the bike because running or jumping everywhere would take to long and would ultimately use power that he wants to keep. In Pak's first issue of Action Comics (#25) we see that Superman has to jump on the underbelly of a plane in order to reach Gotham from Metropolis.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    And for our Lois fans....

CV: Will you be dealing with Lois Lane at all? Will she be able to tell her side of the story in her decision?

PAK: Absolutely and of course -- in Gene's "SUPERMAN" book, you'll get the entire story leading up to Lois's decision. Lois will also show up in BATMAN/SUPERMAN briefly. I've said it many times -- Lois is a straight-up hero, just like Superman. But that doesn't mean she and Superman will always agree on everything. Gene's got a great story to tell here for both Superman and Lois -- don't miss that book!

Pak you beautiful bastard, you know all the right things to say to a fanboy dont you? You sly dog.

Yup. I cannot wait to see how this unfolds.
    Pure Lip service. He said that many times but never deliver, and I hope they doesn't disagree with superhero identity and revealing it.

I really done with superman books after another LL is created to interact with clark.

the story sounds a lot like daredevil and hawkeye, but without any charm or naturality. and sure without waid and fraction.
    maybe interesting for 2 or 3 issues, not for a year storyline

Quote Originally Posted by dumbduck View Post

2 buts-

The FOS. I understood the reason, but still fells like a wasted opportunity. No more Batman, Hiro or Veritas doing Clark's tech for him, pretty please.

More Wonder Woman, please. Please, don't give me that old 'franchises shouldn't mix too much' crap. That shark was jumped 10+ years ago when Kara became BatWonderSupergirl. And Pak has put Batman in one way or another in every issue of Action Comics. I wont even talk about Superman the main title.
    wonder woman is not superman supporting character. and she only serves to bash and take panel time from lois

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Well as Superman states, it was his home. But not just that it was the touchstone to his past that he's never really know. It along with his powers and cape are the constant in his life. When he lost Clark Kent the first time in the new 52 he turned the fortress into his only home. It's his ultimate fall back and safety net. Again just like his cape (his indestructible cape has always been there to protect him since he was a young boy) , and that's why it was such a devastating blow to have both taken/ripped from him.

To lose his Fortress is to lose his security and safe place.
    he call it his home? superman new 52 is really more awful than I was remembering

fortress should never be his home
    Last edited by Blacksun; 05-20-2015 at 06:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    Pure Lip service. He said that many times but never deliver, and I hope they doesn't disagree with superhero identity and revealing it.
    What are you even talking about? Pak has hardly even written Lois let alone advertised how much of a hero she is. But the funny thing is Pak has written her very well in the few times he's used her. He actually showed how much a hero she was in his last arc on Batman/Superman.

I don't know. I've really enjoyed Pak's Action run, but this sounds a tad questionable to me. Like Manofsteel1979, it largely hinges on how the Lois thing is handled. What's really tripping my radar is the whole "he's lower power now, so we can challenge him" vibe that's been going on. Like Superman has never faced any challenges at full power. I guess all that Darkseid, Mongul, Brainiac, Doomsday, and 5th dimension stuff just doesn't count towards challenging Superman or pushing him to his limits. Or other story elements that they say they can do now that they've taken everything away that's "comfortable" for Superman. Like, why can't Superman talk to his neighbors at full power? I guess when you limit the character a lot more, it's easier to get to those limits but it just seems lazy to me.

I'll see how it plays out and if it keeps my interest in the Superman line. Pak has done solid work so far, so I'm willing to give it a shot. I've always felt that the best Superman stories don't try to reduce Superman to explore his character or challenge him. They embrace what he is and explore all that he can do. So I'm skeptical about "Truth".

So if it's a calculated deconstruction of Superman to rebuild on a more solid foundation, I'm on-board and will really enjoy it. If it's a reduction of Superman because they feel they can't explore the personality and world of a powerful hero, I'm out. So sorry, I'm not ready to drink the In Pak We Trust Kool-aide just yet

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by manduck37 View Post
    I don't know. I've really enjoyed Pak's Action run, but this sounds a tad questionable to me. Like Manofsteel1979, it largely hinges on how the Lois thing is handled. What's really tripping my radar is the whole "he's lower power now, so we can challenge him" vibe that's been going on. Like Superman has never faced any challenges at full power. I guess all that Darkseid, Mongul, Brainiac, Doomsday, and 5th dimension stuff just doesn't count towards challenging Superman or pushing him to his limits. Or other story elements that they say they can do now that they've taken everything away that's "comfortable" for Superman. Like, why can't Superman talk to his neighbors at full power? I guess when you limit the character a lot more, it's easier to get to those limits but it just seems lazy to me.

I'll see how it plays out and if it keeps my interest in the Superman line. Pak has done solid work so far, so I'm willing to give it a shot. I've always felt that the best Superman stories don't try to reduce Superman to explore his character or challenge him. They embrace what he is and explore all that he can do. So I'm skeptical about "Truth".

So if it's a calculated deconstruction of Superman to rebuild on a more solid foundation, I'm on-board and will really enjoy it. If it's a reduction of Superman because they feel they can't explore the personality and world of a powerful hero, I'm out. So sorry, I'm not ready to drink the In Pak We Trust Kool-aide just yet
    you spotted the same problem that I saw on the premise. Only depowered we get to see him interactiong with normal people. When he is all powerful we barely saw him interacting with the enviroment, then he got depowered and it is all about people.

Well, I can't imagine him doing an interview that didn't sound good. I mean, I can't even imagine Austen having a bad interview. Unfortunately, I promise that I was going to make a post the other day about how Pak says all of these good things and ends with "Superman is.... y'know, like us" and how it makes me groan. And he literally just did that!

But I sure would have liked it if he made any clarification about Superman's methods. My problem isn't a fear of the unknown so much as a sense of being underwhelmed by Superman biking around with rags on his hands. What does he do that sets him apart? How is he Super?
    that looks exactly like post-crisis andit is heavily criticized here.

well superman is not about his powers, is about his courage and ideals. Johns did it very well on his final issue. I don't know why a big journey is needed. It's really bad see superman on a bike and looking very Bro. I saw a pic of "moutain" from GOT and he was with a superman t-shirt, he was looking like superman but more sympatic
    Last edited by Blacksun; 05-20-2015 at 07:56 AM.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    You haven't been around when Finch and his wife were promoting their Wonder Woman run , haven't ya?
    I didn't read the interviews, only the reactions. Which I took with a grain of salt, because the same people on the WW forums complain and criticize the hell out of the Azzarello run. But point taken. I should say that a creator with a capacity to do well can make things sound better than they will be in an interview. I remember being hyped for Lobdell and Diggle, and they went nowhere in my book.

I don't understand this criticism. Pak has always made it very that he intends to show that Superman is just as emotionally venerable as the rest of us. He even puts up the idea that he may be more emotionally vulnerable due to the nature of his powers ("super empathy", hearing, and lifespan). I don't think Pak has said anything aside from that. In this interview in particular he makes it clear that Superman will be put though the emotional wringer.
    My criticism has nothing to do with saying that Pak is being inconsistent (except maybe with the implication that Clark's life is easy or comfortable), or that Superman doesn't have emotional vulnerability.

To clarify: I feel like he consistently and somewhat predictably uses appealing ideas to build up to something I find unappealing. And I wonder how much more "like us" Superman will have to become if this doesn't land with the intended effect that DC hopes.

Well he does still have superpowers that seem to be around the degree of 1st arc Action Comics/Golden age Superman. That seemed to make him rather super.
    But having power isn't what makes him super, it's what he does with his time and resources.

I imagine he takes the bike because running or jumping everywhere would take to long and would ultimately use power that he wants to keep. In Pak's first issue of Action Comics (#25) we see that Superman has to jump on the underbelly of a plane in order to reach Gotham from Metropolis.
    Makes enough sense to me, although I think running around like he did in AC #1 was much cooler. Common transportation just has never been his thing so it seems very unfortunate.
    Last edited by Kuwagaton; 05-20-2015 at 08:15 AM.

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

I didn't read the interviews, only the reactions. Which I took with a grain of salt, because the same people on the WW forums complain and criticize the hell out of the Azzarello run. But point taken. I should say that a creator with a capacity to do well can make things sound better than they will be in an interview. I remember being hyped for Lobdell and Diggle, and they went nowhere in my book.

Makes enough sense to me, although I think running around like he did in AC #1 was much cooler. Common transportation just has never been his thing so it seems very unfortunate.
    -I did. Trust me on this,they had at the very least a pretty clumsy way of getting their point accross.

-Well, yes. So I'm not sure what you want to hear. Are you concerned that he won't be a superhero anymore, or something?
    If that's the case, well....at the very least, the Batman/Superman sneak peek establishes that he still fights bad guys.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post

-Well, yes. So I'm not sure what you want to hear. Are you concerned that he won't be a superhero anymore, or something?
    If that's the case, well....at the very least, the Batman/Superman sneak peek establishes that he still fights bad guys.
    I'm confused by what's in bold. To what is that in response? I'm saying that in my opinion, riding a motorcycle runs counter to what suits the character. I am not implying that I don't think he'll "fight bad guys" and in fact part of my concern is that he won't amount to much more.

BANNED

What are you even talking about? Pak has hardly even written Lois let alone advertised how much of a hero she is. But the funny thing is Pak has written her very well in the few times he's used her. He actually showed how much a hero she was in his last arc on Batman/Superman.
    people asked him and he said many times that loves lois and like to write her. Well he used her as a bait, that is very heroic that is true. But he also made Lois make out with Batman, then next issue she was talking with superman and then she said she was dating johnathan. So Lois cheated on johnathan with Batman? that really is bad writing.

To clarify: I feel like he consistently and somewhat predictably uses appealing ideas to build up to something I find unappealing.
    Oh well this seems to be just a personal taste thing and how you interpret the his words rather than him saying anything misleading. For my money Pak gives some of the most straight forward interviews out there. What he says is more often than not what he writes in the comics.

But having power isn't what makes him super, it's what he does with his time and resources.
    Well going by what Pak has said it seems like Superman will be doing everything he to help people and get to the bottom of this mystery. He'll have to think on his feet and use what power he has left to take on very powerful foes with an ax to grind. His resourcefulness and never say die attitude will likely be at the forefront. He could go away from the world but instead he seems to decide to jump back into his calling and help people with what he has. That all sounds rather Superman to me.

Well as I said before back when he had Action Comics #1 powers he would jump onto and ride blimps (Action Comics #1) and jump onto and ride planes (Action #25) because running or jumping the whole way would take too long.

The point is to do things that aren't really his thing. It seems to be a story of "if you take it all away will he still be him". Going off the preview, the internal battle of digging deep down to find if he can still be him without all of the normal identifiers.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    people asked him and he said many times that loves lois and like to write her. Well he used her as a bait, that is very heroic that is true. But he also made Lois make out with Batman, then next issue she was talking with superman and then she said she was dating johnathan. So Lois cheated on johnathan with Batman? that really is bad writing.
    You mean Johnathan the man who she has consistently been depicted as having a wishy washy relationship with? But we're strictly speaking of the comment Pak made in this interview. He said "I've said it many times -- Lois is a straight-up hero, just like Superman." Pak has shown Lois being a hero. No arguments about that can really be made. Kissing Batman has nothing to do with her being a hero. In fact in that same issue she kissed him she saved people.

So again what are you even talking about?

Yeah, it's just a different interpretation of the interview. For me, I don't think he said anything particularly strong or novel. Same way, I didn't find anything compelling about the preview pages. Although the scenes where he beats up spontaneous wooden ninja were pretty. Kuder's got game.

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

I'm confused by what's in bold. To what is that in response? I'm saying that in my opinion, riding a motorcycle runs counter to what suits the character. I am not implying that I don't think he'll "fight bad guys" and in fact part of my concern is that he won't amount to much more.
    Whoops, mistake on my part. I was supposed to reply to the part where you said " But having power isn't what makes him super, it's what he does with his time and resources". From what we've seen, what he does with his time and ressources is the same he has always done: he's fighting the good fight, if "tracking down a group of bad guys all the way to Gotham to save a bunch of hostages" is any indication.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    Superlad, clear a space in the inbox?
    Mission complete.
    No one ever messages me.

*sniff*

Quote Originally Posted by manduck37 View Post
    One could argue that Morrison did the same thing at the start of the new 52 and was praised to high heaven for it. He wasn't playful with his reasoning either. He simply thought it would be visually compelling to see Superman physically stress and struggle in a fight or a challenge. I remember he was really keen on just seeing Superman get bloodied up and hurt yet still keep coming. His artist Rags even openly said that he simply liked the more Herculean lower levels of power that they were doing in the early days.

Morrison said that it would be much easier for people now to get Superman if they could start from the bottom with him. Pak is doing shades of that, but the only thing is he's actually putting up a more imaginative premise for these powers. Yes yes I know blasphemy (Morrison's my favorite writer) But it's true. This is a rather smart idea on it's own.

Like you say later in your post, "it's a calculated deconstruction of Superman to rebuild on more solid foundation". Everything seems to point to that. Superman has been stripped of all of his normal trapping that one would associate with him. Everything is in question. His powers, his heritage, his relationships with his friends, his relationship with the people, his identity as Clark, his identity as Superman. It's all being looked at very hard it seems, and it seems to be looked at so they can strengthen them/redefine them/give them new life.

I very much doubt that it's just a depowering just for the sake of it. The preview gives off a far more complex idea than that if you ask me.