Fantastic Member

Default Impact of the George Reeves TV Show: IYO, Was it the biggest Live Action Superman TV show?

How would you describe the influence of the 50's series, especially compared to other versions of live action Superman TV shows? Do you think it was the biggest live action version of Superman on TV?

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheBatman View Post
    How would you describe the influence of the 50's series, especially compared to other versions of live action Superman TV shows? Do you think it was the biggest live action version of Superman on TV?
    I'd say safely...yeah it is, mainly because it got there first in an era where there was only three channels to watch if you were lucky. TV was an entirely different thing in the 1950's than it was in the 80's (Superboy) 90's (Lois and Clark) the 00's (SMALLVILLE) and today (SUPERGIRL). It may not have lasted as long or was as visually impressive or even as well written as the later shows were,but there's a reason it is a classic that's still being rerun today. No offense to any of the later shows...but somehow I doubt they will still be showing SMALLVILLE and LOIS and CLARK in reruns in prepetuity.

Plus George Reeve's Season #1 Superman is one bad a$s mutha.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 05-20-2015 at 02:55 AM.

I just posted this on another thread. That was Superman at his most magical: appealing to children. No matter how popular he is today, he was virtually without competition as far as comic super heroes go. As the audience grew older & more characters started to pop up, his popularity diminished a bit. The Reeves show is Superman near or at his absolute peak in my opinion.