Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Super Moderator

Default Edgar Wright Leaves "Ant-Man" Film Due to Creative Differences

Director Edgar Wright, who has been attached to "Ant-Man" since 2006, has left the 2015 film due to "differences in vision" with Marvel Studios.

Full article here.

Fantastic Member

Whoa... didn't see that coming. This thing has been his baby for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Teek View Post
    Whoa... didn't see that coming. This thing has been his baby for years.
    Took the words out of my mouth.
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

Astonishing Member

Fine.

I think Marvel should just kill it.

Why couldn't Marvel just let Wright make the film he wanted and integrate it later?

I mean they kept Ant-man out of Avengers just so Wright could make this film. Why not let him make the damn movie?

I'm really disappointed by this news. I had complete faith in Edgar Wright to get Ant-Man right. I really can't think of anybody more perfect for the job.
    Russia is cold, why can't Batman have a warm hat?

Astonishing Member

I'm pretty bummed about this. Wright is a quality filmmaker. He handles comedy and action well. It seemed like a match made in heaven for Marvel's current sensibilities.

I would not be surprised if the problem is that they're trying to integrate it into the MCU for Avengers 3.
    Last edited by Ceebiro; 05-23-2014 at 01:17 PM.

Amazing Member

I love Edgar Wright's films. I'm really disappointed in this.

Amazing Member

No big deal. I didn't care for "Scott Pilgrim." Furthermore, Marvel has an excellent track record in translating their comics to the big screen. I trust Marvel will work things out to the satisfaction of most fans.

BANNED

Bummer.

Does this mean they'll recast or do rewrites on the script?

BANNED

To all the people freaking out about Marvel meddling: don't!

It's their universe and so far they have done a bang up job of making sure these movies are great. So don't be freaks out because of these news. For all we know maybe Wright wasn't being that faithful to the source material and Marvel didn't accept it.

No one should throw stones if they don't know the details of what happened.

I have faith in Marvel, they haven't let us down yet.

Quote Originally Posted by invasionforce View Post
    No big deal. I didn't care for "Scott Pilgrim." Furthermore, Marvel has an excellent track record in translating their comics to the big screen. I trust Marvel will work things out to the satisfaction of most fans.

Marvel had a track record of hiring quality directors and letting them make their movies. If they are mucking up the process things could change in a hurry.

This is such a Wuuuuh decision.

Ultimate Member

Hopefully this isn't another TDW-type situation. Marvel micromanaging to the point where they drive off several directors, and the micro-manage the actual director to the point that he was unable to make the best film that he could have otherwise. They also apparently meddled in TIH and IM 2 pretty heavily as well, but let Whedon, Gunn, and Black mostly do their own thing. So it appears to depend on the director.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Hopefully this isn't another TDW-type situation. Marvel micromanaging to the point where they drive off several directors, and the micro-manage the actual director to the point that he was unable to make the best film that he could have otherwise. They also apparently meddled in TIH and IM 2 pretty heavily as well, but let Whedon, Gunn, and Black mostly do their own thing. So it appears to depend on the director.
    The MCU movies have been at their best when they're not concerned with integration as a top priority. Iron Man 3 is as much a Shane Black movie as it is a Marvel movie, and it really succeeds for that reason, especially compared to its predecessor IM2, which tries way too hard to build up the Avengers movie. Cap 2 may seem like a successful case of MCU integration, but when you read interviews with the Russo brothers, it's clear that it was exactly the movie that they wanted to make. Guardians of the Galaxy is hopefully a continuation of this trend.
    Russia is cold, why can't Batman have a warm hat?

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    but they should micromanage imo . We've seen how much liberties Hollywood takes for adaptation ... I should hope that Marvel , wich still let quite a lot slide and doesnt do verbatim copies of the comics , would keep it tight and know what they want with those properties .

I doubt they let Whedon and Co do whatever they want . It probably just mostly fit what they wanted , and well Whedon can drive some stuff home now , with a massive success under his belt . ANyway bottom line is , i trust Marvel on this one . Just like i trusted them when they let go of the original Thor 2 director , and ended up with a great movie