Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

I had faith Wright could make a movie I'd want to see.

Now without him, I am torn because I'm really not that much of a Scott Lang fan to see a movie with him at the forefront. Hopefully, it will be good enough that I over come this worry but it certainly doesn't fill me with confidence.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic Eye View Post
    I for one am really really happy hearing this news. It's made my day. Love Edgar Wright's movies, but never believed for a moment his edgy comedic style would be well suited for Ant-Man who is essentially an action sci-fi super hero. The whole 60's heist super spy premise sounded corny anyway.

The next thing they need to do is get rid of Rudd and Douglas and actually have an actor play a contemporary Hank Pym aka the longest serving original Ant-Man and founding member of the Avengers, creator of Ultron.
    if we're only talking about original ant-men, he's definately the longest serving. but Scott Lang, the actual Ant-man, beat his record a long time ago.

Hank (and i'm being generous) first appeared in Tales to Astonish #27 (Jan. 1962)
    Hank became Giant-Man in November 1963.

Scott debuted as Ant-Man in Marvel Premiere #47 (April 1979). he never changed that identity and has been Ant-Man up to the present. now he was deceased for a couple of years. but i would point out that he was also Ant-man in the afterlife; appearing in X-Statix Presents: Dead Girl. it's actually very simple math.

Is following a director similar to following comic creators on particular series? As opposed to following a character?
    My fan fiction:

The Outstanding, a fan fic Universe where Marvel characters and stories are reshaped, revised and retold. Check it out!

The Ultimate Flash, where I take inspiration from classic Silver-Age Comics of Barry Allen and the new CW TV Show to give an old character a new spin! Click here to read!

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away the Marvel and Star Wars Universe combine! Check out Marvel: Star Wars' first family, the Fantastic Four! Read it here!

Quote Originally Posted by xMatt View Post
    Is following a director similar to following comic creators on particular series? As opposed to following a character?
    ... yeah, pretty much. Good comparison, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalen O. View Post
    Yeah, you do understand that none of that is actually going to happen? They're not changing the script, not recasting, and they're certainly not shoehorning a new character into the already shooting Avengers: Age of Ultron. All they're doing is changing directors and continuing on with their plans for production and release next summer.
    Yeah I do understand. I'm just voicing an opinion.
    TIME AND A WORD

Quote Originally Posted by Austin316 View Post
    Well, 1) No one as popular as Wright among the core audience 2) Not during production 3) Not someone who's been attached to the project for 8 years.
    I would argue that the core audience for Marvel at this point is general audiences, in which case Favreau is probably the best known, though I don't think most people could identify him.

This whole situation is strange, though I really don't see how it would've been the Pym thing. I mean, that was the original story when Wright proposed it, and Marvel seemed okay without throughout this whole time, so I'm sure it's something more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by robreedwrites View Post
    I would argue that the core audience for Marvel at this point is general audiences, in which case Favreau is probably the best known, though I don't think most people could identify him.

This whole situation is strange, though I really don't see how it would've been the Pym thing. I mean, that was the original story when Wright proposed it, and Marvel seemed okay without throughout this whole time, so I'm sure it's something more than that.
    Kenneth Branagh, who was huuuge in the 90s as a director/actor, also did Thor. I mention it and general audiences are surprised to hear it, even though he's off the Marvel projects now.

Also, some may recognise Alan Taylor, director or Thor 2, as the director on TV Shows like SatC and GoT.
    My fan fiction:

The Outstanding, a fan fic Universe where Marvel characters and stories are reshaped, revised and retold. Check it out!

The Ultimate Flash, where I take inspiration from classic Silver-Age Comics of Barry Allen and the new CW TV Show to give an old character a new spin! Click here to read!

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away the Marvel and Star Wars Universe combine! Check out Marvel: Star Wars' first family, the Fantastic Four! Read it here!

Since he'd been lolly gagging and back burnering this project for eight years, he probably asked if he could postpone it while he directed two MORE movies and Fiege told him they had a release date and Wright was all "Hey, man, you're interfering with my creative direction of this movie coming out in 2020 or whatever...I'm outta here."

No great loss. Wright is a marginally talented director with a small, vocal fan base.

And talking about Tom Cruise being in his sixties makes me feel old. Stop that.
    "You can talk your way out of almost anything." - Fortune Cookie Proverb

T. Foolery's unwieldy, yet not entirely unimpressive, collection of funny books.

This makes me really sad.

I really think that Marvel should consider changing it so that Rudd is Pym and Douglas is van Dyne. The dynamic would be similar, and we could get the original and be able to introduce Wasp.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

This is soul-crushing. I was so pumped for this movie.

WOW! And I was having a pretty good day. It's a Friday. I went to see Godzilla for a second time. My friend was really happy with the birthday gift we had bought.

This really sucks balls. I think this is going to be a move that Marvel Studios will regret. After The Dark World fiasco with Alan Taylor, I'm starting to think that Marvel Studios needs to really get their **** straight when it comes to executive decisions.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathos View Post
    but they should micromanage imo . We've seen how much liberties Hollywood takes for adaptation ... I should hope that Marvel , wich still let quite a lot slide and doesnt do verbatim copies of the comics , would keep it tight and know what they want with those properties .

I doubt they let Whedon and Co do whatever they want . It probably just mostly fit what they wanted , and well Whedon can drive some stuff home now , with a massive success under his belt . ANyway bottom line is , i trust Marvel on this one . Just like i trusted them when they let go of the original Thor 2 director , and ended up with a great movie
    1. I don't have a problem with changes to the source material as long as the movie is good and it works in context.

2. Marvel makes a lot of changes from the comics. I could try and list then all, but we'd be here all night.

3. TDW wasn't a great movie imo. It was a "meh" movie, my least favorite MCU movie in fact. And a big reason was that it was essentially a glorified set up movie, which is what the first Thor movie already was. It was a movie full of wasted potential.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    I really think that Marvel should consider changing it so that Rudd is Pym and Douglas is van Dyne. The dynamic would be similar, and we could get the original and be able to introduce Wasp.
    They're not going to do that. They got a great actor to play Pym, they're not going to turn around and make him play a relatively minor character from the comics who's been dead for years in continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by SXVA View Post
    I know myself well enough to know it, and i was a big fan of Robert Downey before that. He's just too perfect as Iron Man in how i envision the character.

So far, he's the only one that absolutely can't be replaced, i like a lot of the other casting choices but i could see them being replaced at this time.

And having Whedon's direction can't be replaced either for me, that's actually what got me into the Avengers and Marvel to the point of them being my number 1... was having Whedon's thumbprint on it. After that, i was team Marvel for sure.
    I hear you, man. It will be tough for me to accept anyone other than RDJ as Tony Stark/Iron Man. I didn't even give a **** about Iron Man before the movie. Honestly, I still don't give a **** about Iron Man, except for the movies.

As far as your love for Whedon...all I gotta say is: Bravo! I love the man's work. From Buffy, to Angel, to Firefly...the man can do very LITTLE wrong, IMO. Hell, I loved season 4 of Angel and most people hate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Supernature View Post
    So he basically got fired for wanting to make his movie unique, and not in the exact same vibe as all the other generic Marvel movies ?

He did the right thing if you ask me. In case a movie tanks either commercially or critically, the first person to get blamed is the director. I wouldn't want to see my resume tarnished by something that isn't even my vision either.
    Even if Wright made this movie and it made $1 million at the box office, I know he would have been proud because it was the movie he had in mind. I can see why Marvel is being so protective, because they got a multi-billion dollar multi-franchise to worry about. For Wright, this was a passion project that I think, he lost passion for when was given some things to include that he probably didn't feel like including.

The right move for both parties, but man...i can't help but feel that we are going to miss a real gem of a movie now that Wright's gone.
    Last edited by Arfguy; 05-23-2014 at 09:49 PM. Reason: typo
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/