Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Hopefully this isn't another TDW-type situation. Marvel micromanaging to the point where they drive off several directors, and the micro-manage the actual director to the point that he was unable to make the best film that he could have otherwise. They also apparently meddled in TIH and IM 2 pretty heavily as well, but let Whedon, Gunn, and Black mostly do their own thing. So it appears to depend on the director.
    but they should micromanage imo . We've seen how much liberties Hollywood takes for adaptation ... I should hope that Marvel , wich still let quite a lot slide and doesnt do verbatim copies of the comics , would keep it tight and know what they want with those properties .

I doubt they let Whedon and Co do whatever they want . It probably just mostly fit what they wanted , and well Whedon can drive some stuff home now , with a massive success under his belt . ANyway bottom line is , i trust Marvel on this one . Just like i trusted them when they let go of the original Thor 2 director , and ended up with a great movie

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    WHOA! What the heck happened?

This guy has been working on this for the past few years now, and now he just doesn't get to be director anymore?
    Happens in Hollywood more than you know.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mahes View Post
    Probably for the best if they just scrap the movie entirely. Ant-man was always going to be the riskiest of Marvel's announced movies. Even Guardians had a good hook that would not make it as risky but Ant-man? Not that strong of a chance.
    I agree...being a supporting character in the Avengers is probably the best way to go. I wonder if he may to to NetFlix or something.

BANNED

Damn shame, but if it what Wright wanted didn't jive with the greater MCU vision... I can understand.
    Still would have been nice for it not to go down like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Its ogre, the MCU is falling apart as I predicted. They place to much emphasis on continuity which by definition requires editorial interference.
    This isn't the first time a director has walked off a Marvel film.
    So no, it's not over because Ant-Man will have to find a new director.

That's just silly to think so.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathos View Post
    but they should micromanage imo . We've seen how much liberties Hollywood takes for adaptation ... I should hope that Marvel , wich still let quite a lot slide and doesnt do verbatim copies of the comics , would keep it tight and know what they want with those properties .

I doubt they let Whedon and Co do whatever they want . It probably just mostly fit what they wanted , and well Whedon can drive some stuff home now , with a massive success under his belt . ANyway bottom line is , i trust Marvel on this one . Just like i trusted them when they let go of the original Thor 2 director , and ended up with a great movie
    They should micromanage...to a degree.

There's no point in hiring different directorial voices if they're not going to give that director room to breathe.

Marvel clearly had faith in Wright's original vision or they would have never greenlit the film.

Aside from MCU integration, I can't imagine anything so large that Wright would feel the need to leave what was for him a dream project.

I WILL accept the duo behind 21 Jump Street and The Lego Movie. I think they'd be awesome, although I kind of wish Sony would snatch them up for the next series of Spider-man films.

BANNED

To all the people freaking out about Marvel meddling: don't!

It's their universe and so far they have done a bang up job of making sure these movies are great. So don't be freaks out because of these news. For all we know maybe Wright wasn't being that faithful to the source material and Marvel didn't accept it.

No one should throw stones if they don't know the details of what happened.

I have faith in Marvel, they haven't let us down yet.

Astonishing Member

I say they should push up the Doctor Strange or BP film and make it a November release so they have a few months to get to production stage, rather than try to make Ant-man work without the guy behind its reason for existing.

BANNED

I hope they can this project ant-man never deserved a movie in the first place if he has no Ultron then there is no point.

BANNED

I'm not counting this movie out just yet.
    It's a shame Wright and Marvel couldn't come to an agreement of the films vision... but it happens.

Now we just wait and see who the new director is.

Sorry if somebody's brought it up, but didn't this happen with Jon Favreau, who was originally going to direct Avengers? Also to a degree Ed Norton?

Also Disney's had some shakeups with directing for the recent Pixar projects such as Brave and the yet-to-be-released Good Dinosaur.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceebiro View Post
    I say they should push up the Doctor Strange or BP film and make it a November release so they have a few months to get to production stage, rather than try to make Ant-man work without the guy behind its reason for existing.
    I don't think they can do a BP movie. Are we even sure who actually has those rights?
    Last edited by Mahes; 05-23-2014 at 01:50 PM. Reason: typo

Hopefully this means Hank gets to be the main Ant-Man now.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by vaf2675 View Post
    To all the people freaking out about Marvel meddling: don't!

It's their universe and so far they have done a bang up job of making sure these movies are great. So don't be freaks out because of these news. For all we know maybe Wright wasn't being that faithful to the source material and Marvel didn't accept it.

No one should throw stones if they don't know the details of what happened.

I have faith in Marvel, they haven't let us down yet.
    This pretty much right here sums up my feelings.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Too bad they can't get Joe Cornish to direct Ant-Man as he is Edgar's buddy. Cornish co-wrote/pitched the film to Marvel alongside Edgar.

They don't even have a script for Black Panther let alone cast/crew/director and Doctor Strange isn't far enough along to take Ant-Man's place so unless you want Marvel to rush out something terrible which no real fan should want neither of those characters should take Ant-Man's release date next year.

Ant-Man has a cast, crew, studio all already booked. It would cost Disney/Marvel money to pull the plug at this point. It would be easier for Marvel to tweak the script and get another director at this point. I'm sure Marvel has met enough directors down the years to have one on speed dial who might suit this movie.
    Last edited by chamber-music; 05-23-2014 at 01:56 PM.

While I don't plan on rending my garments or running around in panicked circles since the fallout of this is too early to tell, I am very disappointed to hear this. A labor of love from a director with some quirk seemed perfect for this.