Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Sorry if somebody's brought it up, but didn't this happen with Jon Favreau, who was originally going to direct Avengers? Also to a degree Ed Norton?
    Favreau agreed to rush Iron Man 2 so he could also do Avengers, but it didn't make the money they hoped it would so Joss Whedon did Avengers instead.

There was some tension between Ed Norton and Marvel Studios after he rewrote a significant portion of The Incredible Hulk and didn't receive credit for it. He also didn't get the pay and screentime he wanted for Avengers, so they recast.
    Russia is cold, why can't Batman have a warm hat?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Hopefully this means Hank gets to be the main Ant-Man now.
    Why would Marvel dump Paul Rudd and Michael Douglas, two big names, just to make Pym the central character?
    You recast Rudd as Pym, then you lose Douglas, an actor with a lot of credibility.

As much as I love Ant-Man, we already have plenty of scientists with awkward, nerdy quirks in the Marvel Cinemetic Universe; although as a Marvel fan, I know these characters are distinct enough, but I'm not sure if the general audience needs another character from the science corner. And yes, I know that this film focuses on Scott Lang, who doesn't fall into that category, but still. I agree with Ceebiro-- that with Wright gone, I'd rather see a push for Doctor Strange and other characters that would bring something new to the MCU.

However, with that said, I still wouldn't mind an Ant-Man film.
    I like boys, comics, Disney, and traveling. // follow me @ itsnickmen
    “Have courage and be kind. Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.”
    Cinderella

Quote Originally Posted by Mahes View Post
    Probably for the best if they just scrap the movie entirely. Ant-man was always going to be the riskiest of Marvel's announced movies. Even Guardians had a good hook that would not make it as risky but Ant-man? Not that strong of a chance.
    Scott Lang is an interesting enough character to base a movie on. I'm actually more excited for this than GOTG and Avengers 2

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by vaf2675 View Post
    To all the people freaking out about Marvel meddling: don't!

It's their universe and so far they have done a bang up job of making sure these movies are great. So don't be freaks out because of these news. For all we know maybe Wright wasn't being that faithful to the source material and Marvel didn't accept it.

No one should throw stones if they don't know the details of what happened.

I have faith in Marvel, they haven't let us down yet.
    Yeah, Edgar Wright is a fiercely independent filmmaker and I'm not surprised that he ultimately didn't want to work within the restrictions of a shared movie universe, nor am I surprised that Marvel ultimately decided they did not want to leave a film in their shared universe solely in the hands of a fiercely independent filmmaker. This was a good fit years ago, not so much now. Still disappointing, though.

Boo! This sucks.

Incredible Member

Not sure why everyone is assuming Marvel was responsible for this decision. I think its far more likely it was Wright's choice. He conceived of this movie in 2006, back before there even was a MCU. Marvel's had the past eight years to get to know his vision, his process, his methodology and quirks. And they have far more on the line, considering their value is in their brand, the quality of their movies and their cohesiveness. If Marvel saw irreconcilable differences with Wright's creative vision, it would have come up long before now, and they wouldn't have waited until parts were already cast and they were about ready to shoot to boot him off the film.

No, Wright's the same as he's always been. It's Marvel that's changed, from the mere idea it was back in 2006 into a sprawling cross medium behemoth. Any creative differences are far more likely to be on Wright's side, having trouble fitting his vision for Ant Man into the framework that now exists (and to a degree, limits him). Especially considering a large part of Ant Man is influenced by the past, with Hank Pym's older character - but what was once a clean slate for the Marvel U's past, is now a very busy timeline of past global events that have to be considered.

And if that's the case, there's really no blame to throw around. Yes, Marvel took their time moving forward on the film, but that also has a lot to do with Wright's own prior commitments not making it possible to fit this movie in early on in the Marvel U's building process. Sometimes, hell, a LOT of times, these things just happen. No, its not typical for a director to leave a film this late in the game, but nothing about Marvel films' processes can really be considered typical, since the whole super-franchise is pretty much unprecedented.

Something's off here. Marvel's managed to work with the likes of James Gunn and the Russos just fine, but couldn't with Edgar Wright? Even after delaying production, letting this cook for nearly a decade and shifting the MCU's direction to accommodate him?

Something else happened, I'd say.
    Last edited by Sprite; 05-23-2014 at 02:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateTy View Post
    Scott Lang is an interesting enough character to base a movie on. I'm actually more excited for this than GOTG and Avengers 2
    I'm glad you like the character but broski's post is spot on regarding distinction of characters. Plus, have you asked non comic reading people about Ant-Man? Only Aquaman was considered a bigger joke to "causuals".

Marvel needs to move from the science area of the MCU and focus on the other IP they have rights to.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by joeshan View Post
    Yeah, Edgar Wright is a fiercely independent filmmaker and I'm not surprised that he ultimately didn't want to work within the restrictions of a shared movie universe, nor am I surprised that Marvel ultimately decided they did not want to leave a film in their shared universe solely in the hands of a fiercely independent filmmaker. This was a good fit years ago, not so much now. Still disappointing, though.
    I'm thinking this may have been a major reason.
    Marvel may have been asking for him to integrate more of the film into the MCU, which he probably wasn't keen on.

That being said, any director who goes into these films should know that some of their vision will be compromised for the greater MCU.

These are interwoven films that cross movies and media now.
    It's kind of new territory and some directors will have to adjust to that.

replacement(s): Reggie Hudlin; Antoine Fuqua...

side note: who is the ultra-secretive executive who plays a role in Marvel/Disney affairs? There was an article a year or so ago...

Quote Originally Posted by Alvarez View Post

This isn't the first time a director has walked off a Marvel film.
    So no, it's not over because Ant-Man will have to find a new director.

That's just silly to think so.
    You should probably ignore the first half of my post, however my second point is my foremost criticism of Marvel's movieverse and what I hope DC tries to avoid, but probably won't. One of the reasons so many people dislike comics is where a single story has multiple tie ins, prequels, supplemental material, etc and that's what its becoming. Cap 2 ties into Avengers 2, where Thor 2 ties into GotG which ties into whatever. If done well the pay off can be huge, but it requires high editorial interference and stories that exist outside the larger story get culled or reshaped to fit the wider narrative. In comics we hate when editorials infringe on creators for the sake of continuity and somehow though their movie universe would escape this doom.

Sure other Marvel movies have had major changes in directors and other key roles, foremost being Thor 2 in which it showed. However Wright had tried to make this movie for 8 years and is the foremost reason why the movie is getting made. The movie just lost its spirit and though it might be possible to get it back, it will be hard to recover from this.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rozen View Post
    Something's off here. Marvel's managed to work with the likes of James Gunn and the Russos just fine, bit couldn't with Edgar Wright? Even after delaying production, letting this cook for nearly a decade and shifting the MCU's direction to accommodate him?

Something else happened, I'd say.
    Totally different. The Russos were directing their first film, and Gunn hasn't directed anything that made a dent at the box office. Both were risks in the sense that they were mostly unproven with the genre, but not risks in the sense that neither had enough clout to push back against Marvel in any real way. Edgar Wright, however, is an established, successful filmmaker who is used to having almost complete control over his projects. Not a good fit for the current Marvel Studios.

Well between this and DOFP being so well received, the MCU is facing its first real challenge.

Should just let Wright do what he wants, what's the problem?

Spaced and Scott Pilgrim!!

I'd trust his vision. Loved both.
    Last edited by SXVA; 05-23-2014 at 02:07 PM.