Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MollyBarton View Post
    I wonder what could have happened. This was his baby. He really wanted to get Ant-Man on the big screen...and now someone else is just going to take over?
    It was never really his baby. Marvel always had primary custody. My guess is that his desire to modify the custody agreement led to the split.

This is a shame. Edgar Wright is someone I've followed since Asylum and so I was so excited by the idea of Edgar making a Marvel flick. In my uneducated opinion this wasn't down to story or tone, I wouldn't be surprised if this is due to visual style, anyone who's seen Asylum, Spaced, Shaun, Fuzz, Worlds End and Scott Pilgrim knows that Edgar has bit of a certain visual style, maybe Marvel felt it wasn't especially consistent with the style of the other films and asked him to tone down things like the crash-zooms, jump cuts and visual flairs that he adds and he said he didn't want to... That's just my perspective on it.

I'm curious about who they've chosen as a replacement. The fact they said production won't be halted and an announcement will be made soon says to me that there is someone lined up who was either already close to the project or was courted for a bit before this announcement. My money is on Joe Cornish, being a bright, young, fun director who co-wrote the film, it wouldn't surprise me if he had been approached. With only one film under his belt he might be more willing to fall in line stylistically (if that was the cause for the split).
    Last edited by Austin316; 05-23-2014 at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alvarez View Post
    As is with moth recasting, James Bond in particular.
    But if these go with the right replacement, it'll be gravy.
    No one can replace Downey Jr as Iron Man for me now. Just can't. Even when i read the character in Comics, i now picture Downey. Sure anyone technically can be replaced, but for me that's always going to be my Iron Man.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SXVA View Post
    No one can replace Downey Jr as Iron Man for me now. Just can't. Even when i read the character in Comics, i now picture Downey. Sure anyone technically can be replaced, but for me that's always going to be my Iron Man.
    You say that now, but when the time comes you may be surprised.
    It is hard to picture anyone who isn't RDJ playing the role... but I'll keep an open mind.

I'm willing to be surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin316 View Post
    This is a shame. Edgar Wright is someone I've followed since Asylum and so I was so excited by the idea of Edgar making a Marvel flick. In my uneducated opinion this wasn't down to story or tone, I wouldn't be surprised if this is due to visual style, anyone who's seen Asylum, Spaced, Shaun, Fuzz, Worlds End and Scott Pilgrim knows that Edgar has bit of a certain visual style, maybe Marvel felt it wasn't especially consistent with the style of the other films and asked him to tone down things like the crash-zooms, jump cuts and visual flairs that he adds and he said he didn't want to... That's just my perspective on it.

I'm curious about who they've chosen as a replacement. The fact they said production won't be halted and an announcement will be made soon says to me that there is someone lined up who was either already close to the project or was courted for a bit before this announcement. My money is on Joe Cornish, being a bright, young, fun director who co-wrote the film, it wouldn't surprise me if he had been approached. With only one film under his belt he might be more willing to fall in line stylistically (if that was the cause for the split).
    I agree Joe Cornish would be the only suitable replacement

BANNED

Marvel has a clear path mapped out of how they want to expand their universe, and no one person is going to be able to come in and make whatever changes they think
    would be better to any of the movies. They don't need or want a bunch of different directors who refuse to work within the parameters of the MCU so they can put their own
    special spin on these properties. I'm sure all this is covered when the contracts are signed. Nobody goes into one of these things without all of that made perfectly clear.
    Edgar Wright was getting paid a lot of money. Marvel will have their pick of his replacement, and anybody else who wants to leave any of these films. If they can't follow
    the vision that the studio has set, then they don't need to be there. Plenty of others are dying to take their spot.

You say that now, but when the time comes you may be surprised.
    It is hard to picture anyone who isn't RDJ playing the role... but I'll keep an open mind.

I'm willing to be surprised.
    I know myself well enough to know it, and i was a big fan of Robert Downey before that. He's just too perfect as Iron Man in how i envision the character.

So far, he's the only one that absolutely can't be replaced, i like a lot of the other casting choices but i could see them being replaced at this time.

And having Whedon's direction can't be replaced either for me, that's actually what got me into the Avengers and Marvel to the point of them being my number 1... was having Whedon's thumbprint on it. After that, i was team Marvel for sure.
    Last edited by SXVA; 05-23-2014 at 02:52 PM.

Spectacular Member

Marvel should just get Jeffrey Dean Morgan when RDJ leaves. They're basically twins, and they're both good actors.

Anyway, on-topic, I'm predicting that Wright left because he just wasn't feeling it anymore. It's easy to get burnt out on stuff.

I was on the fence with Rudd but Wright leaving means rental for me ... maybe.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

BANNED

I know myself well enough to know it, and i was a big fan of Robert Downey before that. He's just too perfect as Iron Man in how i envision the character.

So far, he's the only one that absolutely can't be replaced, i like a lot of the other casting choices but i could see them being replaced at this time.

And having Whedon's direction can't be replaced either for me, that's actually what got me into the Avengers and Marvel to the point of them being my number 1... was having Whedon's thumbprint on it. After that, i was team Marvel.
    I don't know what to say then.
    All I know is that I'm on this ride for the long haul and whatever changes come with it.

If you wanna get off, then you have every right.

My first reaction

Sorry to hear this, Wright has been working on this for years.
    My fan fiction:

The Outstanding, a fan fic Universe where Marvel characters and stories are reshaped, revised and retold. Check it out!

The Ultimate Flash, where I take inspiration from classic Silver-Age Comics of Barry Allen and the new CW TV Show to give an old character a new spin! Click here to read!

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away the Marvel and Star Wars Universe combine! Check out Marvel: Star Wars' first family, the Fantastic Four! Read it here!

I don't know what to say then.
    All I know is that I'm on this ride for the long haul and whatever changes come with it.

If you wanna get off, then you have every right.
    Oh, i won't be jumping ship any time soon.... unless Whedon went to DC.

Just saying, if Robert Downey was replaced it wouldn't be accepted by me haha.... would be like out of continuity or something. Even if Iron Man was changed to Female, when i read it i'd still picture Downey as Iron Man.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    I was on the fence with Rudd but Wright leaving means rental for me ... maybe.
    Support it if Cornish directs, the guy is so so so talented! Obviously if he directs and it looks crap then ignore my comment

Quote Originally Posted by Austin316 View Post
    This seems possible, but it's just really weird that it would happen now. The other thing that seems off is that Kevin Feige hasn't really had too much of a problem letting directors have a great deal of creative input. I mean, Iron Man 3 is as much of a Shane Black movie as a PG-13 movie could possibly be, and James Gunn was told that the first draft of Guardians didn't have "enough James Gunn" in it, whatever that means. Plus, it's not like Marvel didn't know what they were getting when they hired Edgar Wright. That would be like hiring Wes Anderson and being surprised by the bright colors, neatly arranged sets, Rolling Stones songs, and close-ups of people writing letters.
    Russia is cold, why can't Batman have a warm hat?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Batmankoff View Post
    This seems possible, but it's just really weird that it would happen now. The other thing that seems off is that Kevin Feige hasn't really had too much of a problem letting directors have a great deal of creative input. I mean, Iron Man 3 is as much of a Shane Black movie as a PG-13 movie could possibly be, and James Gunn was told that the first draft of Guardians didn't have "enough James Gunn" in it, whatever that means. Plus, it's not like Marvel didn't know what they were getting when they hired Edgar Wright. That would be like hiring Wes Anderson and being surprised by the bright colors, neatly arranged sets, Rolling Stones songs, and close-ups of people writing letters.
    It's possible that Wright didn't want the movie to be that integrated into the MCU and wanted more of a standalone thing.
    He's a very indie director with his own unique vision.

I could totally see that being the case.