Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

You know, I've been thinking, so I'm going to make my prediction here- the next Iron Man= Tom Cruise. That guy hasn't done a superhero. He'll be looking to make mad bank and to reinvigorate himself. Marvel will be looking for a big name after RDJ. Depp won't do it. Cruise probably will. My .02 Let's see if I'm right in a few years and I can look back at this post and say I said it first. I actually hope I'm wrong... but sometimes I'm right...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Supernature View Post
    But honestly, when someone leaves a project after having worked on it for nearly a decade over "creative differences", it doesn't sound like it was his fault to me.
    No one is saying it was his or Marvels fault.
    This could have been a mutual decision.

Not everything is cut and dry black in white good director bad studio.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagreus View Post
    You know, I've been thinking, so I'm going to make my prediction here- the next Iron Man= Tom Cruise. That guy hasn't done a superhero. He'll be looking to make mad bank and to reinvigorate himself. Marvel will be looking for a big name after RDJ. Depp won't do it. Cruise probably will. My .02 Let's see if I'm right in a few years and I can look back at this post and say I said it first. I actually hope I'm wrong... but sometimes I'm right...
    Tom Cruise is 51, with Downey Jr signed on to at least Avengers 3, Tom Cruise will be pushing 60 (if not past it) by the time they recast.

BANNED

When it comes time to replace RDJ, it will likely be because he's gotten too old. Even if he just gets tired of it, they're not going to go with someone even older than he is.

Really quick -- there a lot of speculation and great discussion going on, which is awesome, but there are people on the thread saying that Wright was fired. That's not what the statement jointly released by Marvel and Wright says. The article has it in full, but here it is just in case you haven't seen it yet, here it is:

"Marvel and Edgar Wright jointly announced today that the studio and director have parted ways on ANT-MAN due to differences in their vision of the film. The decision to move on is amicable and does not impact the release date on July 17, 2015. A new director will be announced shortly."

That's the entire statement. The film, as of right now, will still move forward as scheduled, but without Wright. What happens next is really anybody's guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Alvarez View Post
    No one is saying it was his or Marvels fault.
    This could have been a mutual decision.

Not everything is cut and dry black in white good director bad studio.
    I doubt it was a mutual decision. Usually "creative differences" means something big happened behind the scenes that they don't want us to know.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    If that happens to a property like Ant-Man, who lets face it is relatively unkown to non-readers, this film will sink like a stone. They should just pull the plug now and forget the whole thing.
    So Marvel Studios and Disney should throw away all of the time and money they have invested in this film... just because the director has declined to further continue the project?
    Should they have have pulled the plug on Avengers as well?

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    I doubt it was a mutual decision. Usually "creative differences" means something big happened behind the scenes that they don't want us to know.
    It's too early for anyone to say something like that.
    As of now we don't really know anything.

People really wanna pin this on either side.

BANNED

Well (A) when (not if, when) they do recast the role, they will almost certainly go with an actor younger than Downey is now. Cruise is actually a few years older. (B) A big part of the reason why they're likely to recast the role is money. Downey may be looking for other things to do, but he could also likely be convinced to stay for enough money. But however much money it would take to keep Downey is almost certainly going to be less than the amount it would take to get Tom Cruise. (C) You're not the first person to suggest Cruise as Downey's replacement. Not by a long shot.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    But that doesn't preclude the split being a mutual decision.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sunu View Post
    Really quick -- there a lot of speculation and great discussion going on, which is awesome, but there are people on the thread saying that Wright was fired. That's not what the statement jointly released by Marvel and Wright says. The article has it in full, but here it is just in case you haven't seen it yet, here it is:

"Marvel and Edgar Wright jointly announced today that the studio and director have parted ways on ANT-MAN due to differences in their vision of the film. The decision to move on is amicable and does not impact the release date on July 17, 2015. A new director will be announced shortly."

That's the entire statement. The film, as of right now, will still move forward as scheduled, but without Wright. What happens next is really anybody's guess.
    People would rather point fingers than wait for or look act the facts that we currently have.
    It's easier to cast blame on someone than realize there's an alternative reason.

Eh, people like gossip.

There's a well known story about Cruise wanting to be Iron Man, and I agree, he might have been OK in the role...about ten years ago. Assuming Downey remains as Iron Man for Avengers 3, which I assume will be out in 2018, and the next Avengers or Iron Man is at least a year beyond that, that will put Cruise at age 57. I'm OK with a little leeway as far as character age, but that's just a bit too old for this role Yes, he won't look 57 but we'll all know it and I assume they wouldn't want to have him in just one film. With the movies coming 2-3 years apart, he could be well into his sixties by the time he's completed even three go rounds as Stark.

That just doesn't seem feasible to me.

BANNED

Cruise WAS attached to an Iron Man project back in the mid to late nineties I think

and sad to see Wright leave but sometimes brilliant minds can't work together

BANNED

Perhaps it was a decision to make the film more serious or less serious. I am interested in what the creative differences were.

Nice to see adults in the industry acting like adults. Good on em--both Wright and Marvel for moving on amicably/

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    Well, there goes my interest in the movie, I guess.
    It'll still be mostly his script and production crew, though, right? Until I hear "Marvel Studios Drastically Shift from Wright's Creative Ideas" I don't imagine they'd change too much.
    My fan fiction:

The Outstanding, a fan fic Universe where Marvel characters and stories are reshaped, revised and retold. Check it out!

The Ultimate Flash, where I take inspiration from classic Silver-Age Comics of Barry Allen and the new CW TV Show to give an old character a new spin! Click here to read!

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away the Marvel and Star Wars Universe combine! Check out Marvel: Star Wars' first family, the Fantastic Four! Read it here!

Like other speculation, this could be false. One commenter on Reddit posted the following: "The word from people on the crew is Wright got booted for being REALLY behind schedule and being ineffective at righting the ship and getting it back on track. Production has been bleeding money for a month and Marvel got fed up with him and they lost their confidence in his ability to manage a production of this size."