Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    iMan 42s

Default Why didn't Odin just create a replacement Hammer?

So with the new Thor's identity revealed I thought I would just ask one simple question.

Why didn't Odin just create a replacement hammer?

Asgard is clearly capable of making numerous hammers as evident by the numerous other Thor's over the years, so that begs the question of why Odin simply didn't provide a replacement until Thor was worthy again. I mean the hammer is important and all but to see Thor who out of no where has lost his name, apparently his title, and is wallowing in shame for a secret revealed to him that WASNT REVEALED TO US, it seems weird that Odin wouldn't provide a replacement. Granted the Axe is good enough but for someone like Thor who is the Hammer wielding Thunder God it just is more appropriate for him to wield the hammer. And still even the psychology behind it for Thor a guy who is almost defined by the hammer suddenly cant use it and all that power that came with it, why couldn't he just get a replacement? Granted it wouldn't be the same hammer but a stand in for the real thing might make Thor a bit happier considering what is probably a catastrophic power loss. I mean to have your identity and then you just don't.

I mean Odin can create all of these weapons and has all this power. I figure he wants to reclaim his son's weapon but after a point wouldn't he just provide a replacement until Mijolnir is recovered? This is almost like if Iron man was suddenly locked out of his armor and someone else was using it. After trying to reclaim it and failing wouldn't he just build another weapon in the mean time until he got it back? I don't know I'm finding it hard to believe that for all the Asgardian magic and resources that Odin wouldn't just have handled this. And even if Odin couldn't then why couldn't Stark simply build a replacement? Stark would've likely jumped at the chance of one upping Odin when it came to Hammers. And that would have fit Thor's unworthiness due to him having to make due with a mortal tool bringing himself down to mortal levels while still being absurdly powerful.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Because they want to push the female Thor.

My personal theory is that Odin is no longer omnipotent due to a mythological change enacted by the most recent reign of the All-Mother. In my opinion this is what the recent volume of Thor was all about. He just cannot make a new hammer like he could before without coming to an arrangement with the feminine powers. But Odin has a blind spot when it comes to the feminine parts of the pantheon. They have always represented other areas of mythology in the past and not had any part of the previously paternal power of kingship.

This is a mythological shift that has occurred while he was away and he is trying to reassert himself the way he always used to. Which isn't working out for him. He is feeling impotent and frustrated because he hasn’t realised what has happened. He is resorting to a masculine alliance with his brother, in the theory that two Sons of Bor must be able to reassert their power together.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Because Marvel went to a lot of effort to give Odinson the axe.

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

Odin doesn't like being denied and making a new hammer is admitting defeat.

Spectacular Member

What if he was given another weapon, instead of hammer?
    I will like to see Thor using Bow-arrow.
    Will look cool!
    Kudos to Maureen O'Connell of Scholastic for getting us the Harry Potter series.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    Because Marvel went to a lot of effort to give Odinson the axe.
    ooh the puns
    What we used to call life has very little worth these days. Welcome to the very edge.
    --Prince Namor (Earth-616)