Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    iMan 42s

Default Why didn't Odin just create a replacement Hammer?

So with the new Thor's identity revealed I thought I would just ask one simple question.

Why didn't Odin just create a replacement hammer?

Asgard is clearly capable of making numerous hammers as evident by the numerous other Thor's over the years, so that begs the question of why Odin simply didn't provide a replacement until Thor was worthy again. I mean the hammer is important and all but to see Thor who out of no where has lost his name, apparently his title, and is wallowing in shame for a secret revealed to him that WASNT REVEALED TO US, it seems weird that Odin wouldn't provide a replacement. Granted the Axe is good enough but for someone like Thor who is the Hammer wielding Thunder God it just is more appropriate for him to wield the hammer. And still even the psychology behind it for Thor a guy who is almost defined by the hammer suddenly cant use it and all that power that came with it, why couldn't he just get a replacement? Granted it wouldn't be the same hammer but a stand in for the real thing might make Thor a bit happier considering what is probably a catastrophic power loss. I mean to have your identity and then you just don't.

I mean Odin can create all of these weapons and has all this power. I figure he wants to reclaim his son's weapon but after a point wouldn't he just provide a replacement until Mijolnir is recovered? This is almost like if Iron man was suddenly locked out of his armor and someone else was using it. After trying to reclaim it and failing wouldn't he just build another weapon in the mean time until he got it back? I don't know I'm finding it hard to believe that for all the Asgardian magic and resources that Odin wouldn't just have handled this. And even if Odin couldn't then why couldn't Stark simply build a replacement? Stark would've likely jumped at the chance of one upping Odin when it came to Hammers. And that would have fit Thor's unworthiness due to him having to make due with a mortal tool bringing himself down to mortal levels while still being absurdly powerful.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Because they want to push the female Thor.

My personal theory is that Odin is no longer omnipotent due to a mythological change enacted by the most recent reign of the All-Mother. In my opinion this is what the recent volume of Thor was all about. He just cannot make a new hammer like he could before without coming to an arrangement with the feminine powers. But Odin has a blind spot when it comes to the feminine parts of the pantheon. They have always represented other areas of mythology in the past and not had any part of the previously paternal power of kingship.

This is a mythological shift that has occurred while he was away and he is trying to reassert himself the way he always used to. Which isn't working out for him. He is feeling impotent and frustrated because he hasn’t realised what has happened. He is resorting to a masculine alliance with his brother, in the theory that two Sons of Bor must be able to reassert their power together.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Because Marvel went to a lot of effort to give Odinson the axe.

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

Odin doesn't like being denied and making a new hammer is admitting defeat.

Spectacular Member

What if he was given another weapon, instead of hammer?
    I will like to see Thor using Bow-arrow.
    Will look cool!
    Kudos to Maureen O'Connell of Scholastic for getting us the Harry Potter series.

Didn't Odin go through the entire process of making another hammer way back when for Beta-Ray Bill? He worked with the dwarves using more uru to create Stormbreaker for Beta-Ray Bill, though I'm not sure if it was as complicated or powerful as Mjolnir.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Byakko View Post
    Didn't Odin go through the entire process of making another hammer way back when for Beta-Ray Bill? He worked with the dwarves using more uru to create Stormbreaker for Beta-Ray Bill, though I'm not sure if it was as complicated or powerful as Mjolnir.
    Stormbreaker is every bit the equal of Mjolnir. Odin even transferred a spell or two onto Bill's hammer that was on Mjolnir. Note, I said transferred. Odin didn't simply cast a new spell on Stormbreaker, which makes you wonder what it took out of Odin to put the spells on Mjolnir in the first place.

Odin, or rather the dwarves, could and have made several uru hammers. That they never made enough to equip the entire Asgardian host speaks probably as much to the relationship between the dwarves and Odin, the resources necessary to make the hammer, and the effort that Odin has to put into the spells than anything else.

As far as the OP's question goes, however, it's a simple answer. Mjolnir is the most recognizable aspect of Thor's identity. It has become a character unto itself. Anyone who holds THAT hammer, not some other, is Thor.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post

As far as the OP's question goes, however, it's a simple answer. Mjolnir is the most recognizable aspect of Thor's identity. It has become a character unto itself. Anyone who holds THAT hammer, not some other, is Thor.
    And that is what has made a lot of Thor fans unhappy. Thor is a hero of several thousand years experience, who's strength comes from being the son of Odin and Gaea, not from a hammer. Only now Thor is being treated as less important than Mjolnir. I really think Thor has been devalued.

A) Odinson wasn't worthy until recently, and b) Odin isn't Doom lol

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Well, the enchantment was laid for a reason, and that reason has never gone away. It would be foolish to make a new hammer, as powerful as Mjolnir, with no worthiness clause.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    And that is what has made a lot of Thor fans unhappy. Thor is a hero of several thousand years experience, who's strength comes from being the son of Odin and Gaea, not from a hammer. Only now Thor is being treated as less important than Mjolnir. I really think Thor has been devalued.
    I understand.

As a child of Odin and Gaea (Jord), Thor should have a number of superhuman and magic-adept abilities... not that the pairing of Gaea and a Sky Father automatically produces extremely powerful offspring. After all, Gaea and Zeus hooked up to produce King Manes, who, though a king, was otherwise mortal and not especially super-powered at all. That notwithstanding, yes, Thor has a host of powers that make him one of the most resilient and formidable beings, even without Mjolnir.

Nevertheless, anyone who doubts Mjolnir's importance is simply not following the myth, either the Norse variety or Marvel's. They're possibly also suppressing their own common sense, given the emotions surrounding this debate. Although created with a defect, Mjolnir was granted abilities by Sindri and Brokkr (which Odin would later take credit for) that not only made it indispensable to Thor, but the clear cut difference maker in many battles that Thor had over the years. Thor should be diminished by the absence of Mjolnir, just as King Arthur would be diminished without Excalibur and Captain Mar-vell would be diminished without his Nega Bands. Still great, still with a host of powers, but diminished.

That said, has Thor really been devalued all that much? Is he still an Avenger? I’m told he fought and killed a Celestial – a Celestial!!! – without his hammer. That they even gave him an axe that powerful is a clear indication to me that Thor is still pretty high up on someone’s golden boy/favorite pet/untouchable-and-shall-ne’er-see-comic-book-limbo list.

Thor isn’t devalued, he’s just different. If Thor should wake up one day to find that he is 1970s - 2000s Sam Wilson, African American, de facto sidekick of a living legend as penned (and grossly mishandled in most cases) by Marvel writers of the time, then I might agree with you. Exit Mjolnir, enter Redwing. Goodbye "Forsooth!", hello "Sho' nuff!" Try that look on for about 40 years and then I might agree that they devalued Thor. And when Thor/Sam finally does get to make a name for himself, have him wear another man's costume and likeness, instead of improving on his own brand. Not once, but twice within a span of a year. (Guess who Sam gets to be in the upcoming Secret Wars? Yep, Sam Wilson is 2 for 2 when it comes to taking mantles from blonde hair, blue-eye legends.) Seriously, the next time Odin really wants to teach Thor humility, try that.

I don’t think Thor fans have anything to worry about. Thor as we know him, will be back. It’s just a question of when.

Incredible Member

Because it makes too much sense that Odin would forge a hammer for an alien named Beta Ray Bill he's known for three issues than his own son. Seriously, they're just pushing Jane Foster and want Thor to wield an axe

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Thor isn’t devalued, he’s just different. If Thor should wake up one day to find that he is 1970s - 2000s Sam Wilson, African American, de facto sidekick of a living legend as penned (and grossly mishandled in most cases) by Marvel writers of the time, then I might agree with you. Exit Mjolnir, enter Redwing. Goodbye "Forsooth!", hello "Sho' nuff!" Try that look on for about 40 years and then I might agree that they devalued Thor. And when Thor/Sam finally does get to make a name for himself, have him wear another man's costume and likeness, instead of improving on his own brand. Not once, but twice within a span of a year. (Guess who Sam gets to be in the upcoming Secret Wars? Yep, Sam Wilson is 2 for 2 when it comes to taking mantles from blonde hair, blue-eye legends.) Seriously, the next time Odin really wants to teach Thor humility, try that.

I don’t think Thor fans have anything to worry about. Thor as we know him, will be back. It’s just a question of when.
    Indeed Aaron et. al. don't seem to be devaluing him. He remains a key figure in many books across the line and is still the first son of Odin. Odinson/Thor will remain important to Marvel as long as they have interesting stories to write about him. Indeed the new Thor is just as interesting and clearly there is much mileage to be had from explorations of all the mythological and cultural symbolism around a female Thor. Mainly because the ramifications are new and illuminate the figure in interesting ways.

P.S. I would take issue with nearly all of your comparative mythology and culture paragraphs but it would be nitpicking to list my reservations here. Suffice to say, we actually know woefully little about Norse Mythology and North European symbolism. Admittedly Marvel buils upon it with abandon but that is creative and fun.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    And he still does. He has called storms and lightning since becoming unworthy. Even on the MOON, he managed to call forth lightning. Mjolnir is a symbol of his worthyness, not the source of his power, and they went out of their way to show this. Mjolnir is a powerful weapon, and did enhance his abilities, no doubt. But it is not like he's without power right now, and Jarnbjorn is not a bad weapon by any stretch. Thor is going through a rough patch, but he will most likely come through this stronger than he was before.