Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

When has Odin not been a stern and overly judgmental father in the comics?

"Daaaad! I'm sorry and I don't want to die!"

"If you're going to cry about it, the zombies of the apocalypse can have you!"

"But, Daaaaaad, the worlds are all ending and I have learned my lesson! Help me save people! Bless me, Father!"

"My son doesn't beg. Red Norville has your job. And Jake Olsen is Thor now."

"Dad... I am Jake Olsen."

"I knew he was disappointing for some reason."
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Quote Originally Posted by Sardorim View Post
    Odin doesn't like being denied and making a new hammer is admitting defeat.
    this.

also, i don't think Odin can just order up another hammer like Mjolnir. i think Uru metal is supposed to be rare. never mind that the process of forging Mjolnir almost destroyed Earth.

Finding a destination in the infinite multiverse

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    And he still does. He has called storms and lightning since becoming unworthy. Even on the MOON, he managed to call forth lightning. Mjolnir is a symbol of his worthyness, not the source of his power, and they went out of their way to show this. Mjolnir is a powerful weapon, and did enhance his abilities, no doubt. But it is not like he's without power right now, and Jarnbjorn is not a bad weapon by any stretch. Thor is going through a rough patch, but he will most likely come through this stronger than he was before.
    Thor is dead

Quote Originally Posted by Anubhavkumarc View Post
    Thor is dead
    Oh, and like THAT will stick. He's been dead before.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Thor is dead
    For the son of Odin and Gaea, that is just a "rough patch." He's not going to be missing more than a few issues, if that.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Thor is dead
    Thor is dead
    Thor remains dead
    And damn Disney killed him
    THANKS OBAMA !

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    When has Odin not been a stern and overly judgmental father in the comics?

"Daaaad! I'm sorry and I don't want to die!"

"If you're going to cry about it, the zombies of the apocalypse can have you!"

"But, Daaaaaad, the worlds are all ending and I have learned my lesson! Help me save people! Bless me, Father!"

"My son doesn't beg. Red Norville has your job. And Jake Olsen is Thor now."

"Dad... I am Jake Olsen."

"I knew he was disappointing for some reason."

Cosmic Power Squats MarvelMETHHEAD's Avatar

Well what is Thor Odinnson wearing? Khakis? Oh. Well, I suppose that's consistent.

Thor is probably just going through a redefinition of his power. He went from going toe-to-toe with Galactus to battling frost giants, he needs to be recalibrated. Aaron's God of Thunder run was more of an anthology than a series - Thor needs a consistent writer that can broadcast his powers.

After thinking about the guy, Thor is probably not the guy you would first pick to give a mighty magic hammer.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Indeed Aaron et. al. don't seem to be devaluing him. He remains a key figure in many books across the line and is still the first son of Odin. Odinson/Thor will remain important to Marvel as long as they have interesting stories to write about him. Indeed the new Thor is just as interesting and clearly there is much mileage to be had from explorations of all the mythological and cultural symbolism around a female Thor. Mainly because the ramifications are new and illuminate the figure in interesting ways.

P.S. I would take issue with nearly all of your comparative mythology and culture paragraphs but it would be nitpicking to list my reservations here. Suffice to say, we actually know woefully little about Norse Mythology and North European symbolism. Admittedly Marvel buils upon it with abandon but that is creative and fun.
    Yay even KING THOR under Aaron's pen has been a bit of a powerful, but weak in character like he lost the will to fight. By that I mean the joy of battling for what's right and that he's embarrass that his old mortal girlfriend replace him. Embarrass enough that he wouldn't even tell his grandchildren about her.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    Because Marvel went to a lot of effort to give Odinson the axe.
    ooh the puns
    What we used to call life has very little worth these days. Welcome to the very edge.
    --Prince Namor (Earth-616)

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I understand.

As a child of Odin and Gaea (Jord), Thor should have a number of superhuman and magic-adept abilities... not that the pairing of Gaea and a Sky Father automatically produces extremely powerful offspring. After all, Gaea and Zeus hooked up to produce King Manes, who, though a king, was otherwise mortal and not especially super-powered at all. That notwithstanding, yes, Thor has a host of powers that make him one of the most resilient and formidable beings, even without Mjolnir.

Nevertheless, anyone who doubts Mjolnir's importance is simply not following the myth, either the Norse variety or Marvel's. They're possibly also suppressing their own common sense, given the emotions surrounding this debate. Although created with a defect, Mjolnir was granted abilities by Sindri and Brokkr (which Odin would later take credit for) that not only made it indispensable to Thor, but the clear cut difference maker in many battles that Thor had over the years. Thor should be diminished by the absence of Mjolnir, just as King Arthur would be diminished without Excalibur and Captain Mar-vell would be diminished without his Nega Bands. Still great, still with a host of powers, but diminished.

That said, has Thor really been devalued all that much? Is he still an Avenger? I’m told he fought and killed a Celestial – a Celestial!!! – without his hammer. That they even gave him an axe that powerful is a clear indication to me that Thor is still pretty high up on someone’s golden boy/favorite pet/untouchable-and-shall-ne’er-see-comic-book-limbo list.

Thor isn’t devalued, he’s just different. If Thor should wake up one day to find that he is 1970s - 2000s Sam Wilson, African American, de facto sidekick of a living legend as penned (and grossly mishandled in most cases) by Marvel writers of the time, then I might agree with you. Exit Mjolnir, enter Redwing. Goodbye "Forsooth!", hello "Sho' nuff!" Try that look on for about 40 years and then I might agree that they devalued Thor. And when Thor/Sam finally does get to make a name for himself, have him wear another man's costume and likeness, instead of improving on his own brand. Not once, but twice within a span of a year. (Guess who Sam gets to be in the upcoming Secret Wars? Yep, Sam Wilson is 2 for 2 when it comes to taking mantles from blonde hair, blue-eye legends.) Seriously, the next time Odin really wants to teach Thor humility, try that.

I don’t think Thor fans have anything to worry about. Thor as we know him, will be back. It’s just a question of when.