Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Spiderverse #1

So I picked up a number of SW tie-ins and left this book for last

spoilers:
    This book went above and beyond all of its tie-in contemporaries. This is definitely the team book to beat of the event.

You want some Spidergwen? We got you
    Spider India? We got you too
    Spider Girl? No problem, we're not short on representation
    Spider-Uk? Downtown Webby definitely rocking large and in charge
    And spiderham for the kiddies too

Even got an extra helping of sleezy osborn to make you all nice and cozy.

Only guy e didn't get an intro to was Spiderman-Noir

They're not a team yet, so much as a bunch of loose threads at the moment, but I gotta say this book surprised me a lot in how much shine time everyone got, even if gwen got the most. And it's especially nice that they all don't bleed together personality wise.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrSurf View Post
    So I picked up a number of SW tie-ins and left this book for last

spoilers:
    This book went above and beyond all of its tie-in contemporaries. This is definitely the team book to beat of the event.

You want some Spidergwen? We got you
    Spider India? We got you too
    Spider Girl? No problem, we're not short on representation
    Spider-Uk? Downtown Webby definitely rocking large and in charge
    And spiderham for the kiddies too

Even got an extra helping of sleezy osborn to make you all nice and cozy.

Only guy e didn't get an intro to was Spiderman-Noir

They're not a team yet, so much as a bunch of loose threads at the moment, but I gotta say this book surprised me a lot in how much shine time everyone got, even if gwen got the most. And it's especially nice that they all don't bleed together personality wise.
    end of spoilers
    Spider-Man Noir wasn't in this issue.
    Comic reviews answering the question "Is it good?" every Wednesday here.

Mighty Member

That's why I said that...

Default Spider-Verse #1 Spoilers and Discussion

Wow Spider-Gwen fans are going to be loving this issue. It gets inside her head the most and she's really taking over as far as page count. Really well written too. Overall I gave this a 9 out of 10. For my full review you can read it here with pictures.

spoilers:

The book opens with Spider-Gwen taking out the Jackal who's digging up bodies in a cemetery. The body they are attempting to dig up has a crumbled gravestone. She calls the cops and before heading out visits two graves. One is for her father and the other...herself!

We then cut to some docks where Spider-Man India is scoping out some criminal activity from the Enforcers which includes Montana the lasso wielding bad guy of days gone by.

Spider-Man UK and Anya Corazon show up and take them out. Turns out it was a sting though and Ozcorp had some super powered soldiers in waiting to take them out. With the help of Spider-Man India they do quick work of them. They then discuss the odd feeling they had that they don't belong in this world. We find out Spider-Man India has been working on his spider-sense to strengthen it and use it in different ways.

We cut to Osborn who is mayor. He says there are no Spider-Man characters and takes the credit for taking out the Jackal. He hails Doom as if he were a god. Gwen is there and he points her out after he finishes. He praises her for the good work she's doing in communications at Ozcorp. We then cut to the offices where Gwen has been scoping out a special projects area. Once she's in she discovers there are other Spider characters like her, Osborn has been working on a Sinister Six and...she fins Spider Ham conked out in a bed. Osborn shows up and says he's been waiting for her.

In a backup we see how Spider Ham has been dealing in the world and it's hilarious. Eventually he ended up in a carnival where Osborn found him.
    end of spoilers

What did you guys think?!

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrSurf View Post
    That's why I said that...
    Ah. The way you worded it, it made it sound like he was in the book but didn't get an intro.

SLIGHT SPOILERS AHEAD:

Y'know, I'm very surprised that Newsarama gave this title such a low rating. Though the art was a little iffy in parts, it definitely didn't deserve a 5. Indeed, the premise elevates the title a lot. I like the notion that a lot of these Spider-Men, women (and animals) were the ones to sense that something wasn't right with their reality. It's an interesting premise which helps to legitimize this group. The only ones to realize that not everything is what it appears to be is this rag tag group of displaced Spider-Folk.

Additionally, I did like the character moments found here with Gwen and Pravitr, the latter especially. As someone who never read his comic, I'm intrigued with the rational and scientific way that he looks at things and the way he's pulling all of the other spiders together. Billy's British attitude was well-appreciated as well.

I like what I'm seeing. Here's hoping to see more!
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

So, is the team randomly brainwashed too?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sardorim View Post
    So, is the team randomly brainwashed too?
    they are, but they can tell they don't belong.

So thet are brainwashed but why? They were on Loom world or w/e so why would they be brainwashed or even pulled into Battleworld? Is Weaver mia too?

Hopefully it explains why, where the Weaver is and how they're even there ad they weren't on Earth when the incursion hit.

Mighty Member

6 of them aren't even from 616 for that incursion to matter.

And why wouldn't they be affected, if anything, they're unique in that they can actually tell something is distinctly off.

BANNED

So the Spider-Pheromones somehow connect India, Anya, and Braddock to their past lives and a tie to the great Web? Interesting...wonder if RYV Peter will tap into that to remember his own past life?

Don't think it was very wise for Gwen to unmask when she found Porker, but eh, Osborn seemed to be aware it was her anyway (well, he'd have to be, given he killed her like always in this domain)

Good issue. A little down on the art though. And I'm going to have to get used to the "God Doom" dialogue. I had the same trouble with A-Force today as well.

Finding a destination in the infinite multiverse

I'm silently smiling because I predicted the entire same thing..

Quote Originally Posted by Sardorim View Post
    So thet are brainwashed but why? They were on Loom world or w/e so why would they be brainwashed or even pulled into Battleworld? Is Weaver mia too?
    I think switching to Battleworld has made EVERYONE, non spider characters and spider characters alike, sort of lose their memories. I think a cool aspect though is the spider-sense is helping them sort of remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    SLIGHT SPOILERS AHEAD:

Y'know, I'm very surprised that Newsarama gave this title such a low rating. Though the art was a little iffy in parts, it definitely didn't deserve a 5. Indeed, the premise elevates the title a lot. I like the notion that a lot of these Spider-Men, women (and animals) were the ones to sense that something wasn't right with their reality. It's an interesting premise which helps to legitimize this group. The only ones to realize that not everything is what it appears to be is this rag tag group of displaced Spider-Folk.

Additionally, I did like the character moments found here with Gwen and Pravitr, the latter especially. As someone who never read his comic, I'm intrigued with the rational and scientific way that he looks at things and the way he's pulling all of the other spiders together. Billy's British attitude was well-appreciated as well.

I like what I'm seeing. Here's hoping to see more!
    I thought Spider-Gwen was written really well.