Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: Spider-Verse, #1

Five Spiders collide on Battleworld in Mike Costa, Andre Araujo and Steven Sanders' "Spider-Verse" #1.

Full review here.

Spectacular Member
    Octavius Core...wishing the doors would open...

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    Five Spiders collide on Battleworld in Mike Costa, Andre Araujo and Steven Sanders' "Spider-Verse" #1.

Full review here.
    So Gwen's much craved for series is cancelled so she can swing around with other spiders?

For such a new character couldn't they have given her more time on her own series?

iMan 42s

Quote Originally Posted by MatchesMalone View Post
    So Gwen's much craved for series is cancelled so she can swing around with other spiders?

For such a new character couldn't they have given her more time on her own series?
    Everything is cancelled or put on hold for Secret Wars. Gwen will be back and for the duration of Secret Wars and will be appearing like this.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by MatchesMalone View Post

I'm sure she gets her solo back after Secret Wars.

Hopefully the Spiderverse team continues even without her.

All the characters I'm following (Spider-Gwen, Ms. Marvel, Silk, and Howard the Duck) I'm following due to Secret Wars is canceled or on hold till the event is over.

I know that Ms.Marvel will be a part of the new Avengers after the Secret Wars but it is unknown if her own solo series will continue as well plus what exactly happened in their pasts and what do they know or think they know.

For Gwen I don't know what is her and her cast fate in the end will be. I love Spider-Gwen and her world and cast and had a major interest in that world and series.

Some worlds if not all might be restored (don't think that will happen but maybe a few that has garnered the interest of the public such as Earth-65). The one and only one new world/Earth could continue to be a mashup/patchwork of many worlds (and might be bigger than are own planet thus more room to fill with various characters from other earths). Or there are different earths and while not as many in the past still a few exist and each one could also be a patchwork planet.

Like Ms. Marvel Gwen could be apart of the new team of Spiders for the new world while/or having her own series again. If she has her own solo series (and I hope she does as I love the series and this Gwen plus I thought "ongoing" meant more then 5-8 issues) it's unknown if she will be back to her world, her cast, or be apart of the new world with parts of her old cast and new cast as well.

Now on to the issue itself. I found it enjoyable and I'm sad that they don't recall their pasts yet unlike every other character in the new battle-world they are the only ones to partially remember their true past plus know things are not as they seem from the get go. This makes them a VERY dangerous threat to Doom being the only ones who can potentially remember the real past and see though the lies he set up. If Doom discovers that they can possibly remember and that they know things are not what they seem he will send his Thors and everything at them.

It seems like the Barron of where they are is Osborn. It also seems like he is task to find and kill or contain and experiment of on the Spiders (or in this case the new "Sinister Six"). It's unknown if Doom wants him to or this is his personal mission. It also seems the history of 616 (or possibly and Earth with a similar history) is the dominant part of that domain. It seems his domain contains or partially contains Brooklyn, Queens, and SI and who knows if the Bronx is a part of it as well. Finally it could be that Osborn knows the truth and the real history but probably wants things to remain as they are due to holding the power (or he setting things up to gain more from the other domains later on and from Doom like some other villains might do). It's interesting that Gwen was placed in a domain where Gwen is also dead. It's might be a oversight on Doom's part in his world making history and continuity or shows how the Spider's have some sort of resistance over Doom's god history and domain set up powers. If that is the case it now understandable why Doom wants the Regent to hunt Peter and his family down in the upcoming Renew your Vows comic. The Spiders have a natural mult-verse resistance to him possibly due to being a part of the Web of Destiny and Life that possibly Doom can't control.

It also interesting that the Spider's who have some sort of close link found each other very quickly in that domain currently. For Spider-Gwen she has had some scenes with Spider-Ham during the first Spider-Verse, talks a small bit about him in issue #1 of Spider-Gwen and in issue #2 of Spider-Gwen when she has her concussion her mentor was Spider-Ham. Meanwhile both UK and Anya were together on Earth-0 when the incursion hit so probably awoke near each other and while not know for each other familiar from the get go. India and UK share a great scene together in the first Spider-Verse thus they found each other sooner possibly due to that link. All of them are connect by the web and everybody will find each other again but it seems some have a closer spiritual/magical link to others that pushes them in who they all find who first. Thus that bond/web is partially controlling there choices and probably is the reason for them being less affect by Doom. The web is probably damaged by the incursions and Doom but not destroyed and some seem more in tune to the web that affect the spider senses and memory.

Most like they will first find each other. Piece there memories back into place (and the web). Then stop Osborn and then Doom.

The next issue seems like Osborn will have a discussion with Spider-Gwen and a battle will begin between them as she escapes or tries to escape with the one she found. It seems like Osborn is fascinated by Gwen as he didn't go directly into capturing her when he saw her the first time.

Plus they place she goes to think things and for her solitude during the events is her father's and her grave. That is morbid and sad and I like the tender loving touch she place on her father's grave in that image.

Between the art that I seriously cannot stand and Spider-Gwen taking up way too much page time that could have been used for the interesting part of the cast, this is probably the only issue of this mini I'll be reading. I don't care enough about the cast to endure what I'd have to to continue...

I agree that there wasn't a lot shown of the coming conflict, but I think there was enough. Osborn is obviously in charge and he knows that these spiders are around. The big mystery of where Peter is in this domain is interesting to me. Probably, the most appealing thing for me, besides the roster of heroes, is that they know they are displaced and that something is fishy here. I haven't seen anyone else in Battleworld think this, besides the Cabal, who know they are somewhere new. It's a pretty exciting premise for me.