Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Its Cass Cain

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Its Cass Cain
    Trained by some of the same people who trained Bruce? I could see that. A Cain/Ducard connection.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kurtzberg View Post
    I imagine that the "Year of Blood" will be explained in the first story arc, these sneak peeks are designed as teasers. Gleason has said that he plans on exploring Damian's stories that relate life before Batman and that the series will have little to do with Gotham City or that cast of characters. This is Damian out on his own exploring what being the both a son of Batman and a son of an Al Ghul means, and how it defines who he is going forward. So if I had to venture a guess, then it probably is League of Assassin/Talia related as the phrase has never popped up before.
    You know, I was wondering if we'd see Colin in this, this being a book about Damian. Judging from the above though, I suppose not, huh? That's too bad. As relatively little shown as it was, I always liked their friendship.

Colin was pretty much a Paul Dini-only character, wasn't he? Well, he was in Li'l Gotham as well.

Its Cass Cain
    Cass Cain speculation. Take a drink.

Not happy this went to 3.99, not sure about Gleason writing it, and it just felt kind of dumb to me.

I get that Damian is a pain in the ass, but the one in this story was completely unlikable. Maybe he's not as good a character without Bruce to reign him in?

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    You know, I was wondering if we'd see Colin in this, this being a book about Damian. Judging from the above though, I suppose not, huh? That's too bad. As relatively little shown as it was, I always liked their friendship.
    I'm okay with Damian as a solo ride away from any familiar characters or settings for the first story arc and possibly more. I like his character, even though I've always found the idea of Robin problematic, but I'd like to see how he carries a story without Batman, Grayson or anyone else driving the action or taking the spotlight. I'm intrigued enough with this new series, I want to see if he could actually hold a solo title on his own without having to parachute in guest stars to draw readers.

Quote Originally Posted by joybeans View Post
    You are just determined to give yourself ulcers and cirrhosis, . And no, this isn't going to stop, either.

wow. Visually stunning, and Pat totally gets Damian's voice.

Quote Originally Posted by joybeans View Post
    And she ties into Forever Evil somehow

And she ties into Forever Evil somehow
    She's Superwoman's baby.

It is a great sneak peek but I have a problem with art. Two words: red noses; hideously drawn noses. This sneak peek is full of them, hopefully the June issue is not full of them.
    red noses.jpg

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

It's cold out. Your nose gets red when it's cold out.
    "The more 'realistic' superheroes become the less believable they are." - David Mazzucchelli

Astonishing Member

It's a really interesting choice to give Damian, basically, a super-pet to play off of in Goliath. I'm sure there is some correlate in Manga, as I've heard a lot of people make that connection, but I'm not familiar enough with that area of comics to draw it myself.

But Damian as a solo character is undoubtedly problematic, precisely because he is - superficially - sort of unlikeable. Getting better all the time, of course, but for anyone who didn't grow up around the wealthy - especially old wealth - I think his attitude is pretty off putting. So to balance that out you put him against someone bright, charismatic, working class, and profoundly likeable (perhaps the most likeable person in the DCU). Some of the failure, for me, of the B & R run to gain my interest was down to the relative consistency of personality types. Dark, brooding Batman...with dark, brooding (mildly sociopathic, Tomasi seemed to be implying) Damian.

I'd hoped that the next time Damian was in an ongoing concern they'd give him someone like Grayson - or Grayson himself - as a partner, but they've gone in a direction that (potentially) works just as well. They've given him a super-likeable, sweet and innocent pet. They're basically bringing Titus in and making him more durable. It's also a great inversion of Damian - who looks sweet and harmless on the outside but is, in fact, very deadly and dangerous.

I'm into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxpower00044 View Post
    It's cold out. Your nose gets red when it's cold out.
    Is it because of cold? It seemed to me it was a drawing technique to highlight noses. As you can see in some characters of Gravity Falls for example.