Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default PREVIEW: DC Sneak Peek: Martian Manhunter

J'onn J'onzz investigates the disappearance of a lunar mission and uncovers the beginnings of a planet-wide invasion of Earth by his fellow Martians, whom he previously thought all dead.
    Read this ALL-NEW FREE 8-page preview to MARTIAN MANHUNTER #1!

Full preview here.

This looks interesting and enjoying the White Martians coming back. Hope it explores a bit of Martian method like how Ostrander did during his run.
    Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    Darkseid doesn't invade with a fleet of ships. Darkseid chills on your couch, embarrasses and humiliates you, and won't leave. And he drinks everything in your fridge.

Sure would be nice to see these preview pages without SOMEONE'S website constantly running ad videos & killing the page.

Looks good. Probably pick it up.

Ever since Young Justice's portrayal of Mars as a still-living world, I've been thinking that it would be nice if the New 52 were to follow suit. Hopefully, that's where this story is going: revealing to the Martian Manhunter that his homeworld hasn't been depopulated after all, and shifting his status from “sole survivor” to either “ambassador” or “expatriot”, depending on whether he ends up on good terms with his people.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Why not call Superman? Motorcycles don't work well in space.

I like Williams and barrows' pages look great

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    Ever since Young Justice's portrayal of Mars as a still-living world, I've been thinking that it would be nice if the New 52 were to follow suit. Hopefully, that's where this story is going: revealing to the Martian Manhunter that his homeworld hasn't been depopulated after all, and shifting his status from “sole survivor” to either “ambassador” or “expatriot”, depending on whether he ends up on good terms with his people.
    It was a cool idea from Young Justice and definitely something different. Depends though as hasn't J'onn indicated that the Martians died? Kinda did that story that showed them all dying unless that gets retconned or something which is possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    Darkseid doesn't invade with a fleet of ships. Darkseid chills on your couch, embarrasses and humiliates you, and won't leave. And he drinks everything in your fridge.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    J'onn J'onzz investigates the disappearance of a lunar mission and uncovers the beginnings of a planet-wide invasion of Earth by his fellow Martians, whom he previously thought all dead.
    A “planet-wide invasion” implies more than just one or two; and “his fellow Martians” isn't a term I'd expect to see applied to White Martians: while it's technically accurate, J'onn doesn't exactly feel fellowship where the Whites are concerned. So I'm hoping that this turns out to be a “retcon reveal”, where J'onn finds out that the extinction of his race that he thought he witnessed was somehow faked, or at least not nearly as complete as he thought it was.

Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by DC Sneak Peek: Martian Manhunter
    J'onn J'onzz always said he was the last of his kind. He lied. When Mars launches a full-scale invasion of Earth, the Manhunter will have to decide where his loyalties lie.
    Again, note “full-scale” and “Mars” (as opposed to “the White Martians”). And “He lied”, not “He was wrong” — the implication being that he has known that the Martians are still alive for a while, but has been pretending otherwise.
    Last edited by Dataweaver; 05-20-2015 at 05:57 PM.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

BANNED

Why does every writer have to compare jonn with superman?

MM is a badass,aand I can't wait to get this btw

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by stephens2177 View Post
    Why does every writer have to compare jonn with superman?

MM is a badass,aand I can't wait to get this btw
    Oh they're totally comparable. They have a lot in common. And they look great when they stand next to each other. I'm totally in the camp that believes they compare well, and that it doesn't make either of them (cough, J'onn) redundant.

I've liked the minimal work done in the DCU that leaves J'onn fairly well mysterious. He's getting more attention now, and his ability to go anywhere, change people's minds, move in and out of different books and stories has been duly noted. Even with the exposure of having been in StormWatch, having a fallout (was it staged? were their memories altered?) with the JL, his JLA reasoning, his JLU adventure, or his manhunt for Superboy most recently, his own actual motives have seemed pretty mysterious. And I'm not sure how much information we even actually gleaned from Kindt's JLA backups about him.

I do know that I'm all for a "Living Mars". Not a "there's a full surface society on Mars" Mars, mind you. But historically in the DCU I always liked that expeditions there were discovering you know, alien walkers like in the Justice League Animated, or Metalek Xenoformers, or Necrophage Martian Insecto-Steeds and Erdel Gate Melmoth-led artifact heists. I think Mars should have loads of hidden ruins, reliquaries and artifacts, and secret subterranean biodomes where White Martians or Bad Green Martians or whatever else have been holed up for 1000 years.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

What's the status quo for J'onn now? I picked up the first arc of Stormwatch and that's about it.

Too angsty and boring for me. And no Oreos.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BCya View Post
    Too angsty and boring for me. And no Chocos.
    Sshhh! The copyright vultures are always listening!

I like the feel of this, comes off like a space horror/mystery book.

Quote Originally Posted by BCya View Post
    Too angsty and boring for me. And no Oreos.
    They'll probably cover the oreos part in the full series.