Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default X-23 Appreciation Post: My skin has turned to porcelain, to ivory, to steel

Hi.

This is the thread dedicated to our favorite member of the wolvie family.

Created from a damaged genetic sample, X-23 was created to be the perfect killing machine. After breaking out from her creators, her then dying mother gave her the name Laura Kinney.

Now associated with the X-Men, Laura seeks to leave the assassin behind and become her own person.

Also, because of today's issue of All New X-Men, I demand fanart of Laura holding an oversized teddy bear

pagina oso.jpg
    “I am vulnerable. Starved for kindness, and when I receive it, I lose my mind.”
    — Marjorie Liu, Tiger Eye

“When you need to stop an asteroid, you get Superman. When you need to solve a mystery, you call Batman. But when you need to end a war, you get Wonder Woman.”
    — Gail Simone

MY CHANNEL: https://www.youtube.com/user/Cheshire1501

BANNED

Dangit! RIGHT as I posted my own thread. I even double-checked the boards SEVERAL TIMES before hitting "Post" to make sure no one else got me while I was typing!

Too bad she's written so badly in that page. It would have been more appropriate if she just went, "RAAAAWR!" or otherwise just growled at the bear.

I know right? it was a the same hour

“When you need to stop an asteroid, you get Superman. When you need to solve a mystery, you call Batman. But when you need to end a war, you get Wonder Woman.”
    — Gail Simone

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by javi150190 View Post
    I know right? it was a the same hour
    Both show 8:27PM for post time on my end.

BANNED

Anyway, the pics I'd used on my thread:

(Right before Liu screwed the moment up)

Gotta be one of my favorite pieces of fan art. Dannith absolutely NAILS her.

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

Lack of capitalization in the title has unnerved me.

I'll be back later though as I love me some X-23 and I feel bad for her that Tyke left the team and she feels like he had abandoned her because she loves him.
    Last edited by Sardorim; 04-30-2014 at 07:03 PM.

BANNED

(Right before Liu screwed the moment up)
    Okay:

I have a few things to say about that

Let's face it, comics are weird. It's one of the many reasons why we love them, and as I read further into them I have come to identify severa cathegories of "weird"

Scary weird: Scott Snyder
    Alienating Weird: Scott LOBDDDDDDDDDEEEEEEEEE-Sorry (Deep breath) Lobdell
    Head Scratching Weird: Dan Slott, Marjorie Liu and Brian Wood
    Fun Weird: Kieron Gillen, Gail Simone and the Kyost duo
    Gimicky weird: Brian Michael Bendis and the entire editorial of DC comics

The situation with Laura and Julian is one of the reasons why I consider Liu in the head scratching cathegory. In that type of weird the author does things that makes you wonder what they were intending to do and what was their state of mind.

If you take Liu's word o why she did what she did I can totally get behind it, but then you get to the actual writting.

If Laura had said to Juilan the exact thing she later says to Gambit in the same issue ("He meant something to me before") I would have less of an issue, and then there's the fact that Liu admits that the whole scene was from Laura's prespective, making it look less like a break up between the two, and more like a handwave on Laura's part.

That being said, someone has to fix the writting mess that Hellion has become. Laura literally outgrew him. To quote ASOIAF "Kill the boy and let the man be born"

— Gail Simone

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SoeSacheee View Post
    She's hot.. So.. she is like little sister of wolverine, right?
    She's his sort of clone (they only had damaged DNA so had to patch in a different person's to grow her, hence her being female), but also his adopted daughter. She is very hot and very damaged as she's had about as bad a life as one could imagine.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SoeSacheee View Post
    She's hot.. So.. she is like little sister of wolverine, right?
    his daughter

Love X-23. But they need to retcon that terrible prostituting origin.

She proved enough, do more ~ she has shaping herself already and your break will come ....

On a semi unrelated note as a Gambit fan is it worth reading Mlui's x23 run where he is tagging along? I thought it may be worth asking in this forum rather than Gambits as this thread would probably be more familiar with that run.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jiraiya View Post
    On a semi unrelated note as a Gambit fan is it worth reading Mlui's x23 run where he is tagging along? I thought it may be worth asking in this forum rather than Gambits as this thread would probably be more familiar with that run.
    It's a good run, since it is an X-23 book, you are probably not in for the best Gambit experience. If I remember correctly his primary role is very mentor/parent-like.

BANNED

Just found out that the quote the OP used to start this thread is attributed to Sansa Stark from Storm of Swords.

MY SKIN HAS TURNED TO PORCELAIN, TO IVORY, TO STEEL
    It's in reference to the character having started out naive and idealistic and after having endured a lot at her has developed a thicker skin. Or more aptly a skin that is strong as steel. I read the ASOIAF books long before I discovered X-23. And I find that the closest character she resembles is Dany.

Dany, Rey (Star Wars), pre- Nu52 Kara (Supergirl) Laura all fall into the template of the abandoned young girl/young woman who has to learn to fend for, or mother herself and therefore becomes her own person.