Page 620 of 808 FirstFirst ... 120520570610616617618619620621622623624630670720 ... LastLast
Results 9,286 to 9,300 of 12112

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpyshark View Post
    Roderick Campbell mentions a defunct facility in Canada that had the Adamantium required for their mutant testing chamber. https://www.cbr.com/gifted-tv-x-men-wolverine-weapon-x/
    Oh yeah, duh lol. I completely forgot about that.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

The Disney/Fox deal went through

Looks like the X-23 movie is probably be DOA, given that the announcement is promising that Disney "has the opportunity to reunite the X-Men, Fantastic Four and Deadpool with the Marvel family under one roof." Can't say that I think it's worth it on any level.

x_grave.jpg
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

I've made my peace with that. To play devil's advocate though. Disney doesn't gain control of anything Fox owns until 2019. Meaning that they can't stop what's in production from happening until then. If Mangold gives the script to someone else and has them direct it while he fulfills his other contracts, then it can still happen. Although it's a long shot.

However Deadpool presents a problem that is going to have to be acknowledged at some point. It is tied to an X-men universe where the X-men and Mutants are active and exist as shown by Colossus and Negasonic. I don't see how you retcon that into the MCU. Not to mention the fact that we don't know if DP2 ties closer into the X-verse that Fox has set up or not. Weird time to be in lol.

I've heard people say that Deadpool exists above continuity and can easily slip in to the MCU no questions asked, but that's not true when you're trying to build up to a film franchise like X-Force.
    Last edited by SomeCBFanboy; 12-14-2017 at 10:42 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    The Disney/Fox deal went through

Looks like the X-23 movie is probably be DOA, given that the announcement is promising that Disney "has the opportunity to reunite the X-Men, Fantastic Four and Deadpool with the Marvel family under one roof." Can't say that I think it's worth it on any level.

x_grave.jpg
    The caveats I'm going to throw out there:

Kyle and Mangold, who are writing the script, both already have working relationships with Disney. Kyle worked on all three Thor films as well as writing for Marvel itself, and Mangold mentioned he has a couple projects in development for them. So at the very least any pitch wouldn't be coming in from a vacuum.

While I very much have a "Believe it When I See It" attitude, Iger's comments hint that they may leave Deadpool as is and introduce a wider range of R-rated fare in response to its success. Given that Logan was also a tremendous financial and critical success, and that Laura in particular was well-received and Keen's performance was lauded, there's at least a possibility Marvel may give her a second look.

And while some people dispute the relevance of this, there's also the fact that an X-23 film starring Keen would be a major superhero film starring a female lead of Hispanic ancestry. With even the MCU facing criticism overs its predominantly white male lead cast, in the current environment Disney may not like the bad press that could come from red lighting Mangold and Kyle's script out of hand.

I'm deliberately not going to be naively optimistic about her prospects, but at the very least I'll play Devil's Advocate until we know how the sale will be affecting the XCU going forward, and we're likely not going to learn anything until 2019 at the earliest.

Extraordinary Member

I think Disney is going to allow for the R-rated movies. They have proven that there's a large enough of an audience for them. Plus, they tend to be less expensive than the PG-13 ones and they make their money back easily. So long as they keep with that formula, they will be fine. It's when they try and do a big budget R-rated movie that there are problems.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post

Kyle and Mangold, who are writing the script, both already have working relationships with Disney. Kyle worked on all three Thor films as well as writing for Marvel itself, and Mangold mentioned he has a couple projects in development for them. So at the very least any pitch wouldn't be coming in from a vacuum.

While I very much have a "Believe it When I See It" attitude, Iger's comments hint that they may leave Deadpool as is and introduce a wider range of R-rated fare in response to its success. Given that Logan was also a tremendous financial and critical success, and that Laura in particular was well-received and Keen's performance was lauded, there's at least a possibility Marvel may give her a second look.

And while some people dispute the relevance of this, there's also the fact that an X-23 film starring Keen would be a major superhero film starring a female lead of Hispanic ancestry. With even the MCU facing criticism overs its predominantly white male lead cast, in the current environment Disney may not like the bad press that could come from red lighting Mangold and Kyle's script out of hand.

I'm deliberately not going to be naively optimistic about her prospects, but at the very least I'll play Devil's Advocate until we know how the sale will be affecting the XCU going forward, and we're likely not going to learn anything until 2019 at the earliest.
    ok i didn't know that Kyle was already helping Disney. still Disney isn't stupid, like when they acquired star wars they tried to make sure they didn't lose its fan base and allowed some outside ideas in like Rogue One and the staff in charge of animated star wars where reduced in employees but they didn't replace anyone and Dave Faloni is essentially George Lucas's protege and is involved with pretty much everything star wars. Disney knows Dead-pool and Logan are successful they are going to want to keep those fans and a potential Laura film while maybe far in the distant future it may not be dead. plus think of all the possibilities Disney can use the x-men in. they can make a high school show that's a teen drama or a kids show and have Laura introduced there.

Yost has been doing a lot of writing for Lucasfilm...so he can help too

and who knows...maybe a NXM cartoon !
    Captain, in Order to build a better world, sometimes means tearing the old one down... And that makes enemies.

Could be. Personally, I do think that X-23 will on the big screen again period somewhere down the line. While not an A-lister yet, she has been fairly successful (she's on the short list of "new" franchise characters with any staying power) and the Logan movie did put her more in the public eye (film's breakout character and whatnot).

What I think is less likely is that the original idea to make an X-23-centric Logan sequel will happen. While I do like the character overall that I would be happy for a reboot X-23 movie if that is what we get, a huge factor in me being excited about the announcement was that it was going to be a Logan sequel and would be about that movie's iteration of Laura Kinney.

To be totally fair, I think that having Dafne Keen play the character is probably higher on my list of preferences than it being a sequel. So, I'd rather see her reprise the role in a reboot over a recast for a sequel.

Fair enough that we have no clue yet exactly what Disney's specific plans are, much less if they have a single model for every property they've reacquired.

What's that about 2019, though? Thought the sale took effect beginning of next year?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Spectacular Member

Default Muramasa shield

So what do you all think that Muramasa hoing to do with the shield and sacrifices in issue 29?

I think that he's going to make a suit of samurai armour, Laura is probably going to wear it. Maybe Gabby for a good joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Darzefader View Post
    So what do you all think that Muramasa hoing to do with the shield and sacrifices in issue 29?

I think that he's going to make a suit of samurai armour, Laura is probably going to wear it. Maybe Gabby for a good joke.
    I was thinking armor. Laura will wear it.

And man I want Daken to stay on the book permanently.

I guess to go along with this, Star Wars: The Last Jedi has been getting praise for having a diverse cast and giving big roles to non whites. So maybe Disney will be looking to continue this and maybe keeping people like Dafne around will suit them. We'll have to see what happens in all this but I don't think Disney are stupid and they won't alienate an entire audience to make all the X Men movies like the Avengers. There will probably be new movies, crossovers and all that which have a similar tone, but I think there is room for the harder stuff which attracts a different audience.

The main thing that could change this is if they just decide to reboot the franchise, FOX was kind of in the process of doing this anyway in a transitional phase but there might be a desire for a full on MCU reboot. I wouldn't mind a reboot but when it comes to some of the newer characters introduced and those coming next year I hope they keep them. There is a chance to change the same old stories though and bring in fresh creative. Seen enough FOX movies about Mystique and Prof X.
    In protest against Marvel's constant ignoring of Surge.

I dunno how much it matters to them. Thus far the MCU has been very ...not diverse and has been primarily dominated by white male characters.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Beaubier View Post
    I dunno how much it matters to them. Thus far the MCU has been very ...not diverse and has been primarily dominated by white male characters.
    And I think that's something that won't last. That's been one of the universal criticisms, and something that's going to start changing with Black Panther and Captain Marvel. I'd look to see the demographics of the MCU to begin changing going forward.

BANNED

Another thing to consider that the New Mutants thread made me think about is Laura has some relevance for the #MeToo movement. She's a female character whose history has been one of quite horrific physical and emotional abuse, (and if you want to include NYX, that does extend to sexual, as well, connecting it even better) and whose primary arc involved recovering and moving on from the trauma (there's been a couple of great articles posted in this thread on the subject). A film that explores this could make her an empowering character for women and girls to connect with, particularly those who've suffered from some form of abuse.

BANNED

So yeah, don't know if it will mean much, but I Tweeted Feige about the X-23 movie. At least it doesn't hurt to let him know that people ARE very much interested in seeing it happen.