Page 2 of 808 FirstFirst 1234561252102502 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 12112
  1. #16
    Junior Member javi150190's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Buin. Santiago de Chile
    Posts
    139

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post


    The problem is, we don't even really SEE where and how Laura outgrew him. It all came across as arbitrary and forced (which is why I tend to think it was an editorial mandate as part of severing her relationships with the X-Men prior to shipping her off to Avengers Academy).

    It was all based on Liu's expeirneces with her own crushes as a teenager, and she writes X as a young woman, opposed to Julian, who is often depicted as a teenager who seems unable, or nor interested, to let go.
    “I am vulnerable. Starved for kindness, and when I receive it, I lose my mind.”
    — Marjorie Liu, Tiger Eye

    “When you need to stop an asteroid, you get Superman. When you need to solve a mystery, you call Batman. But when you need to end a war, you get Wonder Woman.”
    — Gail Simone

    MY CHANNEL: https://www.youtube.com/user/Cheshire1501

  2. #17
    Master Assassin Avenger88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    House of Ghu'ul
    Posts
    510

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by javi150190 View Post
    It was all based on Liu's expeirneces with her own crushes as a teenager, and she writes X as a young woman, opposed to Julian, who is often depicted as a teenager who seems unable, or nor interested, to let go.
    Laura's true love and future soulmate is in space with his dad right now. She will forget about Hellion altogether once he gets back.

  3. #18
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    751

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Avenger88 View Post
    Laura's true love and future soulmate is in space with his dad right now. She will forget about Hellion altogether once he gets back.
    I'm all for that, obviously (icon), but don't forget she should be getting a chance to explore her new friendship with Teen Warren first:


  4. #19
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by javi150190 View Post
    It was all based on Liu's expeirneces with her own crushes as a teenager, and she writes X as a young woman, opposed to Julian, who is often depicted as a teenager who seems unable, or nor interested, to let go.
    You know, I kind of get it. The whole theme of X-23's solo was about her growth as a person. When she saw Julian again, she saw how angry and damaged he'd become since she left. Where she wanted to go probably wasn't where Julian was headed and even then she probably wasn't able to comfort him as she was then. I can see how between both of them as they were at that point Laura would be logical enough to understand they'd be bad for each other even if Julian was still trying to keep an attachment. It looks like he's recovered since but I doubt it matters anymore.

  5. #20
    Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    2,379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by javi150190 View Post
    I loved that she punked a Kodiak bear (Or is that a Grizzly?).
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

  6. #21
    Astonishing Member DurararaFTW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,148

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by javi150190 View Post
    It was all based on Liu's expeirneces with her own crushes as a teenager, and she writes X as a young woman, opposed to Julian, who is often depicted as a teenager who seems unable, or nor interested, to let go.
    Quote Originally Posted by idiyona View Post
    You know, I kind of get it. The whole theme of X-23's solo was about her growth as a person. When she saw Julian again, she saw how angry and damaged he'd become since she left. Where she wanted to go probably wasn't where Julian was headed and even then she probably wasn't able to comfort him as she was then. I can see how between both of them as they were at that point Laura would be logical enough to understand they'd be bad for each other even if Julian was still trying to keep an attachment. It looks like he's recovered since but I doubt it matters anymore.
    I feel this is rather downplaying how horrible Lui treated the character of Hellion. In X-23 20, he's just standing in bushes staring at Laura in broad daylight, aware that she and everyone else can see him. And if that wasn't enough she then had several teachers be like "let's all just ignore him completely, not worth helping."

  7. #22
    TEST YOUR MIGHT! The Big G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,663

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by javi150190 View Post
    That being said, someone has to fix the writing mess that Hellion has become. Laura literally outgrew him. To quote ASOIAF "Kill the boy and let the man be born"
    First we have to find a writer willing to do this first

    but that's a topic for the Hellion thread....

    ANYWHO I for one am excited to see KYOST writing Laura again, even if its for one arc, in Amazing.
    Captain, in Order to build a better world, sometimes means tearing the old one down... And that makes enemies.

  8. #23
    Ultimate Member Ambaryerno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    11,130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by idiyona View Post
    You know, I kind of get it. The whole theme of X-23's solo was about her growth as a person. When she saw Julian again, she saw how angry and damaged he'd become since she left. Where she wanted to go probably wasn't where Julian was headed and even then she probably wasn't able to comfort him as she was then. I can see how between both of them as they were at that point Laura would be logical enough to understand they'd be bad for each other even if Julian was still trying to keep an attachment. It looks like he's recovered since but I doubt it matters anymore.
    That's part of the problem exactly: Laura didn't even make an EFFORT to help him in her solo. There's a definite sense that Hellion is trying to reach out to her for SOMEONE to at least try and understand what he did, and help him cope with it (everyone to that point has been treating him like a criminal for his actions. Most ridiculously so Wolverine and Gambit who have done FAR worse). Laura basically just turns around and walks out the door on him. Everyone -- Laura, Wolverine, Gambit, etc. -- were being tremendously hypocritical, and rather than trying to HELP Julian were making him a pariah.

  9. #24
    Where is my Surge?! Moondoggie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,047

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    That's part of the problem exactly: Laura didn't even make an EFFORT to help him in her solo. There's a definite sense that Hellion is trying to reach out to her for SOMEONE to at least try and understand what he did, and help him cope with it (everyone to that point has been treating him like a criminal for his actions. Most ridiculously so Wolverine and Gambit who have done FAR worse). Laura basically just turns around and walks out the door on him. Everyone -- Laura, Wolverine, Gambit, etc. -- were being tremendously hypocritical, and rather than trying to HELP Julian were making him a pariah.
    That's perhaps the most sad thing about the situation it would have been nice if Liu found some middle ground where it wasn't about pushing Laura's famous reset button on everything she has done up to a certain point. Liu has this whole girl power thing that leaks into her writing and it can be at times very frustrating even though it can be great (Laura's friendship with Jubilee that also suffered the reset button from all the progress they made) it was just written in a way that makes Julian look like a crazed stalker and the bad guy so Laura can seem like the good guy even though she dumped him without every talking it over with him and trying to be friends.

    Perhaps in future somebody can write a reunion between them that comes off better and they can at least agree to be friends. I'd like them to go back to Laura/Jubilee too they just work really well in a way that didn't work with Finesse in Avengers Academy when they tried to push that friendship. Laura due to her character lacking understanding for social cues and having a very to the point kind of personality needs a character with a ton of personality and energy to bounce off. It makes her funnier and gives her the ability to grow as a character.

  10. #25
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    That's part of the problem exactly: Laura didn't even make an EFFORT to help him in her solo. There's a definite sense that Hellion is trying to reach out to her for SOMEONE to at least try and understand what he did, and help him cope with it (everyone to that point has been treating him like a criminal for his actions. Most ridiculously so Wolverine and Gambit who have done FAR worse). Laura basically just turns around and walks out the door on him. Everyone -- Laura, Wolverine, Gambit, etc. -- were being tremendously hypocritical, and rather than trying to HELP Julian were making him a pariah.
    Oh yeah, after the whole thing all of the X-men pretty much made him a pariah for making a hard choice most of them would have made since he wasn't one of them (the senior members) and wasn't trusted. I just don't think Laura walked out on him like the others as much as it was her not knowing how to comfort someone in Hellion's position. She had grown but probably not enough to know what to do. I will admit though the ignoring him when he wanted to talk when they were stuck up in the ship was rather badly handled.

    Quote Originally Posted by DurararaFTW View Post
    I feel this is rather downplaying how horrible Lui treated the character of Hellion. In X-23 20, he's just standing in bushes staring at Laura in broad daylight, aware that she and everyone else can see him. And if that wasn't enough she then had several teachers be like "let's all just ignore him completely, not worth helping."
    Yeah I get it, after the breakup it was pretty bad making him out to be just angrily staring her down though I guess Liu is relating him to someone she knew and didn't particularly like.

  11. #26
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    The Country of Poets and Thinkers
    Posts
    323

    Default

    While I still think that Laura is better off without Julian, I will now admit that she could have ended the relationship with more care, but then again, she is still very inexperienced when it comes to romantic relationships

  12. #27
    Junior Member javi150190's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Buin. Santiago de Chile
    Posts
    139

    Default

    Spoiler?

    20839958_m.jpg
    “I am vulnerable. Starved for kindness, and when I receive it, I lose my mind.”
    — Marjorie Liu, Tiger Eye

    “When you need to stop an asteroid, you get Superman. When you need to solve a mystery, you call Batman. But when you need to end a war, you get Wonder Woman.”
    — Gail Simone

    MY CHANNEL: https://www.youtube.com/user/Cheshire1501

  13. #28
    Ultimate Member Ambaryerno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    11,130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by javi150190 View Post
    Oh shit, that's an angle for Wolverine's death I never thought of: Someone using the Trigger Scent to make Laura kill Logan. She wouldn't be able to stop it, and I don't think Logan could bring himself to kill her first.

  14. #29
    Where is my Surge?! Moondoggie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,047

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Oh shit, that's an angle for Wolverine's death I never thought of: Someone using the Trigger Scent to make Laura kill Logan. She wouldn't be able to stop it, and I don't think Logan could bring himself to kill her first.
    It's already happened before in one of my favorite Wolverine and X-23 scenes and she was able to fight the trigger scent and stop herself attacking Wolverine but then everyone seemed to forget about that since in Avengers Arena she was a slave to the trigger scent again so who knows it could be used to finish Wolverine off. That would be pretty messed up maybe everyone will just blame Laura for it and hate her like they blame Cyclops for killing Xavier while being under influences he can't control.



    On the Wolverine adopting her as his Daughter was that ever an official thing the only scene i recall that says anything about it was one of Laura's weird Hellverine dreams where she was tricked. A lot of people seem to say she is his Daughter i just dunno if it's based on her DNA or something that happened which i missed XD.

  15. #30
    Ultimate Member Ambaryerno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    11,130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moondoggie View Post
    On the Wolverine adopting her as his Daughter was that ever an official thing the only scene i recall that says anything about it was one of Laura's weird Hellverine dreams where she was tricked. A lot of people seem to say she is his Daughter i just dunno if it's based on her DNA or something that happened which i missed XD.
    I thought the amusement park scene was a flashback.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •