Page 374 of 808 FirstFirst ... 274324364370371372373374375376377378384424474 ... LastLast
Results 5,596 to 5,610 of 12112
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Moondoggie View Post
    Suppose anything is possible in comics with weird science. The eldest seem the same age as Laura and the earliest Kimura could drop samples into their hands would probably have been when she first escaped from the facility which really doesn't leave them a lot of years to grow clones so they would have had to do something or they must have been doing this alongside the facilities own program for X-23 which really doesn't seem the case. Maybe the nanobot things can accelerate growth? Laura's age I guess is up for debate on it's own but she's probably between 18-20 since the last reference to her age I can find was from Pixie Strikes Back in the NXM era where she's 17 so she's probably older than that now I usually think of her as a year younger than Jubilee since comic ages tend to slide lol.
    Kimura didn't give the samples to Alchemax. She helped the Sisters escape and destroy Alchemax BECAUSE they got them (and she considers Laura her personal property).

Quote Originally Posted by Beaubier View Post
    I would think by now that Jubilee is in her early twenties. Maybe 22 or 23. And Laura I agree is no older than 20 at the oldest, but is probably 18 or 19.
    We know she's not 21 yet from Civil War II (Logan asks if she's got something stronger than fruit juice and Laura asks Logan if he knows how old she is, so she's clearly not able to legally purchase alcohol). Keep in mind we do have a 16 month time skip in play here, too, (8 months between the end of ANXM vol.1 and Secret Wars, and another 8 months after that) so I'd be leaning towards the older end, at 19-20. Taylor was asked about it in one of his X-Pos but he didn't seem inclined to nail it down (and instead pointed to the upcoming CWII issue). Regardless, she's old enough to be keeping an apartment of her own and not have Social Services knocking down her door.

Unfortunately, that causes problems for her peers with the NXM, who are editorially mandated to remain students. If Laura is 18-20, most of them should be, too (even allowing for some age variance). So unless the school includes college-level courses they're not only being held back academically, but BIOLOGICALLY, as well.

SNIK-ITY SNIKT! Pandarifically Delusional's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    I'll direct you to XCE's Tumblr so you may judge for yourself. He's already got a few choice screens so I don't have to dig them up myself.
    Yeah, gonna have to agree w/you, Ambaryerno! I saw the pages referenced on XCE's Tumblr page, and I saved myself $4.00! Marvel is really churning out some stinkers lately! Thank God for writers like Ryan North ('Unbeatable Squirrel Girl') and ANW's Tom Taylor! They're writing has been consistent, not deviating from the character's persona! I sincerely hope Marvel doesn't cancel either book in the new year! #teamjonathan #teamgabby!
    (⊙ω⊙) My Spirit Animal is a Sloth. | PULLS: X-Men, Marauders, Beasts Of Burden, Saga | My Pinterest Tribute Page To Lily [2004-2018]: Link

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Spacedog2k5 View Post
    Yeah, gonna have to agree w/you, Ambaryerno! I saw the pages referenced on XCE's Tumblr page, and I saved myself $4.00! Marvel is really churning out some stinkers lately! Thank God for writers like Ryan North ('Unbeatable Squirrel Girl') and ANW's Tom Taylor! They're writing has been consistent, not deviating from the character's persona! I sincerely hope Marvel doesn't cancel either book in the new year! #teamjonathan #teamgabby!
    I got a bad feeling earlier that this writer may try to push Choverine as an actual thing.

Granted, I'd expect Laura ought to be getting hit on by other teen heroes far more than she does, but this is just...yuck.

Just say NO to sub par awful pairings for Laura

I got a bad feeling earlier that this writer may try to push Choverine as an actual thing.

Granted, I'd expect Laura ought to be getting hit on by other teen heroes far more than she does, but this is just...yuck.
    I don't think it's bad that Cho seemed interested lol. It's not like it's going to happen and Laura immediately shot him down anyway. Which was pretty funny in and of itself.

I'll direct you to XCE's Tumblr so you may judge for yourself. He's already got a few choice screens so I don't have to dig them up myself.
    Cho is corny. That's some cringe writing with all these stupid quips every 5 seconds.

You can thank those Marvel movies for all these quips. It used to be common yeah, but man it's gotten ridiculously gratuitous after Marvel's Hollywood rise.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeCBFanboy View Post
    I don't think it's bad that Cho seemed interested lol. It's not like it's going to happen and Laura immediately shot him down anyway. Which was pretty funny in and of itself.
    Cho chatting her up wasn't out of character. Neither was Laura's reaction!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Cho chatting her up wasn't out of character. Neither was Laura's reaction!
    Her dialogue was godawful, though.

Her dialogue was godawful, though.
    Yes it was pretty bad. Thinking long term about the character and what will need to be done to grow her visibility/popularity though. I'm going to have to reconcile the fact that there will be writers who will end up writing her, but miss the mark like Bendis & Hopeless. It's the price of seeing her appear in other books outside the X-books, and in books where she is not the lead. It sucks, but it is what it is. One piece of hope though is that James Mangold really gives it his all in keeping her as authentic as possible in Logan. Laura still isn't well known to the GA like the other core X-men were before the movies, thanks to TAS. How ever she appears in that movie will become who she is to a vast majority of people despite what she may be in the current comics. Since Marvel seems to have a massive hard on for making everything like the movies. Maybe whoever writes her in a book outside of Taylor will draw from that instead of making shit up!
    Last edited by SomeCBFanboy; 12-29-2016 at 05:06 PM.

Unfortunately, that causes problems for her peers with the NXM, who are editorially mandated to remain students. If Laura is 18-20, most of them should be, too (even allowing for some age variance). So unless the school includes college-level courses they're not only being held back academically, but BIOLOGICALLY, as well.
    It's technically not a normal school so doesn't have to work with any sort of grade system I figure it works by ability though most of them seemed ready to move on to being X Men it just didn't happen because wallpaper syndrome. Some mutants probably couldn't survive outside the care of a school anyway but yeah it's kinda weird that Laura can go off and live on her own while others are still hanging around at school if Logan owned a bunch of real estate then surely the school can use that lol. There are some of them that will be the same age like Surge and Prodigy was 17 in NXM and if Laura is pushing 20 they likely would be too not sure what Hellion's age was but I imagine it being the same.

The writing for kids just has no logic anymore they aren't actually kids so put them on a damn team instead of using the same old faces since the 80's.

In other news I'm not touching that Cho and Laura mess ever it looks horrible. There seems to be more and more a lack of quality writing for marvel. Funny is fine when it's written well but cheese for the sake of cheese doesn't work these days. They can find people who pull it off so why do they keep churning out such crap?
    In protest against Marvel's constant ignoring of Surge.

Since Marvel seems to have a massive hard on for making everything like the movies. Maybe whoever writes her in a book outside of Taylor will draw from that instead of making shit up!
    Or maybe they could just develop some talent for writing characters that aren't their own. Even Bendis imo wasn't that bad it's just that he has to write every character under his style same as Whedon does. Some are better at covering it up than others because their writing has merit in other areas. Doing comedy is fine if they can write it well we have Silk,Spider-Gwen,Squirrel Girl,Deadpool etc all quirky and funny in their own ways but they are written by people who understand the character they are writing and they can adjust to the formula.

Maybe anybody who wants to do comedy with Laura should watch some episodes of Daria or Downtown lol.
    In protest against Marvel's constant ignoring of Surge.

Quote Originally Posted by Moondoggie View Post
    Or maybe they could just develop some talent for writing characters that aren't their own.
    But this would be the correct and most logical thing to do Moon.....Why would current Marvel do this?! lol spoilers:
    sarcasm
    end of spoilers

Art by yahu28

BANNED

I'm probably late to the show, but back in the fall I finally had the opportunity to take a look at Marjorie Liu's Image book 'Monstress', it was far from what I had thought that it would be. It was pretty deep and profound. I probably haven't been moved by a comic book since I initially read X-23: Target X. Issue #9 was especially profound and I get the sense that Liu really is playing with the relationship between Laura and her Sarah. I strongly recommend it to those of you who liked the old rendition of X-23.

Yes it was pretty bad. Thinking long term about the character and what will need to be done to grow her visibility/popularity though. I'm going to have to reconcile the fact that there will be writers who will end up writing her, but miss the mark like Bendis & Hopeless. It's the price of seeing her appear in other books outside the X-books, and in books where she is not the lead. It sucks, but it is what it is. One piece of hope though is that James Mangold really gives it his all in keeping her as authentic as possible in Logan. Laura still isn't well known to the GA like the other core X-men were before the movies, thanks to TAS. How ever she appears in that movie will become who she is to a vast majority of people despite what she may be in the current comics. Since Marvel seems to have a massive hard on for making everything like the movies. Maybe whoever writes her in a book outside of Taylor will draw from that instead of making shit up!
    One thing is though, the Laura Kinney/ X-23 who appeared in X-Men/ Evolution is miles apart from the character who became more refined to the character forged by Kyle and Yost. So who knows what will happen.

Unless the film proves otherwise, I am going to guess that the Laura in the Logan film will be just a scrappy and scruffy little girl who is good at fighting. Not the well disciplined and shrewd Emma Peel Jr./Ice Princess whom she was portrayed as for most of her run. The problem with characters like Laura is that they have a lot of nuance, for them to work well in the hands of a good writer. Which is one of the major reasons I can't stand what Taylor has turned her into generic teenage American teenage tom boy. I wouldn't mind X-23 becoming more popular and getting more exposure. But only if she was written as she was developed by Kyle and Yost in the comic books. Otherwise I am just not interested in seeing her as a female roughneck. She would probably be great as a guest character in one or many of the Netflix Marvel shows.