Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default Is Steve Rogers actually a captain?

Or was it just an honorary title? Isn't Captain relatively low in the army ?

Quote Originally Posted by Winghead View Post
    Or was it just an honorary title? Isn't Captain relatively low in the army ?
    Remember, "Steve Rogers" and "Captain America" were two separate identities back in WWII (at least for the comic book stories).

And, no, a captain isn't "relatively low". (A quick google search could have supplied that answer.)
    http://www.goarmy.com/about/ranks-and-insignia.html/

Fantastic Member

Captain is the third commissioned officer rank on a 1-10 scale. Commissioned officers are people who graduate from the Academy (West Point), ROTC programs at other universities, or the military's Officer Candidate School. They command units and are basically above any enlisted man (even if the enlisted man has been around longer and promoted up the enlisted ranks).

Captains might be in command of a company of soldiers, which is several platoons totaling a couple hundred troops. So captain isn't a "low" rank, but it's far from the highest ranks of the Army.

I don't know how the comics have handled the Captain America part, but Steve Rogers was a lowly (and seemingly bumbling) private in his public identity.

In the movie, he told Peggy he was a captain and could therefore give her orders. It was a joke, but one that may have been based on truth.
    Last edited by JimRaynor55; 05-21-2015 at 11:59 AM.

Circa 2002, it was offered by Christopher Priest that post-revival, Steve/Cap had the informal rank of a one-star/brigadier general.

Bluebird

I seem to remember that he got called "Captain" when running SHIELD, but that got interchanged with "Commander" with various appearances.

Also, MCU Cap probably got his as a honorary thing due to his USO mascot touring.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stars & Stripes View Post
    I seem to remember that he got called "Captain" when running SHIELD, but that got interchanged with "Commander" with various appearances.

Also, MCU Cap probably got his as a honorary thing due to his USO mascot touring.
    I think they called him "Captain" they same way they call him "Cap"

Spectacular Member

Captain is more of a title for Steve Rogers, rather than a rank in army.
    Kudos to Maureen O'Connell of Scholastic for getting us the Harry Potter series.

Carol Danvers has cracked her fair share of jokes about it - reminding Steve that as an USAF Colonel, she technically outranks him as an Army Captain.

Quote Originally Posted by lilyinblue View Post
    Carol Danvers has cracked her fair share of jokes about it - reminding Steve that as an USAF Colonel, she technically outranks him as an Army Captain.
    So why isn't she calling herself "Colonel Marvel"?

Captain is the sweet spot of officer ranks, higher enough you can do more than as a mere lieutenant, low enough not to get bogged down in too much of the paperwork crap.

MCU Cap is a commissioned captain. He was seen wearing his class A uniform in the Britain based scenes and had the bars.
    I surrender to the Contest

BANNED

Actually Steve is currently a commander. He was given the rank when he took over SHIELD, and from what I can tell he still has it.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Commander is not a US Army officer rank. So technically he is a Captain in the Army and a Commander in SHIELD?

I think Steve Rogers just took the title the same way he decided to call himself "America", because he thought it sounds cool.

Of course he could have been given all kind of honorary ranks since then.

I have never been entirely comfortable with the whole "Captain America" thing: A guy deciding that he is the living encarnation of his country AND of the values of Democracy, Liberty...etc., sounds overly entitled. And whenever his opinion differs with that of his government, the Senate, or the American people as a whole, he tries to force his will, thinking that he knows better; he did it when he rebelled during Civil War and when he got rid of the Cabal despite the government, the American people and the UN supporting them.

The only reason he doesn't look like an entitled, arrogant douche is because MU will never allow him to be wrong or to fail, and because all the other heroes are his fans and look up to him.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Habis View Post
    I think Steve Rogers just took the title the same way he decided to call himself "America", because he thought it sounds cool.

Of course he could have been given all kind of honorary ranks since then.

I have never been entirely comfortable with the whole "Captain America" thing: A guy deciding that he is the living encarnation of his country AND of the values of Democracy, Liberty...etc., sounds overly entitled. And whenever his opinion differs with that of his government, the Senate, or the American people as a whole, he tries to force his will, thinking that he knows better; he did it when he rebelled during Civil War and when he got rid of the Cabal despite the government, the American people and the UN supporting them.

The only reason he doesn't look like an entitled, arrogant douche is because MU will never allow him to be wrong or to fail, and because all the other heroes are his fans and look up to him.
    Governments and people do not always do what is right or just. Captain America serves as a living bastion of truth, justice and the American way in order to right our cultural boat and put us back on track.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    Governments and people do not always do what is right or just. Captain America serves as a living bastion of truth, justice and the American way in order to right our cultural boat and put us back on track.
    That's the point. Steve Rogers is convinced that he knows what is right best than anybody else, he considers himself unerring. He thinks that everybody should do as he says and think as he does, Democracy be damned.