Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Icefanatic View Post
    I never particularly cared for Mystique because she always found justification for her actions, no mater who they hurt or what the consequences were, which was especially hard to swallow when applied to Kurt and Rogue. Then I picked up her brief solo series, mostly for the art initially and became fascinated with the character when depicted as a three-dimensional person with some redeemable qualities. Unfortunately most of that went out the window when the series ended, except when written by Mike Carey or Majorie Liu.

Right now she's not even an interesting villain or even a relatable person, just a generic sociopath with an X-Men fixation. It's like she's being turned into the X-Men's "Joker", without any of the Batman villain's interesting qualities.
    I feel the same way although she's one of my favorite characters.

She just seems to be the "Insert Villain Here" for any writer to use and that's why she's become so inconsistent so many writers just use her as a villain without any actual thought as to why they want to use Mystique.

I never particularly cared for Mystique because she always found justification for her actions, no mater who they hurt or what the consequences were, which was especially hard to swallow when applied to Kurt and Rogue. Then I picked up her brief solo series, mostly for the art initially and became fascinated with the character when depicted as a three-dimensional person with some redeemable qualities. Unfortunately most of that went out the window when the series ended, except when written by Mike Carey or Majorie Liu.
    Same thing for me as well. Never cared about the character until reading her solo series. Then once it ended she joined the X-men which lead to Messiah Complex and after that story arc ended all her previous character development was tossed out the window. What's left is a Mary Sue psycho, sociopath with a anti-X-men obsession.

Right now she's not even an interesting villain or even a relatable person, just a generic sociopath with an X-Men fixation. It's like she's being turned into the X-Men's "Joker", without any of the Batman villain's interesting qualities.
    You left out psycho in your description. They turned the character into pretty much every other villain in the Marvel universe. I would not compare her to the Joker as he is even worse. Mystique has some motivatoins. None of which enhance or add to the her character development. Joker is just insane and has not if any in terms of motivations imo.

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyBlueElf View Post
    I feel the same way although she's one of my favorite characters.

She just seems to be the "Insert Villain Here" for any writer to use and that's why she's become so inconsistent so many writers just use her as a villain without any actual thought as to why they want to use Mystique.
    Seconded. When I say the the latest X-men movie has more character development for Mystique then what we have seen in who knows how long I'm not exaggerating or making it up. The movie version is what the comic version should be for the most part. It's quite telling that when watching the movie your rooting for Mystique to succeed.
    Last edited by sureshot; 05-25-2014 at 09:13 AM.
    Jean loves me this I know because the church says it so.

Havok and Emma were right.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by sureshot View Post
    Seconded. When I say the the latest X-men movie has more character development for Mystique then what we have seen in who knows how long I'm not exaggerating or making it up. The movie version is what the comic version should be for the most part. It's quite telling that when watching the movie your rooting for Mystique to succeed.
    You know reading Magneto's solo and having him doing pretty gruesome stuff yet you still route for him is exactly how Mystique needs to be written as well. She should have a clear Motivation not just random Silver Age Supervillain plot. So I agree although I haven't watched the movie yet but I can tell that minus the baggage of inconsistency for Mystique they probably had more of a chance to develop her as a character.

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyBlueElf View Post
    You know reading Magneto's solo and having him doing pretty gruesome stuff yet you still route for him is exactly how Mystique needs to be written as well. She should have a clear Motivation not just random Silver Age Supervillain plot. So I agree although I haven't watched the movie yet but I can tell that minus the baggage of inconsistency for Mystique they probably had more of a chance to develop her as a character.
    It's strange because I get why they had Mystique become a villain again. She is a popular villain as well. Then they just turned the character into pretty much like the other 98% of the villains in the Marvel universe. One dimensional. With no redeeming qualities whatsoever. How many villains stand out from the rest. Not many Sinister, Doctor Doom, Magneto and others. The rest are portrayed as psycho, sociopaths with a anti- (insert superhero team) obsession. What makes it worse is that the Mags solo series is well written. Using extreme measures to protect mutants. Yet not going into villain territory. I admit to being a Mystique fan and biased. Yet imo if you see Days you will agree with me about Mystique. The movie version has nothing on the comic version. We have yet to see "it's not my fault I'm evil or crazy it's my powers fault" reference. The character is portrayed as very flawed. Obsessed yet no insanity (not yet anyway).
    Jean loves me this I know because the church says it so.

Havok and Emma were right.

BANNED

Talking Happy Birthday Joe Bennett!!!

Mystique promises not to kill special agent Jack Kubrick..

..if he helps her find X-51.

From X-51#1. Art by Joe Bennett

BANNED

After finding X-51..

..Mystique tries to shoot Sebastian Shaw

..who X-51 discovers is a member of the Mutant race.

From X-51#2. Art by Joe Bennett https://www.revolvy.com/page/Joe-Bennett-%28artist%29

Mystique is nowhere near the top tier. Even Exodus is better, and he’s orange and 90s.

BANNED

I'm always amazed how they rarely do anything with her and Nightcrawler's relationship. Aside from the Unlimited issue where the origin is revealed and the revolting Draco arc all we've ever really had was one bad issue of Amazing X-Men (set during Axis with inverted nonsense) and Miligan having Nightcrawler asking Mystique to leave the school when the X-Men voted her in during his run (a very good scene).

What I can't understand is why Mystique is part of the Quiet Council?
    She brings nothing, she is demanding, there are plenty other mutants who have her skills and powers, by letting her on, this gives her power when Xavier and Magbeto should know they should give her none.

Quote Originally Posted by JasmineW View Post
    She brings nothing, she is demanding, there are plenty other mutants who have her skills and powers, by letting her on, this gives her power when Xavier and Magbeto should know they should give her none.
    Because Mystique has been Xavier's wife in another life?
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PetPigeon View Post
    I'm always amazed how they rarely do anything with her and Nightcrawler's relationship. Aside from the Unlimited issue where the origin is revealed and the revolting Draco arc all we've ever really had was one bad issue of Amazing X-Men (set during Axis with inverted nonsense) and Miligan having Nightcrawler asking Mystique to leave the school when the X-Men voted her in during his run (a very good scene).
    I’m kinda torn. Kurt’s my favourite character and I want to be interested in his mother, but Mystique has been so badly written for so long, I can stand her any more.
    Not even going to go into his feckin’ father...
    If Hickman sorts out Kurt’s parentage, he’ll have my eternal gratitude.

Quote Originally Posted by JasmineW View Post
    She brings nothing, she is demanding, there are plenty other mutants who have her skills and powers, by letting her on, this gives her power when Xavier and Magneto should know they should give her none.
    Nope, neither can I. I can’t believe they reincarnated her after the Orchis Forge mission. Should have left her dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Su_Whisterfield View Post

Nope, neither can I. I can’t believe they reincarnated her after the Orchis Forge mission. Should have left her dead.
    I mean why not???
    Soooo Krakoa can gain ANOTHER enemy bwhen she eventually comes back from the dead or reveals she didn't really die,
    GrindrStone(D)

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

^ And people complain about Jean haters, good grief

Raven is one of the best X-characters period. Whether we consider her villain or antihero (which she is). She brings amazing energy, is longlived, has ties to many characters, a mutant ability with loads of potential, etc.

She 100% belongs on Council and is FAR more compelling than Exodus.

Also agree more should be done with her and Kurt.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    I mean why not???
    Soooo Krakoa can gain ANOTHER enemy bwhen she eventually comes back from the dead or reveals she didn't really die,
    She might throw her lot in with Orchis, it will be a dangerous combo.
    I’m convinced she has a portal to The Forge and we’re going to get a scene of her with Dr Gregor and Karima at the end of X-Men 6