Guardian of the Universe comicstar100's Avatar

Default Why is Hal Jordan a "renegade?"

I dropped off Green Lantern after Geoff Johns finished up his run. I just signed up for a monthly subscription and I'm a little lost. What has been happening? Why has Hal quit the Green Lantern Corp, he doesn't seem to have a ring anymore.

Fantastic Member

Because they wanted to change the status quo; that's pretty much the only good reason.

After everything the Guardians did (see the Third Army in Johns' run as an example), the universe stopped trusting in the Green Lanterns. Hall Jordan became the leader of the group but, after shapeshifters used his face to cause even more dissent, he decided to pretend to have been expelled from the Green Lanterns so everything bad would be blamed on him, and thus the universe would trust his friends again.

He stole the first green lantern ring, which was actually Krona's gauntlet, also shown in Johns' run. In theory it's more powerful than the common rings.

The whole idea kind of falls apart when you consider the whole "Lost Army" thing, though.

Maybe dc just wanted an excuse to put Hal Jordan in a space ship. Maybe Hal Jordan will get 2 androids too.

Mighty Member

The Templar Guardians that replaced the old Guardians picked him to lead the GLC, and through some cosmic shenanigans and some of his own screw ups the universe doesn't trust him or the GLC anymore. He figured if he left he could get everybody to blame the Corps' reputation on him, so he took off his ring and stole Krona's gauntlet out of the Corps vault and took off.

Also he drove off pretty much all his friends except Kilowog and Sinestro and he doesn't really have a life on Earth anymore so that's part of why he's on the run in space alone.

I'm not sure exactly what else he's done to become a wanted outlaw besides stealing the gauntlet.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by comicstar100 View Post
    I dropped off Green Lantern after Geoff Johns finished up his run. I just signed up for a monthly subscription and I'm a little lost. What has been happening? Why has Hal quit the Green Lantern Corp, he doesn't seem to have a ring anymore.
    He took the fall (on purpose) for the stuff the durlans did posing as GLs.

BANNED

Perhaps this is subject to perception, but everybody keeps saying the GLC screwed up in some way. My reading is that the GLC was moving along just fine, but then Durlans started impersonating GLs and wreaking havoc and then one impersonated Hal and did a galaxy-wide (or universe-wide, whatever) broadcast showing "Hal" being a raving a-hole. They weren't able to prove to the universe that it wasn't really Hal, so now Hal has separated from the Corps to while they rebuild their reputation, which includes giving up his ring and using a ancient prototype gauntlet weapon instead.

He probably stole the gauntlet so he would have a weapon out there in space, since it looks like he was still going to try to be a hero. I'm sure others have done more to deserve "most wanted criminal", but yes, stealing the gauntlet makes him A criminal. I'm not for certain but we don't really have his thoughts on what he is going to try and accomplish on his own.
    Of course, I dare. I'm Hal Jordan.