Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default The amazons in Mad Max: Fury road. (spoilers)

The Vuvalini in Mad Max: Fury Road = Amazons.

Old and hardened ladies riding motorcycles and declaring "One man, one shot" and "Who killed the world?" whilst still having big hearts and caring for one and another. And after leaving their former paradise they start anew in a place in need of their nurture after man ravaged it.

As a 70 year old woman after seen the film on her birthday puts it (on some trying to put the film down): "--they’re angry about the theme of men destroying the world and starting wars compared to women nurturing and rebuilding it, but that’s just a reality."
    http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2015/05/...-mother-in-law

And yeah. I love the film. Really hope the new WW film takes not how it handles women on film!

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I just got back from the theater. This movie was awesome, and was the most feminist action movie I've seen in a long while. I never would have expected to see a bunch of badass old biddies in a movie like this.

Watching this just cements what I've thought for a while: Theron NEEDS to be in the WW movie. She's a popular choice for the likes of Circe or Hera, but I'd love to see her in a more physical role like Furiosa. She'd make a great Hippolyta, or Cheetah or one of the more action-heavy goddesses like Athena or Artemis.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I just got back from the theater. This movie was awesome, and was the most feminist action movie I've seen in a long while.
    While I don't want to drag this too far off topic, you might want to look into seeing a recent film called The Grandmaster.

Astonishing Member

Haven't seen the movie, yet, but it sounds like I'll really like it.

Quote Originally Posted by borntohula View Post
    And yeah. I love the film. Really hope the new WW film takes not how it handles women on film!
    If I may, did you mean to say, "hope the new WW takes notes on," and if so, what, more specifically, would you like for the Amazons?

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    While I don't want to drag this too far off topic, you might want to look into seeing a recent film called The Grandmaster.
    I think I've seen this; it's the story of Bruce Lee's Kung fu master, right? If you don't mind, why do you bring it up here? To keep it on topic, how would you apply it to WW?

Watching this just cements what I've thought for a while: Theron NEEDS to be in the WW movie. She's a popular choice for the likes of Circe or Hera, but I'd love to see her in a more physical role like Furiosa. She'd make a great Hippolyta, or Cheetah or one of the more action-heavy goddesses like Athena or Artemis.
    I agree, she would be a great addition to the WW movie.
    Last edited by Awonder; 05-21-2015 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Awonder View Post
    I think I've seen this; it's the story of Bruce Lee's Kung fu master, right? If you don't mind, why do you bring it up here? To keep it on topic, how would you apply it to WW?
    While it is, that only plays in in the last five minutes. It is a more complicated film as far as post-war Asia and a woman's place in that time period.

Gong Er's character arc is one of the most up front "Feminist" portrayals I've come across in the last few years. Don't want to spoil too much by going into it.

Don't really know if I can link it to WW.

Astonishing Member

Thanks for the reply, Numberthirty. I'll have to check out the movie again, I don't remember it very well.

Thanks for the reply, Numberthirty. I'll have to check out the movie again, I don't remember it very well.
    It is surely worth a few viewings. Just the damage that the second Sino-Japanese War and it's aftermath cause is there but very understated. Let alone Ip Man immigrating to Hong Kong.

Astonishing Member

It is surely worth a few viewings. Just the damage that the second Sino-Japanese War and it's aftermath cause is there but very understated. Let alone Ip Man immigrating to Hong Kong.
    Yeah, that's a very interesting time period.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I've seen a few of the Ip Man films (all the ones with "Ip Man" in the title, natch lol). So Grandmaster is about him? Might have to check that out.

Also kinda bummed that due to the Amazons being immortal, we disappointingly won't be seeing ass kicking women in their 60s-70s like in Fury Road.

I've seen a few of the Ip Man films (all the ones with "Ip Man" in the title, natch lol). So Grandmaster is about him? Might have to check that out.
    While I wouldn't say it's about "Him", he is one of the central characters in the film.

Mighty Member

I'm gonna have a look at that one. Thanks for the tip!

If I may, did you mean to say, "hope the new WW takes notes on," and if so, what, more specifically, would you like for the Amazons?
    I absolutely meant note, and not "not" haha.

Hope you enjoy it.

Notice: I don't mean WW film should treat it's women perhaps as the world of Mad Max does at times. I meant the characterization.

And I'd really like it if the amazons where as deep layered the The Vuvalini. Hopefully also as show, don't tell.

Gonna watch it again tonight

totally random, and I haven't seen the movie yet, but I have to say that Vuvalini sounds like a bad meat substitute :P

By the way, Megan Gale had been offered to play Wonder Woman in the aborted JLA movie back then...directed by the same George Miller who directed MAD Max: The fury road!

I totally see why they chose her to play WW.

I really liked the movie, was quite surprised as I didn't expect it to be this DEEP in terms of themes and characterization!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by borntohula View Post
    As a 70 year old woman after seen the film on her birthday puts it (on some trying to put the film down): "--they’re angry about the theme of men destroying the world and starting wars compared to women nurturing and rebuilding it, but that’s just a reality."
    http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2015/05/...-mother-in-law
    Reality? To come to that conclusion one would have to be willing to ignore virtually every major achievement humanity has ever accomplished in favor of focusing on the conflicts that happened along the way.

It is a narrative designed to appeal to feminist.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lax View Post
    Reality? To come to that conclusion one would have to be willing to ignore virtually every major achievement humanity has ever accomplished in favor of focusing on the conflicts that happened along the way.

It is a narrative designed to appeal to feminist.
    That made me cringe hard.

But I heard the "Vuvalini" society was ruined after all.