Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I think you're underestimating how dangerous the DCU government can be just a tad.
    I don't see them throwing anything at the JUSTICE LEAGUE, that the League can't handle. Sure, they'd try and let the dogs loose, but Green Lantern alone can simply defy them.

The Batman clan might have a hard time. MAYBE Flash. There'd be a drop in the population of the heroic community. The League would withstand it.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Civil War for registration would not happen in the DCU.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I don't see them throwing anything at the JUSTICE LEAGUE, that the League can't handle. Sure, they'd try and let the dogs loose, but Green Lantern alone can simply defy them.

The Batman clan might have a hard time. MAYBE Flash. There'd be a drop in the population of the heroic community. The League would withstand it.
    It's not just in fire power I'm talking about. The U.S government loves to play dirty and I can see them finding a way to turn the public against the League. Especially if they've (the government) got Luthor on their side.

Incredible Member FIFTY-TWO (52)'s Avatar

There wouldn't be a Civil War because the heroes at DC aren't dumb. Why would they fight each other over an edict of the government?

Besides, the government tried that tactic with the old JSA and they gave Congress the finger and retired.
    Last word out of your sorry mouth will be SIR and it will be LOUD!!

It's not just in fire power I'm talking about. The U.S government loves to play dirty and I can see them finding a way to turn the public against the League. Especially if they've (the government) got Luthor on their side.
    It would just be the heroes vs the government. They wouldn't fight each other.
    Worst case scenario, most heroes would just go underground.

Quote Originally Posted by FIFTY-TWO (52) View Post
    There wouldn't be a Civil War because the heroes at DC aren't dumb. Why would they fight each other over an edict of the government?

Besides, the government tried that tactic with the old JSA and they gave Congress the finger and retired.
    Didn't some superheroes work for President Luthor?

Didn't some superheroes work for President Luthor?
    Yeah, and they all pretty much switched allegiances to Superman and Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by FIFTY-TWO (52) View Post

That would be a very interesting Green Lantern construct.
    I have no beef with Vegans

Civil War did happen in the DC Universe, Jonah Hex fought in it and so did Jeb Stewart, who later haunted a tank in World War 2
    I have no beef with Vegans

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Batman would ignore it. Superman would be against it, but sort of ignore it too. Though he might drop the hammer on Lex when the time came. Wonder Woman might simply ignore it. The Green Lanterns would just scoff at it and ignore it since they're out of American jurisdiction. Aquaman would have too much shite to do running a whole country, so he'd ignore it. The Flash? Well try and catch him to tell him to stop ignoring it. Cyborg doesn't even have a personal life yet, so he'd ignore it.

The Justice League operate in space so good luck knocking on their door.

Pretty much it would boil down to Lex Luthor and some government types demanding heroes to take off their masks, and the heroes just having a laugh. Does remind me of that issue of ACTION COMICS (was it Morrison?) where Superman tells Congress to go to hell, after they demand entry into his Fortress. I loved that.

I guess now that I think about it, that was pretty much Morrison's take on Civil War:

US Congress: "Let us into your Fortress immediately, Superman!"

Superman: "Shove off."
    Lol

One corrections, it was Lobdell, not Morrison.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Charlus View Post
    Lol

One corrections, it was Lobdell, not Morrison.
    Ah! Yeah, you're right. I couldn't remember because I still imagine all of Lobdell's stuff having Rocafort art, that issue had a different artist right? I'll have to dig it out, it's a favorite of mine.

Back before Jeph Loeb did the whole crappy Public Enemies story, DC kind of had a vague "Registration Act" going on. Captain Atom was the puppet of President Luthor along with John Stewart, Power Girl, Shazam (I think?), and Hawkman. There were others but I can't remember. Superman and Batman were the ones opposed to Luthor's regime.

Lots of missed opportunity there. President Lex Luthor was a real interesting idea, I thought. Especially mirroring our own Patriot Act and loss of civil liberties. I always thought Luthor was smart enough to play the public into his favor, even make them think he was a forward thinking leader. It would have been interesting if we skipped Infinite Crisis and just played that out. Luthor pretending to care about the nation, just to make Superman and the League seem irrelevant.

BANNED

Isnt this basically Injustice Gods Among Us? I think u can just read that comic series.

Yeah..most people already pointed out that there wouldn't be any real fight between the heroes. More like the government and maybe a few hired criminals against the heroes.

I'm sure they'd make Superman act out of character and side with the government against the superhero community and have Wonder Woman be his guard dog. All in an attempt to once again make Batman look good.
    So basically something similar to Injustice.

For a civil war in DC you would need another motive to separate the heroes in two fronts. But the goverment angle doesn't work in DC characters, as a community, they are more tigher.
    The most close than the DC characters were to a schism was in the Tower of Babbel and OMAC Project situations. And we remember the guilty in those cases, right?
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin