Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    I'm not saying she wouldn't make a cool superhero. Raised by the Parkers, sure. And if Secret Wars hadn't put her in the Regent's domain, she'd live a happy life most likely. Totally woulda turned out to be the hero Mephisto feared.

But their world isn't right, there's extenuating circumstances involved. And in a future issue Annie goes out to play hero like her dad. I don't see her getting killed, but I also don't see her coming out the other side of the series the same. I expect the Regent to make sure of that. Plenty of heroic Spiders running around, especially with Miles coming to the 616. Gotta be a few evil Spiders as well.
    Fair point.

Personally, I'd be down with Annie being more of an antihero type.

and also glad you're doing better, Kevinroc!
    Last edited by Spider-Tiger; 05-26-2015 at 02:24 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Ha ha. (Thanks.)

I only bring it up because comics are big on "nature vs. nurture." Because of dramatic potential. This doesn't mean Annie will necessarily be a good person. Just pointing out how comics in the past have handled the issue.
    Nah, I get what you were saying. Then again, Kaine was also a clone.

I think Marvel is more the nurture while DC is more nature, but both like to occasionally play in the other's side.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post
    Fair point.

Personally, I'd be down with Annie being more of an antihero type.
    I imagine she'd eventually work her way to antihero. Comes to her senses after some big and dramatic showdown where, like, the Regent abuses her trust or rips up a crayon drawing of him she did early on in their relationship. Then she's without family for a while, too ashamed to run into Peter and MJ's arms, maybe goes on a trip to really rediscover herself before settling down in a crappy little apartment in a crappy little neighborhood where she learns to use her powers responsibly by defending the same commonfolk she once had nothing but contempt for.

Maybe she also gets a dog and names him Ms. Lion The Third.

Gotta be a few evil Spiders as well.
    Why?
    Hell, why are there so many Spiders in the first place? It's getting all Silver Age DC around here.

Also: Kaine, the Queen, and arguably Ezekiel.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    Why?
    Hell, why are there so many Spiders in the first place? It's getting all Silver Age DC around here.

Also: Kaine, the Queen, and arguably Ezekiel.
    Because it'd be Peter's evil daughter.

Kaine is currently a good guy, unless I missed something. Antihero, sure, but whatev'.
    Last edited by cyberhubbs; 05-26-2015 at 04:47 PM.

Because it'd be Peter's evil daughter.
    He's got enough evil _____s already.

Kaine is currently a good guy,
    Relatively recent development.

And surprise surprise, more interesting as a hero.

BANNED

He's got enough evil _____s already.
    But no evil daughter on that list.

I guess?

I liked his evil beard.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post
    As Tuck stated, it's usually a combination of genetic predisposition and social influence that determines behavior. In theory, genetics determines the likelihood of exhibiting certain behaviors/traits and environmental factors ultimately act at the on/off switches that shape our personalities (and our physiological characteristics), but of course, it's not entirely 50/50 on the individual level and varies from person to person.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/h...rture.html?c=r

http://news.stanford.edu/news/2014/d...te-121814.html

Isn't Annie being raised by the Parkers though?

At the very least, turning her evil would further differentiate her from Mayday, but it looks like she'd make an awesome little superhero as well.
    it's all about heritability. even if behaviour was 100% written by genetics (which it isn’t) you don’t inherit an exact copy of the genetic structures of either parents. genes go awry, there are abnormalities, there are recessive genes, etc. otherwise siblings would be little more than duplicates.

take twin studies for instance- while there is some proof that there might be initial similarities and shared traits, these are often superseded by their eventual upbringing and individual environments. a rose bush will always be a rose bush and not a daffodil, but it will still take the shape that you prune it to.

the current popular thought is epigenetics; that genes are essentially activated or affected by the environmental pressures placed on them. that still doesn’t support the idea that “good” is genetic.
    Last edited by boots; 05-26-2015 at 07:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    This is comic books. And it seems somebody did not read the Geoff Johns Teen Titans series that stated Superboy was a clone of Superman and Lex Luthor.

you’re right, i haven’t and probably never will read it. but as you point out, it is superhero comics, and there are no consistent in-universe rules.

kaine has some sort of inherent goodness to him, even though his environment caused him to become a sadist and a murderer.

stryfe was born of two goodies and became a big, bad baddie. evil twins and clones abound.

“age of apocalypse” showed that a different turning point in history (in what…the 70s??) that a good 50% of marvel characters would heel turn into good or bad depending on their circumstances.

blackbolt’s brother is a baddie.

madelyne pryor became a baddie.

etc etc.

Nah, I get what you were saying. Then again, Kaine was also a clone.

I think Marvel is more the nurture while DC is more nature, but both like to occasionally play in the other's side.
    or this. just saw this.

have to disagree there. grumpy superhero kaine with the teeth removed is a huge step down from the character we were given in “lost years” and “redemption”.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    have to disagree there. grumpy superhero kaine with the teeth removed is a huge step down from the character we were given in “lost years” and “redemption”.
    So for a few seconds, but no more than fifteen, I wondered when Kaine got a false set of teeth in his book since I didn't keep up until the end.

So for a few seconds, but no more than fifteen, I wondered when Kaine got a false set of teeth in his book since I didn't keep up until the end.
    he also started exfoliating and the atkins diet since then. not to mention shampoo. it’s called character development.

BANNED

he also started exfoliating and the atkins diet since then. not to mention shampoo. it’s called character development.
    I prefer my antiheroes a little less hygienic. The Punisher hasn't washed his lucky underwear since the 80s.

Mighty Member

it's all about heritability. even if behaviour was 100% written by genetics (which it isn’t) you don’t inherit an exact copy of the genetic structures of either parents. genes go awry, there are abnormalities, there are recessive genes, etc. otherwise siblings would be little more than duplicates.

take twin studies for instance- while there is some proof that there might be initial similarities and shared traits, these are often superseded by their eventual upbringing and individual environments. a rose bush will always be a rose bush and not a daffodil, but it will still take the shape that you prune it to.

the current popular thought is epigenetics; that genes are essentially activated or affected by the environmental pressures placed on them. that still doesn’t support the idea that “good” is genetic.
    Environmental factors supercede genetic similarities? Could you post a link to those studies/articles? From what I've understood, identical twin studies (such as those conducted by Thomas Bouchard) emphasize the role that genetics plays in determining various personality characteristics. That being said, they do have their critics.

To be fair, "good" is a pretty broad term. How would you define that operationally?

I didn't say that "good is genetic", but you stated that "goodness is not genetic". Is there enough scientific evidence to conclude that there isn't some genetic component to good behaviors or that good behaviors are caused solely by environmental conditions?
    Last edited by Spider-Tiger; 05-26-2015 at 09:32 PM.