Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default : Convergence: Wonder woman #2 (spoilers)

The issue was OK, but the sad end with etta and steve death was awful. The best convergences books had a happy end

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    Because if everything works perfect for all of them... then they'd all be the same and there's no risk.

Wonder Woman did win here. It just cost a lot. Considering it ends on a note about the price of victory, I'd say that's why the heavy cost: It's a story about the cost of victory.
    No, this issue wasn't better than speed force or superman or nightwing/oracle.

I think it is much more interesting seeing heroes saving their loved ones than what happened on this issue.

seems impossible to steve and WW get a happy ending, go figure why
    Last edited by Blacksun; 05-22-2015 at 06:15 AM.

@SeanT, I will answer your question from the other thread here, since we've been admonished not to spoil in the "Preview" thread.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanT View Post
    And one head-scratching moment-- how was Steve able to retain his goodness after being turned into a vampire? Or had he not turned yet? He looked pretty dead to me.
    I figured his love for Diana was so powerful he was able to retain some of his "self".
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    The issue was OK, but the sad end with etta and steve death was awful. The best convergences books had a happy end

No, this issue wasn't better than speed force or superman or nightwing/oracle.

I think it is much more interesting seeing heroes saving their loved ones than what happened on this issue.

Honestly I think Steve and Diana have NEVER really had a happy ending. Everytime they got close one or both of them ended up dead. Personally I think Marston never really wanted Steve to be for WW that's why he always portrayed Diana Prince as the side that was in love with him ... WW rarely seemed to care all that much about him until after Marston's death and Kanigher and the Silver Age made her a romance book. GA WW swooped in saved Steve and then kind of rolled her eyes when she realized that Steve was in love with WW but that Diana Prince was in love with Steve.

With that said, I didn't love this issue either. I hate that Steve and Etta died. I am tired of Bat-villains and Gotham for WW. I think it's a joke that vampire Joker was "faster and stronger" that WW ... she was really nerfed in this issue IMO.

So disappointed in this issue. We haven't seen this version of Wonder Woman and her supporting cast since 30 years and that's what we got? Slaughters and despair? I was expecting something else from a "Love letters to the fans". Too bad as the first issue was so promising...

By the way, why didn't she had her powers under the dome in issue 1? She has strength and endurance because of her Amazon training, that not something that could be suppressed unless she was chained by a man. Is there a reason given in the main convergence series?

There is still Wonder Woman 329, right before crisis, if you want to see a happy ending for Steve & Diana. It is on sale on comixology right now. (Of course try not to think of Crisis 12 at the end, it spoils the moment)
    Last edited by David B.; 05-22-2015 at 09:56 AM.
    Previously known as Psyshot

Quote Originally Posted by Darius View Post
    With that said, I didn't love this issue either. I hate that Steve and Etta died. I am tired of Bat-villains and Gotham for WW. I think it's a joke that vampire Joker was "faster and stronger" that WW ... she was really nerfed in this issue IMO.
    Indeed, this was a Diana who was supposed to be faster than Mercury and Stronger than Hercules (it happened in the comics!). Even if we accept she was lacking practice because of her time spent powerless under the dome, she should have put a better fight.

And yes, would it have killed them to give us something other than bat-villains? Maybe one vampire Dr. Psycho or something?
    Previously known as Psyshot

Quote Originally Posted by David B. View Post
    Indeed, this was a Diana who was supposed to be faster than Mercury and Stronger than Hercules (it happened in the comics!). Even if we accept she was lacking practice because of her time spent powerless under the dome, she should have put a better fight.

And yes, would it have killed them to give us something other than bat-villains? Maybe one vampire Dr. Psycho or something?
    Right? I kind of think that idea is brilliant! Vampire-Dr. Psycho would have been a much better villain for her since he would be both a physical and mental threat to her! I think they kind of melded together a bunch of "old school" versions of Diana for this and ended up with a version that looked to be about as powerful as a Perez-era Amazon.

BANNED

There is still Wonder Woman 329, right before crisis, if you want to see a happy ending for Steve & Diana. It is on sale on comixology right now. (Of course try not to think of Crisis 12 at the end, it spoils the moment)
    yes, also earth 2 from roy thomas that they have a daughter Fury. But this was all post-crisis. DC seems to have a huge problem with him after it

Honestly I think Steve and Diana have NEVER really had a happy ending. Everytime they got close one or both of them ended up dead. Personally I think Marston never really wanted Steve to be for WW that's why he always portrayed Diana Prince as the side that was in love with him ... WW rarely seemed to care all that much about him until after Marston's death and Kanigher and the Silver Age made her a romance book. GA WW swooped in saved Steve and then kind of rolled her eyes when she realized that Steve was in love with WW but that Diana Prince was in love with Steve.

WW loved and cared deeply for steve trevor on Marston run
    Last edited by Javier Velasco; 05-22-2015 at 10:29 AM. Reason: confrontational

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Nobody fought their own villains or supporting characters, did they? Except for Two-Face, who fought himself.

So disappointed in this issue. We haven't seen this version of Wonder Woman and her supporting cast since 30 years and that's what we got? Slaughters and despair?
    You see "slaughters and despair," and I saw heroic sacrifice and dedication.

Best new Wonder Woman I've read since, well, quite a while. Flawed, but bettear than the Azz run, for sure.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Oh good, someone started a thread on this one. Had been looking forward to all the Convergence stories, but this one with Diana and Steve was in my top 5 can't wait for.

Issue one was a fantastic set up. Desperate people believing the end of the world is salvation. Diana and Steve happy together, trying their best to keep their faith in each other and in the future intact. Poor Etta easily lead a stray by the cult. Diana in trouble Steve runs to the rescue. But she doesn't need rescuing because she is Wonder Woman again. And then comes Red Rain Joker, Ivy and Catwoman to ruin everyone's day.

Sure the cultists got their salvation, but probably not what they had in mind. Losing Etta was tragic but nothing like what happened to Steve.

The whole issue was so bogged down by dialog and exposition. They were spouting paragraphs of lines in between single punches. Joker tells her right away how to defeat him but she keeps taking her sweet time. With her speed she could have gotten Steve out of there a few times. Nope, she gets side tracked and then waxes poetically with her conscious. Sorry Trevor it was nice knowing you. Even in the end we still don't see that she made sure Joker was NOT coming back. I guess a beam of wood is too big a hole to come back from?

What really sucks is that over in Swamp Thing the governing rule of the undead is once the main vamp is gone, the turned go back to being human. Technically if she had offed Joker right after he killed Etta, both she and the cult members would have been fine.

This issue irked me enough I'm having to rewrite it in my head canon just to stop thinking about. She decapitates the Joker(but still guilty over having to slay the monster), Etta and the others are human again. Catwoman(still a werecat) kills Ivy (who just wants to see the sun again) out of a jealous rage, she gets killed by debris from the earthquake. Teens help them all out of the church. Cultists mad at being saved. Trevor stays to help locals, WW runs off to join the main fight with Telos. "Good luck Angel.", The End

I really enjoyed the first issue, but this one was just... not good.

And the art was a step down, but of course anyone would be a step down from Joshua Middleton.

The takeaway I get from this series is that I really miss this version of Steve Trevor...

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
    I really miss this version of Steve Trevor...
    This Steve is the best I think I've ever read, in any era.

And, while I have a soft spot for the Diana from this era, she's written a lot better here than she was then. I'll take this Wonder Woman over most of the recent takes we've had.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

yes, also earth 2 from roy thomas that they have a daughter Fury. But this was all post-crisis. DC seems to have a huge problem with him after it

WW loved and cared deeply for steve trevor on Marston run
    Not really ... Diana Prince had a mad crush on him and WW more than once would think things like "What do I do? Steve is in love with WW, but Diana Prince is in love with Steve" ... it wasn't until Kanigher in the 1950's that WW was in love with Steve. The entire set up of GA WW and Steve Trevor was to illustrate that a woman such as WW (who did not fit the cultural norms of the time) was more desirable than Diana Prince (the stereotype of the "good girl" and in Marston's view the side of femininity that even women "despised"). WW rarely commented much on Steve except to point out that he was something of a pain in the butt because she had to constantly rescue him. She certainly didn't rely on Steve in a crisis ... she had Etta and the Holliday Girls for that!

BANNED

Not really ... Diana Prince had a mad crush on him and WW more than once would think things like "What do I do? Steve is in love with WW, but Diana Prince is in love with Steve" ... it wasn't until Kanigher in the 1950's that WW was in love with Steve. The entire set up of GA WW and Steve Trevor was to illustrate that a woman such as WW (who did not fit the cultural norms of the time) was more desirable than Diana Prince (the stereotype of the "good girl" and in Marston's view the side of femininity that even women "despised"). WW rarely commented much on Steve except to point out that he was something of a pain in the butt because she had to constantly rescue him. She certainly didn't rely on Steve in a crisis ... she had Etta and the Holliday Girls for that!
    Diana Prince is WW. Maybe marston just didn't wanted it to be very evident with WW because of the hero feminist persona. But WW many times got to show that she loved and cared deeply for steve.

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    This Steve is the best I think I've ever read, in any era.

And, while I have a soft spot for the Diana from this era, she's written a lot better here than she was then. I'll take this Wonder Woman over most of the recent takes we've had.
    I would take this over what we have now. love johns ww, but the solo is awful.

Trevor was awesome here.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/co...an-2-dc-comics review was very negative of this issue

Diana Prince is WW. Maybe marston just didn't wanted it to be very evident with WW because of the hero feminist persona. But WW many times got to show that she loved and cared deeply for steve.

I would take this over what we have now. love johns ww, but the solo is awful.

Trevor was awesome here.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/co...an-2-dc-comics review was very negative of this issue
    Yes and no ... Diana Prince was often used as an illustration of all the things a "good girl" in the 1940's was meant to be ... While WW was an illustration of how being strong an independent was a more desirable state for a woman. Diana Prince was an identity WW assumed in order to fit in and she most often assumed the personality when she needed to be seen as conforming, later they made Diana Prince more along the lines of Clark Kent, but in the Marston years she was not simply WW in disguise, she had a distinct personality that showed the reader an essentially different woman.

BANNED

Yes and no ... Diana Prince was often used as an illustration of all the things a "good girl" in the 1940's was meant to be ... While WW was an illustration of how being strong an independent was a more desirable state for a woman. Diana Prince was an identity WW assumed in order to fit in and she most often assumed the personality when she needed to be seen as conforming, later they made Diana Prince more along the lines of Clark Kent, but in the Marston years she was not simply WW in disguise, she had a distinct personality that showed the reader an essentially different woman.

WW quickly loses her concentration when she sees steve in danger.

she says he is wonderful

she is clearly in love with him