Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

I just cant wait for SW to be done so I can get back to reading Hulk.. HATE Doc Green and the only thing I have to say for SW's is I HOPE they get rid of Doc Green (worst Hulk story ever) and get back to the Hulk Smash, Ground pounding, World Breaking Hulk I have loved for over 30 years .

As for everything else in SW's I am not all that impressed YET, hope they make me eat my words

Quote Originally Posted by TheStrongestOne View Post
    I'm happy to see you acknowledge/praise Joe Quesada's involvement in Civil War... but then you sort of lose credibility tearing him down with using what appears to be fictional quotes based on how you perceived the situation???

First you bring up "Planet Hulk".. you do realize that "Planet Hulk" was Joe Quesada's idea which he handed off to the very capable Greg Pak to flesh out. *Much like the "Red Hulk" was also Joe's idea that he handed off to Jeph Loeb to flesh out.

But let's get to some real quotes of Quesada regarding regarding the revitalization of Marvel Cosmic (which I'll provide a link to at the end of this post).

When Marvel Cosmic was relaunched with the ANNIHILATION event, Joe had this to say: *"I am front-row-center for this party," enthuses Marvel Editor-In-Chief Joe Quesada. "Andy's more than right to point out that these space guys have not been given a proper spotlight lately…but hey! Ya can't keep good, nay, GREAT characters down at ol' Marvel, and this one's chock fulla great characters!"

Now you also mentioned the "incredible work" DNA did with 2008's "Guardians of the Galaxy" (which I couldn't agree more). *But in this same press release from 2005, did you know that Joe was the one pushing a Guardians relaunch? Quoting him again, Joe Quesada said the following: *"Now, if only I could convince Andy and his gang to use the Guardians of the Galaxy…"

That was 3 years before the new DnA "Guardians of the Galaxy" comic came out.

Joe Quesada was the Editor in Chief. While no one is perfect and he did have some misses, not only was Joe a great idea man, but he was the one who decided what came out during his reign. Let's not slight him on the credit he deserves. Here's that link:

http://marvel.com/news/comics/209/ma...r_annihilation
    My bad. I just checked your links and you are right. Maybe I am not remembering it all correctly. I have to admit what I wrote/commented was from an interview made to Joe by Newsarama.com (when he had a CUP'O JOE weekly FAQ over there). I remember he saying he didn't like space characters. But still green lighted the idea, and that he was happy he did (despite not liking space characters) because it was a success. I think that interview came around the time that Mystic Arcana was coming out. (an event Joe hoped that would revitalized marvel magic characters like annihilation did with the space character) But the article you linked says the contrary. So maybe I am remembering it wrong. I apologize for that.
    and thanks for correcting me.

Can this thread be for people that feel like secret wars really just seems like overhyped wasted potential and that it could have been an attempt to go absolutely insane with charater and story diversity. Could have done more ridiculous out there stories but instead played it safe with the same boring stuff and just want it to be over.
    Monica Rambeau is the queen of my heart and life. Bow down to her then give her all your money.

Nostagia leads to stagnation and over glorifying the past. The past sucked, the present sucks, and the future will suck. Take off the rose colored glasses and don't let that jerk nostalgia trick you into thinking life was better than it really was. If 20 years from now I'm of those people that say music, tv, videogames etc. was better back in my day please hit me in the knee caps with a bat.

Quote Originally Posted by darthjoker View Post
    My bad. I just checked your links and you are right. Maybe I am not remembering it all correctly. I have to admit what I wrote/commented was from an interview made to Joe by Newsarama.com (when he had a CUP'O JOE weekly FAQ over there). I remember he saying he didn't like space characters. But still green lighted the idea, and that he was happy he did (despite not liking space characters) because it was a success. I think that interview came around the time that Mystic Arcana was coming out. (an event Joe hoped that would revitalized marvel magic characters like annihilation did with the space character) But the article you linked says the contrary. So maybe I am remembering it wrong. I apologize for that.
    and thanks for correcting me.
    You my friend are definitely made of quality stuff. Cheers to you sir!

By the way I am so on your page regarding the "Guardians of the Galaxy" movie. I simply adore the film, but it it appears to have ruined the comic to some degree. How much of it is a marketing decision versus a Bendis decision I'm not sure, but it's frustrating that every other spoken piece of dialogue (especially by Star-Lord) has to be a joke or wisecrack..diminishing the dramatic weight or tension of the current adventure they're in.... instead of the ever so slightly measured humor that DnA tactfully peppered in their run. It's frustrating.
    Last edited by TheStrongestOne; 05-24-2015 at 09:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nipower888 View Post
    Can this thread be for people that feel like secret wars really just seems like overhyped wasted potential and that it could have been an attempt to go absolutely insane with charater and story diversity. Could have done more ridiculous out there stories but instead played it safe with the same boring stuff and just want it to be over.
    Absolutely..!

Amazing Member

Has anyone noticed that Dr. Strange in really looking like Littlefinger from GoT? Isn't it enough that everything in Marvel Universe has to look like their movies, now we have to read GoT rip-offs? Enough with the reign of Avengers and bad stories like ( Original Sin, Fear Itself, AXIS, AvX). really getting bored of the "Heroes vs Heroes" theme and at the end the Avengers be victorious and Just. Secret Wars although they had a good lead-in story in NA and Avengers does not seem to be something fresh and new. And this is coming from a guy who reads only Marvel comics.

Spectacular Member markallenchi's Avatar

I'm just curious if those who don't like SW have read everything that LED UP to SW? The first two issues might seem disapponting to someone who just jumped on the bandwagon, but if you've been with Hickman throughout FF, F4, Ultimates, NA and Avengers, this is a massive payoff. And, there is more to come.

For the record, I thought AvsX was good and I liked Infinity (who doesn't like a massive space war?) The only books that have sucked, to me, are AXIS and Battle of the Atom.

But seeing the alternate reality characters has been fun. Sorry if I spolied the party
    Mark Allen Chi

Quote Originally Posted by canuckdad View Post
    I just cant wait for SW to be done so I can get back to reading Hulk.. HATE Doc Green and the only thing I have to say for SW's is I HOPE they get rid of Doc Green (worst Hulk story ever) and get back to the Hulk Smash, Ground pounding, World Breaking Hulk I have loved for over 30 years .

As for everything else in SW's I am not all that impressed YET, hope they make me eat my words
    Me too my friend. I'm not a fan of the Doc Green storyline. And I think it would have been nice for Rick or somebody to point out to Doc Green that his new mantra that "gamma beings are too dangerous" has essentially turned him into Ross.. which might have brought on some interesting internal examination of himself.. but we didn't even get that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TheStrongestOne View Post
    If your missing the days of the previous Joe Quesada reign where you got some pretty terrific events like "Annihilation Conquest", "Civil War" and "World War Hulk"... THIS THREAD is for YOU!
    You lose. Good day, sir!

And yes, so far not enamored with Secret Wars. But citing Civil War as a good event.... euuuuggggh.

Just wanted to throw my hat into the ring and declare: I too think Secret Wars is a big pile of bantha poodoo. While a few stories (because of good writers - Gillen and G. Willow Wilson) sound fun, they are ONLY fun; not brilliant, not amazing, because ultimately they are all "what ifs" that won't have any relevance to anyone 1 year from now. The only good thing about this is Bendis ignoring all of it in Uncanny X-men (thank goodness one writer had sense)

Hickman pulled a Red Wedding on my comics!!!
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 05-25-2015 at 01:09 PM.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Emma's Midriff View Post
    Age of X was really good. I wish there was an Age of X domain.
    Age of X Magneto will play a role in the Secret Wars Red Skull mini.

Greetings, Chicken!!! Mantis Girl 94's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    Didn't everyone pretty much hate Civil War and World War Hulk? How many threads like this do you think those stories had?

BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Just wanted to throw my hat into the ring and declare: I too think Secret Wars is a big pile of bantha poodoo.
    Bantha poodoo?? LOL I have to admit I laughed out loud with that one!

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis Girl 94 View Post
    BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!!!
    AMEN!!
    Last edited by TheStrongestOne; 05-25-2015 at 04:27 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Just wanted to throw my hat into the ring and declare: I too think Secret Wars is a big pile of bantha poodoo. While a few stories (because of good writers - Gillen and G. Willow Wilson) sound fun, they are ONLY fun; not brilliant, not amazing, because ultimately they are all "what ifs" that won't have any relevance to anyone 1 year from now. The only good thing about this is Bendis ignoring all of it in Uncanny X-men (thank goodness one writer had sense)

Hickman pulled a Red Wedding on my comics!!!
    At least the third time I've had to post this:
    I want to make it very clear, nothing in that series or during the event, is inconsequential. Nothing there is a "What If?" story, or an alternate reality story. There is only one reality, and it is Battleworld. That is the only reality. And out of that, everything that was part of it, every single book needs to bring something onto the table that will last and exist and inform the Marvel universe moving forward. That could be a character or characters, good guy or bad guy. It could be a new region. It could be a new artifact of great power or what have you. It could be almost anything. But every single series that we're doing is a piece of the Marvel universe going forward.
    http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/22/84...onso-interview
    I write about the intersection of science, comics and culture. Check it out!

I'm purposely not reading Secret Wars, but I have read a few tie-ins. I was sceptical about A-Force because of the really weird way it was announce. Nonetheless, I read it because I really like the writers and the art was great, and it fell flat. The book is seriously underwhelming and if issue 2 isn't any better I'm dropping it.

Just because it's about about women and written by women doesn't make it a good book.
    I still miss Renee Montoya. Oh, and I'm a dude.