Default Sensations Comics #34 & 35 Digital SPOILERS

As I read the concluding chapter to this tale, I thought Hey, doesn't this story build off of a plot point early in Rucka's run where WW helped overthrow an "oppressive" African dictator? A google search led me to a review over at the-medium-is-not-enough.com that came to the same conclusion. I like this idea. I wish more Sensation stories took place in recognizable WW timelines.

I enjoyed the well-choreographed fight scenes throughout this story. Although in my head, I never really saw Ares as the kind of bad guy that WW would go hand-to-hand with. I view him as being too powerful for that. I can't recall if Perez and others portrayed him this way. But this author, Josh Elder, definitely seems to be going for the Perez/Rucka vibe and I think he nailed it. Diana's whole warrior-for-peace angle is played out well here. And this is one of the rare Sensation stories that seems the perfect length.

Sidenote: The review I mentioned above criticizes this tale for "fanservice", i.e.---Steve Trevor's appearance, the Wonder Spin, Ares' traditional look. I'm like, huh? Recognizable WW tropes in a Wonder Woman book--a book with the explicit mission of being a venue for different incarnations--is frowned on? I don't see how any of these things could be objectionable, especially not at a time when the character is appearing in a half dozen or so different books. It's like complaining about Spider-Man using his spidey-sense.
    Last edited by Largo161; 05-22-2015 at 07:04 PM.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    As I read the concluding chapter to this tale, I thought Hey, doesn't this story build off of a plot point early in Rucka's run where WW helped overthrow an "oppressive" African dictator. A google search led me to a review over at the-medium-is-not-enough.com that came to the same conclusion. I like this idea. I wish more Sensation stories took place in recognizable WW timelines.

I enjoyed the well-choreographed fight scenes throughout this story. Although in my head, I never really saw Ares as the kind of bad guy that WW would go hand-to-hand with. I view him as being too powerful for that. I can't recall if Perez and others portrayed him this way. But this author, Josh Elder, definitely seems to be going for the Perez/Rucka vibe and I think he nailed it. Diana's whole warrior-for-peace angle is played out well here. And this is one of the rare Sensation stories that seems the perfect length.

Sidenote: The review I mentioned above criticizes this tale for "fanservice", i.e.---Steve Trevor's appearance, the Wonder Spin, Ares' traditional look. I'm like, huh? Recognizable WW tropes in a Wonder Woman book--a book with the explicit mission of being a venue for different incarnations--is frowned on? I don't see how any of these things could be objectionable, especially not at a time when the character is appearing in a half dozen or so different books. It's like complaining about Spider-Man using his spidey-sense.
    Steve and old Ares are pandering? people are reading too much into new 52. So I guess Injustice is pandering. I wonder what will happen when Steve get backs to WW comics, if it will be pandering...he was created to be her love interest

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    Steve and old Ares are pandering? people are reading too much into new 52. So I guess Injustice is pandering. I wonder what will happen when Steve get backs to WW comics, if it will be pandering...he was created to be her love interest
    I would argue that he was created to be her male damsel in distress. Marston didn't really show a lot of WW being in love with Steve. He left that to Diana Prince.

Quote Originally Posted by Darius View Post
    I would argue that he was created to be her male damsel in distress. Marston didn't really show a lot of WW being in love with Steve. He left that to Diana Prince.
    I say this respectfully, but the distinction you make sounds like hair-splitting to me.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

I liked the issues. It was nice to see a story arc of this dedicated to a classic WW foe. However, I agree that Ares isn't the type to just fight her in physical combat. I didn't get the Rucka connection at first, but I dig it. But in Rucka's run, Ares was never just a villain who fought with brute force.

As for the fan-service stuff... well, we WW fans rarely get any service anyway, so if having Ares in his classic look, Steve, and the Wonder Spin in a comic is fanservice, bring on some more!