Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    Yeah, one theory - which seems to be coming true - is that younger readers and girls in particular find it easier to get into comics now that they don't have to go into comic stores, which are often not very girl-friendly or kid-friendly places.
    Helps that so many people are being raised on internet commerce. We are living in wild times.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

The "8 months gap" clearly is an excuse for most writers to ignore Secret Wars and the inevitable psychological damages to the heroes and the entire populace.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    There's all sorts of ways to get comic books these days. I think the 'older' generations favor shops and the like, but newer fans? Tap of the screen works just fine, if not better.

I'm aware there's more then one way to get your hands on comics but i just dont automatically attribute stuff like digital comics or buying online as being "new readers"

How do you know those people who're buying trades online or going the digital route aren't simply longtime readers who decided to switch to a different method of buying their comics?

I dont dispute there are new readers out there but there's nothing solid to suggest the sales success of stuff like Spider Gwen or Ms Marvel can be attributed to massive influx of people new to comics.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    Yeah, one theory - which seems to be coming true - is that younger readers and girls in particular find it easier to get into comics now that they don't have to go into comic stores, which are often not very girl-friendly or kid-friendly places.
    They've had that kind of market for a long time by buying trades from places like Barnes & Noble and Borders, as well as online retailers like Amazon.

The difference isn't necessarily that they are here, so much as their opinions now matter due to their buying of floppies (both digital and print). They are affecting titles on a level that the big two suddenly notice. If they shift away from a certain title, it can mean a significant drop in sales for a title, which means Marvel and DC have to be cognizant of their power/impact in/upon the marketplace.

It isn't just women and minorities though. Its also white males who felt equally ashamed/disgruntled/discouraged/unhappy with comic shops before there was a cultural shift to embrace more casual fans (which has happened over the last few years).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by classicgmer View Post
    I'm aware there's more then one way to get your hands on comics but i just dont automatically attribute stuff like digital comics or buying online as being "new readers"

How do you know those people who're buying trades online or going the digital route aren't simply longtime readers who decided to switch to a different method of buying their comics?

I dont dispute there are new readers out there but there's nothing solid to suggest the sales success of stuff like Spider Gwen or Ms Marvel can be attributed to massive influx of people new to comics.
    I don't know about massive numbers, but there's always new readers. And they're likely to buy stuff online since that's something which has really taken off within the last generation. Not saying they're the only ones buying comics online, but I do feel safe in saying they make up a good chunk of those customers.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    The "8 months gap" clearly is an excuse for most writers to ignore Secret Wars and the inevitable psychological damages to the heroes and the entire populace.
    Or it's a way to throw readers into the brand new world without long, protracted stories of how they fit into this new world and just show us a more normalized world where everyone is kind of finding their place. Personally, I don't need to see how everyone reacts to the stuff that just happened. I'd like to see all the craziness that leads to the end of Battleworld, then the actual end of Battleworld, then show me how we're doing now. Now, that's just me, and I trust that flashbacks to will be used where they're needed but post-Battleworld I want to get back to "all-new, all-different" Marvel stories.

I hope there will be an another speedster in Marvel universe, there is just stuck like this now, quicksilver must be improving his speed, near like radiowaves is cool though, and using quicksilver from ultimate version would be beautiful, there is no such a rule that there is no fastest than or near like flash, it's kind of bullshit and egoist,
    wanted to see another speedster around and be spot just like another character got,
    the other has their mine spot anyone should get that, and who knew it most, but i think speedster level in MCU i think it's kind of low and cheap... let it be top of the most in a new ways of this new universe they call.
    I HOPE THIS IS MOST
    - All-New X-Factor - Iron Fist : The Living Weapon - Superior Iron Man - Uncanny Avengers - Captain Marvel & Ms Marvel -

• Quicksilver
    • Iron Fist
    • Iron Man
    • Captain Marvel

Mutant Bat on Speed Force Fuzzy Barbarian's Avatar

Okay, this cracks me up.

I specifically remember someone at Marvel, I think Axel Alonso, saying that the All-News, and NOWs were NOT an annual thing. And yet...
    Favourite characters: Wally West, Dick Grayson, Cassandra Cain, Cyclops, Jay Garrick, Jamie Madrox, Stargirl, Bucky Barnes, Magik, Jon Kent, Kate Bishop, Booster Gold

Regular pulls:
    Adventureman, Cable, Fire Power, Green Lantern, Hellions, New Mutants, Thor, Vampire: The Masquerade, Venom, X-Factor, X-Men

Trade-waiting: Animosity, Black Panther, Captain America, Catwoman, Conan, Daredevil, DCeased, Detective Comics, Hawkman, Immortal Hulk, Redneck, Saga, Skyward, Snotgirl, X-Force

Hopefully an Invisible Woman solo is in this "All-New, All-Different Marvel".

I wonder if they will shake up all the teams, I also wonder how long this will last before the return to the status quo.

All I know is, Marvel is gonna tease so many characters fates for years going this route

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Yeah, I generally don't like time-skips. It's like cheating...

Quote Originally Posted by Bl00dwerK View Post
    Yeah, I generally don't like time-skips. It's like cheating...
    Not like they haven't been cheating already....

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

I don't see why comic book shops are such intimidating places. It's not like you have to answer trivia questions before entering or buying something.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Venomous Mask View Post
    I don't see why comic book shops are such intimidating places. It's not like you have to answer trivia questions before entering or buying something.
    The 90s ruined comic shops. They got this reputation for being bastions of fanboyism because folks with very little in the way of social grace were running them. They weren't all like that, of course, but that's what happens when anyone thinks they can run a business just because they have a bunch of longboxes in their basement.

Neil C.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    Following an "8 months later" tease earlier this week, Marvel is now promoting an "All-New, All-Different Marvel" coming this fall.

Full article here.

I'm just curious: do any non-powered people exist on Battleworld? Seems they've been forgotten about by Hickman.