Super Moderator

Default Axel-In-Charge: "Secret Wars" Jam Session Talking "A-Force," "Ultimate End" and More

With Axel Alonso away from the office, an all-star team of Marvel editors talk this week's crop of freshly launched "Secret Wars" companion series.

Full article here.

Extraordinary Member

This is no offense to Axel Alonso, but I would actually prefer it if this column used this format more often. Individual editors can speak more specifically to their individual books, and while they obviously can't (and shouldn't) say anything negative, they can say things that seem more candid. Alonso's responses sometimes sound a bit like press releases, but whenever there are guest editors doing the responses, I feel like we get more specific insight.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    This is no offense to Axel Alonso, but I would actually prefer it if this column used this format more often. Individual editors can speak more specifically to their individual books, and while they obviously can't (and shouldn't) say anything negative, they can say things that seem more candid. Alonso's responses sometimes sound a bit like press releases, but whenever there are guest editors doing the responses, I feel like we get more specific insight.
    MY GOODNESS YES. Agreed 1000x. I got to the part about S-Force and thought this was unusually funny/not sounding like a robot for Alonso and then discovered the individual editors were talking. Definitely a breath of fresh air, particularly after last weeks debacle which was basically "hey how great are you?" Followed by "no really tell me how great you are".

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    Wow i agree. I usually only skim the Alonso ones and only read the X-positions but as i was skimming this one i found myself going back and even getting interested in some of the books the editors were talking about. I was actually really surprised.

Storm Force!

BANNED

i really think it time for axel to go and he can take brevoort with him secret wars is a mess sure the first 2 issues were good but it still feels like a massive rip off of teh far superior age of acoplyse and even house of m with a large amount of game of thrones fanfic thrown in. I read all the secret war tie in books and they were ok but honestly you expect all these new series to go five issues, as a store owner i guarentee aftet two months my customers will be begging for the regular books to come back. I already have multiple customers asking where the new issues of deadpool and avengers are. this secret war event just feels very scattershot , I can tell you from good sources the main secret wars book is selling awesome and as expected some of the tie ins like old man logan are kicking ass but the rest of the books are not selling well preorder wise at all. I know axel under a lot pressure from the corporate overlords but the marvel line is a mess. look at the recent sales 3 books marvel has been pushing operation sin less that 10k deathlok less than 10 k and canned and inhumans ugh if you knew how many of my customers hate this inhuman push hell give me an x book with a c or d list cast and it still sells twice as much as inhuman i bet all the marvel editors thank god every night they have star wars license as that is the only marvel books that sell reguraly anymore

BANNED

Mr Ketchum, pls give us another Storm ongoing solo series please.

Self-Loathing Bendis Fan

Quote Originally Posted by bishop88 View Post
    i really think it time for axel to go and he can take brevoort with him
    I continue to believe that this is the plan, after they're done with the cash grab of all cash grabs : literally every good story in the Marvel U vs every good story in the Marvel U.

I can almost guarantee that once the new M.U. is set (after Secret Wars is over) current management will call it a run, and leave the burden of dealing with trying to top all of this to the next guys.

But where do you go once you've literally shot every load you had saved up in the entire history of the Marvel Universe, all in one single summer?

Like I said, I don't think these guys care. It'll be the next guy's problem.

Mighty Member

This thread got hilarious in a hurry.
    I write about the intersection of science, comics and culture. Check it out!

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by _underscore View Post
    I continue to believe that this is the plan, after they're done with the cash grab of all cash grabs : literally every good story in the Marvel U vs every good story in the Marvel U.

I can almost guarantee that once the new M.U. is set (after Secret Wars is over) current management will call it a run, and leave the burden of dealing with trying to top all of this to the next guys.

But where do you go once you've literally shot every load you had saved up in the entire history of the Marvel Universe, all in one single summer?

Like I said, I don't think these guys care. It'll be the next guy's problem.
    You go back to telling good stories with cool characters...?

Good article. Ultimate should've ended years ago. But I guess it's appropriate to use an event like Secret Wars to send it off. I'm still extremely confused by the timeframe for Ultimate End. How did Cyclops, Emma Frost, and a non-inverted Tony Stark end up in Ultimate? When is that going to be explained? I get that Secret Wars is a big, convoluted world. But a little guidance here would go a long ways.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

*Sigh* Axel has to bring up the awful Tarantino in that mix of HK / Martial arts cinema when talking about Shang Chi. No thanks. And Bond? Not really much outside of the pre Battleworld material. Jimmy Woo suits that label much better.

Okay, film rant off,

On the positive side, I'm glad to see Shang get some notice. I might not be a long time reader of his character, but I do enjoy this series. I hope MoKF spins off into an ongoing of some kind.

As long as they keep using Shang in ways that work for the character and the story, I'll continue to read.

And my goodness that Planet Hulk art, love Marc Laming. If that was not so expensive, I'd pull it despite not being a fan of the writer.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

Spectacular Member

I Have Graded ALL Of The "SECRET WARS" Related Books That I've Gotten So Far, SECRET WARS #1, SECRET WARS #2, A-FORCE #1, BATTLE WORLD #1, Have All Been Graded A+ (so far) But Not So Fast, Let's See What Else Is Yet Too Come That I Haven't Gotten My Hands On As Of Yet Ok! ((: (if I am not pleased I will say so indeed)

Astonishing Member

I really do hope that Marvel keeps some of these Secret Wars artists around for All-New All Different Marvel, because they're really turning in a lot of fantastic work with a wide variety of styles. It's exciting.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Ultimate End doesn't give a *** about continuity then? Bleeding Edge armour 616 Tony? Two life-raft people still there? Maybe Doom just stuck in the versions he liked.