Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Overrated:
    Hal Jordan
    Barbara Gordon

Underrated:
    Jericho (as a trueblue hero that is, not as Slade's craziest child)
    Wesley Dodds
    Dr. Mid-Nite

BANNED

Overrated:

Most of the "Big 7" JLAers.
    The Satellite Era League.

Underrated:

Too many to name.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Hawkman and Aquaman are definitely under appreciated. I also didn't like Johns' push in the New 52 because it felt forced. There was too much open acknowledgment that Aquaman was considered a joke that undermined the efforts to defeat that idea.

Superman and Batman are under and over rated when written badly, respectively.

most overrated hero in any comic ever = Superman .
    I feel DC just made him a God. could have stuck with strength and flight but heat vision (that vision has gotten more and more powerful it seems with each decade) , X ray vision (come on?) He is made to be unstoppable and most DC fans agree he is the top God yet a single sliver of good ol Kryptonite could bring him down. He is like a preacher with God like powers

most underrated in DC = Shazam,
    He Is equal to superman yet not as self righteous. Shazam is the quintessential superhero that all others should strive to be like. He has Gos like powers for sure but the innocence of Billy seems to keep them in check as well as the wisdom of Solomon. He is underrated. Since DC destroyed Fawcett Comics in a lawsuit in the late 40's/early 50's they have done NOTHING with him. DC knows he is equal to Superman in many ways but they chose to keep him down. Often they even made him more of a joke comic. a comic for kids like The Monster Society of evil (ridiculous).
    Shazam Vol 1 of the new 52 is amazing. its everything Shazam SHOULD be. Fans have made this comment a million times yet DC has not yet produced a stand alone series. WHY? because they dont want people to see he is just as powerful as Superman yet has more depth, and connection with people of today. A kid that turns into a superhero that was given the powers of the Gods by a Wizard is an amazing concept , rather then the typical "Alien come to protect earth".

But thats just my opinion, to each his own. Its all subjective really.
    Last edited by canuckdad; 05-23-2015 at 04:12 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Underrated:

Mister Miracle and Big Barda - Again, im a romantic. Plus the New Gods are cool in general, and these two make for good viewpoint characters into that world.
    I'd love to see Scott & Barda get the promotion they deserve.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
    Hawkman and Aquaman are definitely under appreciated. I also didn't like Johns' push in the New 52 because it felt forced. There was too much open acknowledgment that Aquaman was considered a joke that undermined the efforts to defeat that idea.

Superman and Batman are under and over rated when written badly, respectively.
    Even though I am enjoying the comments in this thread, I do feel the under & over rated for most these characters are due to uninspired writing.

3 pages and no mention of the most powerful person in DC..... Martian Manhunter he can do everything Superman can do and read your mind. Can't get more underated than that
    I have no beef with Vegans

Overrated:
    - John Stewart: To me, He never seemed as cool in comics as he was in the JL cartoon.
    - Legion of Superheroes: LAME.
    - Batman... only because every tv show (specially animated) has something to do with him... Thank god theyre making Arrow, Flash, Supergirl, etc.

Underrated:
    - JSA: Pieter Cross, Sandy Hawkins, Cyborg Hourman... those were COOL.
    - Rankorr

Overrated:
    Military stoic John Stewart. I much prefer the John Stewart from Mosaic who had a sense of humor. I hated how they brought the Marines background into the comics.

Underrated:
    Starling! Please bring her back.

Quote Originally Posted by upgrayedd View Post
    3 pages and no mention of the most powerful person in DC..... Martian Manhunter he can do everything Superman can do and read your mind. Can't get more underated than that
    I sorta mentioned him in JLI.

I also want to add the Creature Commandos to underrated.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by canuckdad View Post
    most overrated hero in any comic ever = Superman .
    I feel DC just made him a God. could have stuck with strength and flight but heat vision (that vision has gotten more and more powerful it seems with each decade) , X ray vision (come on?) He is made to be unstoppable and most DC fans agree he is the top God yet a single sliver of good ol Kryptonite could bring him down. He is like a preacher with God like powers

most underrated in DC = Shazam,
    He Is equal to superman yet not as self righteous. Shazam is the quintessential superhero that all others should strive to be like. He has Gos like powers for sure but the innocence of Billy seems to keep them in check as well as the wisdom of Solomon. He is underrated. Since DC destroyed Fawcett Comics in a lawsuit in the late 40's/early 50's they have done NOTHING with him. DC knows he is equal to Superman in many ways but they chose to keep him down. Often they even made him more of a joke comic. a comic for kids like The Monster Society of evil (ridiculous).
    Shazam Vol 1 of the new 52 is amazing. its everything Shazam SHOULD be. Fans have made this comment a million times yet DC has not yet produced a stand alone series. WHY? because they dont want people to see he is just as powerful as Superman yet has more depth, and connection with people of today. A kid that turns into a superhero that was given the powers of the Gods by a Wizard is an amazing concept , rather then the typical "Alien come to protect earth".

But thats just my opinion, to each his own. Its all subjective really.
    And others (who also like Billy quite a lot) would say Shazam is just as bad as superman with his lightning and magic wielding.

Quote Originally Posted by upgrayedd View Post
    Jonn is over powered,

Now if done right he isnt at all,jjust all around badass.

overrated DARKSEID

underrated Dr ANTON ARCANE

Overrated: The Joker

Underrated: Phantom Stranger, the Question, the Spectre, Power Company, Doom Patrol, Fire, Jade.

Overrated:

Hal Jordan - He just never appealed to me. I find Hal Jordan to be the most boring of the lanterns or any other character out there. I personally find John, Kyle and Guy more interesting than Hal. I try to like him as a character personally when I start reading comics, which Geoff Johns made epic GL story-lines. But he always have this overly cocky self-righteous attitude and reminds me one of those crazy conservative types. His personality has been inconsistent under different writers and I'm not even talking about the boring 2011 film. I think he's the most overrated character out of the bunch. So I agree with mostly everyone here.

Barry Allen - Although, I don't dislike Barry Allen. I can find him interesting at times, but it upsets me that it cost Wally as a character for Barry's return. I enjoy the Flash CW show, but it's just sad that they take Wally's elements and apply them to Barry. I did find Barry bland when Geoff Johns written him Pre-Flashpoint. Wally has been previously rated number 8 as the best comic book characters around on IGN, but all of this has been sacrificed for Barry's return.

Babara Gordon - She's another character I don't find that much appealing, but others do. I never cared for Gail Simone's writing on the Batgirl title. I enjoyed her as the Oracle in Birds of Prey and other titles. And I know lots of people will disagree with me, but I think her relationship with Dick is just plain overrated.

Batman - This is only because I don't think he's needed often to appeal to other fans of characters like Nightwing. I personally don't think Nightwing should associate with Bruce Wayne just to make Nightwing more interesting. I found Nightwing interesting when he found Bludhaven, because he became his own character. Even the Grayson series, Batman still makes an appearance.

Underrated:

Aqualad (Kaldur'ahm) - I thought the Aquawar was the best part of reading Brightest Day. It's rare to be heroes and have your father be a villain. He became a far interesting character. And watching him be a part of the main cast in the Young Justice show, I would have expect them to at least give him an appearance when the New 52 started. He more than deserves to make an appearance in Aquaman's title. And it bothers that he has yet to make a debut.

Cassandra Cain - It's rare to see Asian superheroes. Hopefully we'll see more of her. She more than deserves to make a return.
    Last edited by Sodam Yat; 05-23-2015 at 11:42 PM.

Fearless Defender

Barry Allen and Hal Jordan aren't bad characters(Barry Allen is a favourite of mine) but the fact that they're treated like the definitive article and basically the messiah in their respective franchises at the expense of all their successors is what annoys people, they both defined their respective superheroes when they were first created but characters like Kyle Rayner and Wally West have taken those ideas in different directions that shouldn't be ignored in favour of "Iconic" characters

Aquaman is always going to be underrated at least to a wider public despite being particularly awesome in both the New 52, and Injustice... he'll always viewed as something of a lame hero despite the fact he's anything but.