BANNED

Default Axel-in-Charge 22nd May - It's dead jim.

Mark, Axel Alonso said last week in this column that "Ultimate End," for anyone who may be skeptical, is viewed internally as the last Ultimate Universe story. As editor, what kind of responsibility is that for you -- wrapping 15 years of Marvel storytelling in one miniseries? And in that, doing justice to a section of Marvel that has obviously has a huge influence not only on the classic Marvel Universe, but many film and TV adaptations? (Obviously having Bendis and Bagley on board helps.)

Mark Paniccia: I consider myself one of the luckiest comic book editors in the world that Brian Bendis and Mark Bagley are the ones that are working on this, because it makes my job all the more easier and honestly, there's no one else who could be or should be attached to a project like this. These guys have been here from the beginning and they are here at the end to turn the lights off. And while we say goodbye to the Ultimate U for good, there's a feeling of great pride amongst all who've contributed to see so much of it inspire elements of the movies, TV shows, games and Marvel Proper.

"Ultimate End" is a story not only tied in to "Secret Wars," but stems from years of history in the Ultimate Universe. As editor, what kind of challenge is telling a story like that -- not only appealing to the hardcore fans that have been following these storylines, but also keeping things open and accessible in a story detailing such a distinct point in Marvel history?

Paniccia: Very challenging when it was first presented. And, to a degree, emotional. There've been many long nights of blood sweat and tears that have gone into this universe. We faced a lot of challenges as talent and story elements transitioned to mainline Marvel. I think there are a lot of people here who would agree that our biggest competition was ourselves. So once we knew it was going to be the end, I talked to Brian and we agreed that we would have as much fun with this as possible. We knew it would be as sad for the fans as it was for us to say goodbye but the thing about Brian is he never runs out of great ideas. He had an approach as to how to handle this story that would push a lot of buttons and tug a lot of heart strings. I think many readers will get a kick out of the character moments Brian explores and everyone will be blown away by Bagley's art.
    I really hope Ultimate Marvel continues, because #1 of Ultimate End was quite possibly worse than Cataclysm #1 in my honest opinion. If this is truly the last Ultimate Marvel story (who knows) I would have preferred either a Last Days type of deal or even better truly embrace the Ultimate Marvel side on Battleworld. #1 focused way too much on 616 characters and since continuity has been broken, you could have brought back Wolverine as Cable again! I guess thats why Old Man Logan is coming here lol. But just look at how a double page spread on Ultimate's last story is used on 616 characters talking to Thors. :*(

I could have sworn I read that Ultimte End was pretty much that kind of story. It was the only reason I picked it up. But my mistake. I am sure many things about Ultimate will show in what comes next.
    Formally known as Samorai_black

I agree DRZ this should be a last days book. I would rather see the last Ultimate book be about Ultimate characters instead of this weird book which mostly featured 616 characters.
    We need better comics