Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Electro - a personal favorite in PPTSSM #134 - 136, where Electro first learns how to use his power to beat Spider-man.

Shocker - The Len Wein story where Shocker blacks out the city in ASM. Somewhat silly (he writes his name in lights through a few city blocks) but a compelling read in a way that Bronze Age stories often are.

Chameleon - The JM DeMatteis story in his second Spectacular run is great, but for firsts I have to go with "Red Headed Stranger".

Jason Macendale Hobgoblin - McFarlane's Spider-man #6 and 7, where Macendale is a deformed religious freak that traps people in green goo.

Green Goblin - Hard to pick one. I'll narrow it down by stories since Norman's return, and go with "Revenge of the Green Goblin".

Stegron - Sensational Spider-Man Vol.2 issues 23-27 is a great arc that managed to have a d-list villain as threat without making a joke out it.
    Chameleon - Spectacular Spider-Man Vol.1 242-245 No writer ever came close writing Chameleon like J.M. DeMatteis did.

A Good Villains story I think would be...the American Son Story Line. Amazing Spider-Man 595-599. I know not necessarily D-List but good nonetheless.

Also During the Gauntlet Story-Line- Sandman (Keema's Castle) 615-616. Rhino- #625 and Lizard( Shed )- 630-633

Astonishing Member

There were posted already many great choices i still have a few more examples though.

.Sinister Six,ASM;334 to 339.

.Shocker,ASM 578 and 579.

All-New, All-Different Mighty Roman's Avatar

Here are some good stories for B and C list villains:
    The Kravinoffs-Grim Hunt
    Scourge (of the Underworld)-Justice is served
    Hobgoblin-The Original Hobgoblin Saga
    Kingpin/The Rose-Gang War
    Mysterio-The Gauntlet: Mysterioso or I love a Mystery
    Morlun-Coming Home
    Kaine-Hunting the Hunter: An untold tale of Kraven the Hunter
    Vulture- Can't remember the name of this one. It was a Vulture story set during Big Time in of which the Vulture leads a gang of teenage gang members who commit crimes for him.
    Currently Reading in Single Issues/Trades:
    Marvel:Hulk (NOW), Ant-Man (NOW), Avengers: Time Runs Out,
    DC:Earth 2, Superman: Earth One, The Flash,
    Titan: Doctor Who: The Tenth Doctor, Doctor Who: Four Doctors,
    Upcoming:
    Secret Wars: Planet Hulk, The Last Days of Ant-Man, House of M,
    Marvel:Totally Awesome Hulk, Astonishing Ant-Man, Carnage,
    DC:Earth 2: Society,
    Titan:Doctor Who: The Tenth Doctor Year 2, Doctor Who: The Eighth Doctor,
    Co-Editor of CBR's Age of Marvel Amazing Line

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Roger Stern's various Vulture stories where the best Vulture stories I think I've read. Stern in general was great with the villains he used.

Good thread! Tough to pick some of these but here goes:

RHINO---ASM # 617, 625--Joe Kelly's emotional two-parter just narrowly edges out "Flowers for Rhino" though I recommend reading both if you haven't.

GREEN GOBLIN--Nothing can top ASM #39-40 for me.

VULTURE--ASM #240-241; Roger Stern wrote the best Vulture, hands down. You can throw in his origin story from ASM #224 to make this complete.

KRAVEN---Kraven's Last Hunt....duh

DOC OCK--Probably the toughest to pick on this list. ASM #698-700 is certainly a contender but then again an argument could be made for ASM #88-90 which has, IMHO, the best illustrated Ock/Spidey fight scenes ever.

CHAMELEON---Another tough one! Web #51-52 is very underrated but JMD's arc in PP:SSM #242-245 is pretty great also. Throw in Mark Waid's "Red Headed Stranger" from ASM #601-603 for a tough 3-way race.

MYSTERIO---Nostalgia wins out for me here; gotta go with ASM #66-67 in large part for JR SR's awesome covers and interiors!

VENOM---Lots will pick his debut but I disagree; gotta go with his even better return story from ASM #315-317.

ELECTRO--JMD's "Light The Night" from Spider-Man #38-40. No contest.

SCORPION---His early Ditko appearances were by far his best and when he was a legitimate threat; his second appearance from ASM #29 is his shining moment.

HOBGOBLIN--I could cheat and just say every Stern story from his debut in ASM #238 straight through ASM #251---and so I will.

SANDMAN---Another villain who peaked during the Ditko days; will go with ASM #18-19, a great arc that I recently reread (again) and it gets better every time!

LIZARD---ASM #76-77; yes, "Shed" was a daring and well-told story but I gotta go old-school here.

KINGPIN---I really, really love "Back In Black" from ASM #539-543 if for no other reason than the beatdown that Pete gives old Willie! That aside, I guess his debut from ASM #50-52 is pretty great.

Those are most of the classic rogues that I can think of off the top of my head; again, great idea for a thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    Kraven was Last Hunt, clearly.

Norman Osborn's Goblin has a lot of great stories as the focus but I do love when he finally learnt Peter's secret and revealed himself in ASM #39-40.
    And don't forget

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    Good thread! Tough to pick some of these but here goes:

RHINO---ASM # 617, 625--Joe Kelly's emotional two-parter just narrowly edges out "Flowers for Rhino" though I recommend reading both if you haven't.

GREEN GOBLIN--Nothing can top ASM #39-40 for me.

VULTURE--ASM #240-241; Roger Stern wrote the best Vulture, hands down. You can throw in his origin story from ASM #224 to make this complete.

KRAVEN---Kraven's Last Hunt....duh

DOC OCK--Probably the toughest to pick on this list. ASM #698-700 is certainly a contender but then again an argument could be made for ASM #88-90 which has, IMHO, the best illustrated Ock/Spidey fight scenes ever.

CHAMELEON---Another tough one! Web #51-52 is very underrated but JMD's arc in PP:SSM #242-245 is pretty great also. Throw in Mark Waid's "Red Headed Stranger" from ASM #601-603 for a tough 3-way race.

MYSTERIO---Nostalgia wins out for me here; gotta go with ASM #66-67 in large part for JR SR's awesome covers and interiors!

VENOM---Lots will pick his debut but I disagree; gotta go with his even better return story from ASM #315-317.

ELECTRO--JMD's "Light The Night" from Spider-Man #38-40. No contest.

SCORPION---His early Ditko appearances were by far his best and when he was a legitimate threat; his second appearance from ASM #29 is his shining moment.

HOBGOBLIN--I could cheat and just say every Stern story from his debut in ASM #238 straight through ASM #251---and so I will.

SANDMAN---Another villain who peaked during the Ditko days; will go with ASM #18-19, a great arc that I recently reread (again) and it gets better every time!

LIZARD---ASM #76-77; yes, "Shed" was a daring and well-told story but I gotta go old-school here.

KINGPIN---I really, really love "Back In Black" from ASM #539-543 if for no other reason than the beatdown that Pete gives old Willie! That aside, I guess his debut from ASM #50-52 is pretty great.

Those are most of the classic rogues that I can think of off the top of my head; again, great idea for a thread!
    Great choices! I actually agree with a lot of them, although one small correction that the Vulture's origin is actually in ASM #240-241, so now your choice is even more justified. Great two-parter from Stern/Romita Jr.

A few of my own suggestions in addition...

Green Goblin/Norman Osborn - Ellis/Deodato Jr.'s Thunderbolts #110-121. Osborn slow descent into madness across this year's worth of issues was excellently portrayed, culminating in the wonderful explosion of insanity that was the Green Goblin unleashed. His design never looked better under Deodato, and frankly he's never been scarier or funnier.

Sandman - ASM $615-616, "Keemia's Castle". An utterly compelling fairy tale with a bitter, classic Spider-Man ending. Even when he wins, he loses. Sandman's tweener persona is on full display here, with a very inventive use of his powers. Excellent storytelling by Van Lente and Javier Pulido, with special shoutouts to the great winter outfit Pulido draws Spidey in.

Mysterio - ASM #66-67 is a great choice, but I also want to give a shoutout to ASM #618-620, "Mysteriso". Mysterio can't take Spidey in a fight, one punch to the fishbowl its over. Its all about misdirections, and this story has some of his most elaborate plans. A great mix of humor, drama, and even a fun sub-plot for Carlie and her fake father, with superb storytelling from the team supreme of Dan Slott, Marcos Martin, and Javier Pulido.

Doc Ock - Superior Spider-Man is a great choice, and oldschool is absolutely right that the Captain Stacey story is visually the best Ock/Spidey confrontation thanks to Gil Kane's inventive choreography and body language, but I always say Spectacular Spider-Man #78-79, "The Final Goodbye/The Final Battle" is the best Ock story. In the Ock/Owl Gang War conclusion, Octavius brutally hurt Black Cat, causing an enraged Spider-Man to RIP HIS DAMN METAL ARMS OFF! Now its really personal, as an angry, embarrassed Doc Ock repairs himself and comes back to finish the job on Felicia in the hospital. Lot of good drama here, as Peter wonders just how far his romantic feelings go towards Felicia, who's a thief, and the fact that this might be the final time he sees his loved ones before this last encounter with his greatest foe. Spider-Man beats him so definitely though, Ock grows a fear of spiders and is sent to a mental institution! That really should have been the last fight between those two, and nothing until Superior Spider-Man has really justified bringing him back.

Shocker - I always loved the Shocker despite his C-level villiany, so imagine my surprise when he's the main foil/tool of drama in the great "Unscheduled Stop" ASM #578-579. He's mostly just a tool for the plot here, but his vibration powers make sense to the context of an earthquake, and Marcos makes him look great.

Incredible Member Master Planner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ViewtifulJC View Post
    G
    Doc Ock - Superior Spider-Man is a great choice, and oldschool is absolutely right that the Captain Stacey story is visually the best Ock/Spidey confrontation thanks to Gil Kane's inventive choreography and body language, but I always say Spectacular Spider-Man #78-79, "The Final Goodbye/The Final Battle" is the best Ock story. In the Ock/Owl Gang War conclusion, Octavius brutally hurt Black Cat, causing an enraged Spider-Man to RIP HIS DAMN METAL ARMS OFF! Now its really personal, as an angry, embarrassed Doc Ock repairs himself and comes back to finish the job on Felicia in the hospital. Lot of good drama here, as Peter wonders just how far his romantic feelings go towards Felicia, who's a thief, and the fact that this might be the final time he sees his loved ones before this last encounter with his greatest foe. Spider-Man beats him so definitely though, Ock grows a fear of spiders and is sent to a mental institution! That really should have been the last fight between those two, and nothing until Superior Spider-Man has really justified bringing him back.
    Although i agree that Spectacular Spider-Man #73-76 and #78-79 are the best Dr Octopus appearences,i feel that Return of the Sinister Six was an equally great story for Ock.Not only Ock assembles the old gang after a loooooooong time,but he sponsors a great and cool visuals,along with a cool and bossy attitude.The guy in this story is truly "The Master Planner".
    " I am Loki Scar-Lip, Loki Skywalker, Loki Giant's Child, Loki Lie-Smith. I am Loki, who is fire and wit and hate. I am Loki. And I will be under an obligation to no one."

Previously known as Nefarius

Quote Originally Posted by Master Planner View Post
    Although i agree that Spectacular Spider-Man #73-76 and #78-79 are the best Dr Octopus appearances
    These stories have not been collected in color in tpb, right?

(Not a fan of the Essentials volumes, if the story was originally in color, I will only own it in tpb in color)
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 02-04-2015 at 09:36 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    These stories have not been collected in color in tpb, right?

(Not a fan of the Essentials volumes, if the story was originally in color, I will only own it in tpb in color)
    Sure hasn't. That's a great classic TPB waiting to happen, the Ock/Owl wars. They referenced it in Superior Spider-Man not too long ago, so its not like its completely forgotten.

Great choices! I actually agree with a lot of them, although one small correction that the Vulture's origin is actually in ASM #240-241, so now your choice is even more justified. Great two-parter from Stern/Romita Jr.

A few of my own suggestions in addition...

Green Goblin/Norman Osborn - Ellis/Deodato Jr.'s Thunderbolts #110-121. Osborn slow descent into madness across this year's worth of issues was excellently portrayed, culminating in the wonderful explosion of insanity that was the Green Goblin unleashed. His design never looked better under Deodato, and frankly he's never been scarier or funnier.

Sandman - ASM $615-616, "Keemia's Castle". An utterly compelling fairy tale with a bitter, classic Spider-Man ending. Even when he wins, he loses. Sandman's tweener persona is on full display here, with a very inventive use of his powers. Excellent storytelling by Van Lente and Javier Pulido, with special shoutouts to the great winter outfit Pulido draws Spidey in.

Mysterio - ASM #66-67 is a great choice, but I also want to give a shoutout to ASM #618-620, "Mysteriso". Mysterio can't take Spidey in a fight, one punch to the fishbowl its over. Its all about misdirections, and this story has some of his most elaborate plans. A great mix of humor, drama, and even a fun sub-plot for Carlie and her fake father, with superb storytelling from the team supreme of Dan Slott, Marcos Martin, and Javier Pulido.

Shocker - I always loved the Shocker despite his C-level villiany, so imagine my surprise when he's the main foil/tool of drama in the great "Unscheduled Stop" ASM #578-579. He's mostly just a tool for the plot here, but his vibration powers make sense to the context of an earthquake, and Marcos makes him look great.
    Thanks, man; right on about the Vulture origin being in the latter story. Also, I totally agree with you about the portrayal of GG/Norman in T-Bolts! Lots of folks love "Keemia's Castle" but, despite the great use of Sandman's powers there, it just doesn't grab me the way it does others. I absolutely love the Owl/Ock war but always felt that Milgrom's art was a bit too bright and fun for the serious battles in it; but a great tale nonetheless. Great pick on Shocker; he doesn't have many highlights and "Unscheduled Stop" is likely his zenith!

Sure hasn't. That's a great classic TPB waiting to happen, the Ock/Owl wars. They referenced it in Superior Spider-Man not too long ago, so its not like its completely forgotten.
    Thanks. I just posed Mr Lowe a question on this!

Marvel is so good at not failing to tpb classics, so I'm a bit surprised.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    VULTURE--ASM #240-241

KRAVEN---Kraven's Last Hunt

ELECTRO--"Light The Night" from Spider-Man #38-40.

HOBGOBLIN--ASM #238 straight through ASM #251

KINGPIN---ASM #539-543
    Green Goblin/Norman Osborn - Ellis/Deodato Jr.'s Thunderbolts #110-121

Mysterio - ASM #618-620, "Mysteriso".
    Those, plus:

* RHINO--SMTW #5-6, "Flowers for Rhino"
    * DOC OCK--ASM #484-486
    * CHAMELEON--Ultimate Comics Spider-Man v1 #12-13, I wanted to keep it earth-616, but this is miles ahead of any contender.
    * VENOM--MKSM #5-8, "Venomous".
    * SANDMAN--PPSM #56-57, "Reborn".
    * LIZARD--ASM #688-691, "No Turning Back".
    * Shocker--SFOSM #1-6, 8-9, 12-17, which is just as true for Boomerang.
    * Bettle--PPSSM #58-60.