Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Will "Truth" make Greg Pak THE Superman writer of this generation?

I think this could be a make or break arc for the guy and his legacy could sink or swim with it.

Pretty convincing argument: http://heroicuniverse.com/upcoming-p...eaders-in-awe/

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

A story that begins with a powerless Superman boo-hooing over a ripped blanky, dressing that way, getting stabbed in the back by one of his closest friends, and riding a motorcycle because letting him have his superpowers is somehow "uncool?"

Sure as Hell won't make him MY Superman writer. Tell you that right now.
    Last edited by Joe Acro; 05-24-2015 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Offensive
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

If he sticks around for another two years, he'll be the Superman writer of this generation by default. I'm okay with that.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of San Jose View Post
    I think this could be a make or break arc for the guy and his legacy could sink or swim with it.

Pretty convincing argument: http://heroicuniverse.com/upcoming-p...eaders-in-awe/
    Not in my mind, not anymore.

Pak's pretty much hit or miss with me now, and has been since Doomed.

Just my opinion, but had that crossover not happened and he'd been able to follow up on the concepts he himself introduced, such as Baka, the Subterranea, the Ghost Soldier and Harrow, which is not to say he won't at some point in the future, I might be more inclined to agree with the idea that he's this generation's Superman writer. Instead, we have this Truth storyline, which, while a different story altogether, is still too thematically derivative of Morrison's AC run for me to be excited about it.

Look, I enjoyed the hell out of t shirt and jeans Superman, but I'm a big proponent of going forward, not backwards. And that's what I'm feeling from everything I've read of Truth so far.

Superman doesn't need deconstruction, he needs consistency.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Will J. View Post
    Superman doesn't need deconstruction, he needs consistency.
    right on point.

I even liked some Pak stories, but it never was a "wow this is so good I want more". I really don't see him as this superman writer generation

Did something happen to Grant Morrison? I'm pretty sure he's this generation's greatest Superman writer. That is, if we're going to use such a broad phrase like "this generation's greatest Superman writer".

A whole generation? That's quite a bit too far right now. I'd say this is the definitive run of the New 52 era though. Collaboratively in writing and artwork, his and Kuder's run trumps Morrison and Rags now.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Spectacular Member Hopeful Hero's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    A whole generation? That's quite a bit too far right now. I'd say this is the definitive run of the New 52 era though. Collaboratively in writing and artwork, his and Kuder's run trumps Morrison and Rags now.
    Can't argue that. I enjoyed Morrison's run on action and loved it but I'm especially enjoying the creative forces of Pak and Kuder all the same. So far they have been dishing out story arcs that have yet to disappoint. And now with this new arc with "Truth" I'm looking forward to it even more can't wait.
    "So as I pray, Unlimited Pak Works!"

I'd say Morrison's run was better, but Pak will enter his third year on Action, as well as Batman/Superman, so by sheer volume he's the Superman writer for the New 52/DC You (that name is terrible) era.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    I'd say Morrison's run was better, but Pak will enter his third year on Action, as well as Batman/Superman, so by sheer volume he's the Superman writer for the New 52/DC You (that name is terrible) era.
    well new 52 is leveled below, so it is not a big deal for me

I think it'd be pretty much impossible to trump Morrison's contributions to the character, from JLA to 1 Million to All-Star to Action, but if anyone was going to do it, it'd be Pak (or Al Ewing, but he's not at DC).

If TRUTH turns out to be as good as many of us are hoping it will be....who knows? It might finally smooth out some of the kinks in the mythos that have needed attention for decades. But it's going to take a lot more than two-three years of quality stories before Pak can claim that mantle from Morrison.

I remain optimistic however, that given time, Pak might do it. And I sincerely hope he at least tries and puts in many years of quality work with Superman. Even now, he's easily on the list of "best modern day Superman writers". Put a really well done deconstruction and reconstruction under his belt.....
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Grant Morrison is pretty much my definitive SUPERMAN writer, so no.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Grant Morrison is pretty much my definitive SUPERMAN writer, so no.

I feel like Pak can at least work with the Morrison blueprint which so many seem resistant to embrace.

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    I feel like Pak can at least work with the Morrison blueprint which so many seem resistant to embrace.
    That's the story of Morrison's contributions to any franchise. He does his thing, right afterward every one ignores it,until in time people realize his ideas were actually good and start using them again.
    Works for Superman, Batman, X Men.....
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

What has been followed up in X-Men?

As for generations? Hard to compare against whole Morrison's work on Superman, but if we were speaking only about post-Flashpoint? Yeah, I'd agree then.