Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Default How would you promote Superman?

A lot of discussion has been floated around lately about Superman's standing in the eyes of the public. If you were in charge of promoting Superman, what would you do? First thing I'd do is have a Superman cartoon made. Most likely based on the New52 version. I know Cartoon Network hasn't exactly been the most cooperative in terms of DC cartoons but maybe we could work something out. The bad press from the cancellation of Young Justice and Beware the Batman might make them a little more amiable these days. I would also like to reboot the movies though that might be a harder sell. If not, then maybe a live action TV show that has a more traditional Superman in it. Use some villains besides Lex and Zod for a change. CW would be the first choice but CBS might be a little more cooperative since they already have Supergirl. Plenty of Crossover potential there.

Put out more action figures like Batman has. Of each different version from movies and TV shows. Maybe a more kid friendly line. Some kids comics that are $.99 each. Sell them in grocery stores. Maybe at checkout counters. Work with comic shops to set up a kids section. A Superman Lego game (though at this point, the Batman games may as well be DC games considering how many characters they put in them).

Anyone else have any other ideas?

Incredible Member

A Telltale Superman video game, or a DC Universe game. A DC Universe cartoon.

Superman Ice Cream Bars. Superman flavored Ice Cream.

Incredible Member

A) Comics - Restore Superman, in all ways - including Super costume, red shorts, optimistic personality, and at least a "steady" relationship with Lois Lane.

B) "Super Powers" - kids-demographed (think "Super Friends") Superman figure line - wave 1 - Superman, Supergirl w/ Streaky, Superboy w/ Krypto, Steel, Lex Luthor, Bizarro Superman No.1

C) Superman cartoon - based on "Super Powers" kids' toy line

D) A new "Christopher Reeves" styled, w. John Williams music, Superman movie, WITHOUT the surprise love child. Villain, how about, Brainiac?

E) Movie action figure line - priced about $6.00 or so each - meaning action figure TOYS, not specialty figures - mass-sold from Wal-Marts, to Toys R' Uses, to even grocery stores.

F) Continue the merchandise - continue the stationery, continue the backpacks, continue the clothing

G) SUPERMAN MACARONI AND CHEESE!
    Last edited by ngroove; 05-22-2015 at 09:32 PM.

Retired

DC missed the boat decades ago when they didn't come to a common understanding with Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster. DC may have believed they were on solid legal ground, but in fighting for a point of law, they lost all the good will they would have gained by having the creators of Superman as their chief PR agents.

Look at all the mlieage that Marvel gains by having Stan Lee as their pitchman.

One of the greatest comic book movies is waiting to be made and that's the story of Siegel and Shuster. I've floated the idea before. The Siegel and Shuster families could probably do this movie without DC's blessing, but it would be so much better with DC fully participating. Unfortunately the story has a muted ending--thanks to DC's pennywise and pound foolish attitude.

With the right screenplay, director and actors--the Men of Tomorrow movie could be Oscar bait. What better way to establish the preeminence of Superman as an American classic.
    Last edited by Jim Kelly; 05-22-2015 at 09:32 PM.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    DC missed the boat decades ago when they didn't come to a common understanding with Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster. DC may have believed they were on solid legal ground, but in fighting for a point of law, they lost all the good will they would have gained by having the creators of Superman as their chief PR agents.

Look at all the mlieage that Marvel gains by having Stan Lee as their pitchman.

One of the greatest comic book movies is waiting to be made and that's the story of Siegel and Shuster. I've floated the idea before. The Siegel and Shuster families could probably do this movie without DC's blessing, but it would be so much better with DC fully participating. Unfortunately the story has a muted ending--thanks to DC's pennywise and pound foolish attitude.

With the right screenplay, director and actors--the Men of Tomorrow movie could be Oscar bait. What better way to establish the preeminence of Superman as an American classic.
    I've long felt that a Siegel & Shuster film could be brilliant, as well. I would think it'd be fine without DC since it would really paint them in the best of lights towards the end.

Wasn't Brad Metzler trying to get something like this off the ground when he was trying to save their old home? I would think a major studio would jump at the chance to tell the story of Superman's two dads.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

SUPERMAN needs a cartoon. I would love to see a SUPERMAN cartoon in the prime time slot. Something more mature, not graphic but just well put together and intelligent. Hell, make it a period piece if you don't want to tie it totally to the Man of Steel Universe. Set it in the 30s. Or, start adapting NEW 52 stories in animation on prime time. Let Superman's cast reflect the comics. Advertise the comics during commercial breaks.

More merch is needed. Put Superman on t shirts, on kid's clothes. Supergirl and Superman on girl's and women's clothes. More toys for all age groups. Get a video game going. Superman Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream. Superman cereal (like the one we had when SUPERMAN RETURNS came out). Get a Saturday morning Superman Family cartoon going for the younger crowd. Krypto, Kara, Kal, Mxy, all that.

Get a NEW 52 style Superman toy line going so the characters reflect the books. Embrace all eras in marketing. Old school Superman, New Superman, film Superman, all of it. Put KRYPTO reruns on.

More Lois Lane, lots more Lois Lane.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 05-23-2015 at 12:11 AM.

All-New Member

I remember fondly when IGN said Superman was the best comic book in the stands. This was Geoff Johns and Gary Frank Action comics run.

You Know I can only think there are more people like OP superduperman who really want that Silver Age Superman to run amok again. But It's basically like hoping for Hulkamania to come back. They sell Generic Superman S symbols everywhere. Theres bootleg Superman toys in the Dollar General. How much more saturated do you want Superman to be?

Man of Steel came out, Superman Vs. Batman is coming out. He's been in Injustice , DC Lego Games. There was glorious 10 years of Smallville ( Didn't watch it )

I think Now is the perfect time to let other DC heroes Shine , and let the momentum of the success of other Heroes build for the imminent return of DC's most pivotal character.
    Last edited by AstroWolfboy; 05-23-2015 at 08:46 AM.

BANNED

Why are the guys above basically just suggesting Silver Age stuff, and bringing back the stupid shorts?

Video game and cartoon. Seriously why doesn't he have a cartoon yet?

BANNED

Superman Family Adventures cartoon NOW

They need to embrace all versions of superman,and promote the right ones to the right ppl,like injustice superman and the Christopher reeves versions are not going to be sold to the same folks(unless you are just a all around Superman fan like me).

Oh and superman is out there,just not the right way.his S is generic and the toys are "usually" generic or bad.not to mention he needs more cross era promotion,not one era promoted at a time.

Retired

People may think the STM is generic, but I'm pretty sure it's a protected trademarkTM. Which means if those T-shirts aren't trademarkedTM DC Comics, then they're breaking the law.

Astonishing Member

First, I'm not sure I'd want to promote Superman. He's my favorite character, but it seems like everytime DC tries to put Superman in the limelight he gets reworked into some other character. I can just picture Superman in front of focus groups. We start out with the Superman from 2011 walking in, going through a dozen "tweaks" to appeal to audiences, then coming out at the end wearing a Batman costume. So for me I'd rather not promote the character unless we get something close to the classic. I'd be open to some reworking but at the end there would have to be a character recognizable as Superman by anyone who was a fan from 1938-2011 (New 52/MOS is recent enough that I'm not sure there is a definitive Superman to use as a guage).

But assuming I did try to market him, the first move would be to get some good Superman cartoons out. They'd have to be Superman-centric. No Batgod. I'd prefer no Batman at all just to avoid dealing with the whole Batman Vs Superman crap (not the movie, the whole post-1986 rivalry). If you have Batman (or any other JLAer) appear it'd have to be done in a way that lets Superman shine without trashing the other hero(es). Adapt classic Superman tales from 1938 on for these cartoons. Not just new-52 storylines but take the Morrison approach where stuff from 1938 is reworked as early Superman career set "a few years ago" So the cartoons could show the best stuff from his 75 yr + history but with a modern feel.

Second have DC re-issue some of those stories. Say a $5- $10 non-direct trade designed for Barnes & Noble/Amazon sale or even digital download that contained a new story and a reprint.

Have a September "Superman" month where each DC title has a story where Superman interacts with the main characters.

BANNED

That's not what I meant as generic,I meant it as just the S all by itself with a different color or lil design behind or around it.

I like the idea of a September superman month