Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Retired

Quote Originally Posted by stephens2177 View Post
    That's not what I meant as generic,I meant it as just the S all by itself with a different color or lil design behind or around it.
    It wasn't just you, it was also AstroWolfboy who used the "generic" term in reference to the S symbol. So I just wanted to make the point that generic trademark is a thing in law.

To quote Wikipedia:

A generic trademark, also known as a genericized trademark or proprietary eponym, is a trademark or brand name that has become the generic name for, or synonymous with, a general class of product or service, usually against the intentions of the trademark's holder.

A trademark is said to become genericized when it began as a distinctive product identifier but has changed in meaning to become generic. A trademark typically becomes "genericized" when the products or services with which it is associated have acquired substantial market dominance or mind share such that the primary meaning of the genericized trademark becomes the product or service itself rather than an indication of source for the product or service. A trademark thus popularized has its legal protection at risk in some countries such as the United States and United Kingdom, as its intellectual property rights in the trademark may be lost and competitors enabled to use the genericized trademark to describe their similar products, unless the owner of an affected trademark works sufficiently to correct and prevent such broad use.
    This is a real problem for Superman and DC has to always be on guard that the elements of Superman don't become so common in use that they can no longer be defended as trademark. At that point Superman becomes useless to DC and might as well be in the public domain. Some fans might prefer that--since it would put their fan fiction on the same level as all the Superman stories DC has published--but it would mean that DC would have no interest in publishing any more Superman comics, because they couldn't make money off them.

Fantastic Member

If I were in charge of Superman....

Well, the first rule I'd have is to stop apologizing for the character. Stop catering to those cynical fanboys who think Superman is boring, especially since most of those fans have and probably never will pick up a Superman comic book. Stop hiring talent that don't really have a grasp on the character, putting them on short term runs that do nothing for the brand long term. Superman is a character that needs big ideas and big imagination. It's not about bringing Superman down in skill set, its about having epic villains and ideological theats that match Superman's larger than life nature.

My main initiative would be to take the character back to his roots, and impose this characterization across all media. Essentially, a modernized refined version of the original Superman: the champion of the oppressed who clearly didn't take anyone's crap. The Superman who fought for the little guy, not the government. I'd also bring back an actual sense of duality between Superman and Clark Kent. Superman wouldn't be something Clark did, Superman would be Clark/Kal El's truest self.

In terms of romance, I wouldn't go back to the classic Clark/Lois thing. I'd want to actually explore Clark's relationships with different kinds of women. I definitely wouldn't have Superman and Wonder Woman in a relationship.

Ideally, I'd put either Grant Morrison, Mark Waid, or Mark Millar on the main Superman book. Superman needs a visionary creator who is willing to work on him long term. Between "Superman" and "Action Comics", one book would be more pre crisis flavored, and the other would be more like post crisis. An "Adventures of Superman" comic would be the imaginary stories title, where creators can come in for an arc and do whatever type of Superman story they want. The "Supergirl" book would get the same kind of revamp the "Batgirl" title recently had.

I definitely agree with others: Superman needs another cartoon. One more ambitious in its portrayal of Superman than STAS was.

As for films, I would hire someone like Brad Bird or even JJ Abrams to work on the franchise. The movies shouldn't be light hearted, but they shouldn't be grim either. This is the most important area for Superman, as Superhero movies are the primary medium of comics for the general audience.

Another important medium is video games. The Arkham series has boosted Batman's popularity in a big way. A great Superman video game would go a long way in improving the characters popularity among the younger general audience.

Astonishing Member

My Superman would be like the Superman voiced by Tim Daley in Tas and /or as written by John Byrne.
    Last edited by Photon Torme; 05-26-2015 at 12:59 PM.

BANNED

...........I have found my soul mate.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

Hercules in strength, genius in intellect, farmer, super scientist, evolved man, and boy next door. I think stop apologizing for the character is rule number one. Tales of Superman cartoon would work for me. A Siegel Shuster movie has to happen. I'd rather see that than the Kavalier and Clay movie once floating around. DC and Warner's will look like jerks.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

There's not much more I would add. I will echo the sentent that he needs a new animated series , one that encompasses the mythos. I also think Superman comics should be as ubiquitous as the Archie digests, so that's where a more " classic" interpretations of Superman can find a home, both old material and new material. The DC you Superman can remain in the "regular" floppies.

I too would love to see a Siegel and Shuster movie, but I don't see Warners/DC being involved directly as it wouldn't cast them in the best light, and to use the superman iconography, whomever that would make such a movie would need WB's clearance.

BANNED

He needs a reboot and as a result he lands in 1938 and he is superman and maybe superboy decades and decades that way we can use all his old suits and old stories,have 1 kal and one superman,one that has lived through different era's as his powers grew.

Then maKe a cartoon about it

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    SUPERMAN needs a cartoon. I would love to see a SUPERMAN cartoon in the prime time slot. Something more mature, not graphic but just well put together and intelligent. Hell, make it a period piece if you don't want to tie it totally to the Man of Steel Universe. Set it in the 30s. Or, start adapting NEW 52 stories in animation on prime time. Let Superman's cast reflect the comics. Advertise the comics during commercial breaks.

More merch is needed. Put Superman on t shirts, on kid's clothes. Supergirl and Superman on girl's and women's clothes. More toys for all age groups. Get a video game going. Superman Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream. Superman cereal (like the one we had when SUPERMAN RETURNS came out). Get a Saturday morning Superman Family cartoon going for the younger crowd. Krypto, Kara, Kal, Mxy, all that.

Get a NEW 52 style Superman toy line going so the characters reflect the books. Embrace all eras in marketing. Old school Superman, New Superman, film Superman, all of it. Put KRYPTO reruns on.

More Lois Lane, lots more Lois Lane.
    good suggestions. I really liked the lois lane one...

the biggest problem of a cartoon is where it will air, Marvel uses Disney channels as a way to air their cartoons. Cartoon network hasn't been colaborating with DC comics.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

A cartoon won't do it all, but I think books, movies,documentaries, TV? They seek to be hitting lots of arenas already. How w about a return to Max Fleisher style shirts before WB movies. Instead of a preview, a Superman cartoon. DC Comics Presents!

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    A cartoon won't do it all, but I think books, movies,documentaries, TV? They seek to be hitting lots of arenas already. How w about a return to Max Fleisher style shirts before WB movies. Instead of a preview, a Superman cartoon. DC Comics Presents!
    This.

Heck, make little viginettes set within the DCCU to further flesh things out between films. Have Cavill voice Superman.

Right now I'm watching Fred Claus (2007) With Vince Vaughn, Paul Giamatti and Kevin Spacey.
    It is about the life of Santa Claus older brother Fred and how he feels left aside by his younger brothers iconic status.

SPOILERS

Well there's a really touching scene in which Kevin Spacey's (of all people lol) character who is embittered because as a child Santa Claus never brought him a gift is confronted by Santa. Santa apologises and gives him the long lost christmas gift: A genuine Superman cape.

I think that's a clever way to promote the character across media.

I think over the last few years DC has taken some steps in the right direction. They've certainly fumbled a few things more than a few times, but we've seen more material over the last few years than we were.

I think one of the core demographics Superman misses out with is the teenagers. Kids love the simple wish fulfillment and power of Superman, adults love the nuance and grace, but teenagers dont get it; they want someone a little more reckless, a little more brash, a little less wise (much like teenagers themselves). So a video game, perhaps done along the lines of Skyrim, could do wonders, especially if it focused on the "champion of the people" type story lines and plots as well as fighting big huge sci-fi threats. If a video game could capture the struggles of Superman's life as well as the limitless potential, I think it would appeal to a lot of teenagers.

Some live action digital shorts, perhaps akin to the short films Marvel makes for dvd bonus features, featuring the Golden Age/t-shirt and jeans version of the character wouldn't go amiss. Everyone loves a rebel, especially in this day and age, so Superman taking that mantle back is critical.

A new cartoon aimed at kids would be great. Personally, I'd like something with a tone along the lines of Young Justice, but the real target would be younger kids under the age of ten-to-twelve, so what I would like isnt important. A good, well made toy line would have to accompany it of course, as well as perhaps a toy-to-life video game along the lines of Skylanders and Disney Infinity. WB is making a Lego version, which will feature Superman, but Im thinking like an entire playset, or expansion, or whatever they'll call large additions to the game.

A blog featuring the articles of Clark Kent would be lots of fun, and maybe a Super-App, that could do any number of things from play the Williams score when you start running, to offering funny/inspirational/weird quotes, to a library of old issues. Then you just keep on keeping on with Man of Steel, and you've got adults, teens, and kids covered.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    good suggestions. I really liked the lois lane one...

the biggest problem of a cartoon is where it will air, Marvel uses Disney channels as a way to air their cartoons. Cartoon network hasn't been colaborating with DC comics.
    Thanks!

I'd wager the CW wouldn't be a bad spot for a prime time animated series. It's animated so they wouldn't have to worry about CW's overly weak budgets, and it could survive a lot longer than it would on CN.