All-New Member

Default Opening a Comic book store

Hi everyone,

First timer here and i need some advice, I have unfortunately recently been made redundant and instead of going back to work for some one i wish to turn my love of comics and collectibles in to a business, I've already found a premises and a name but i am having trouble with comic book suppliers.

I have emailed DC,Marvel,Imagine ,IDW and no one has done me the courtesy of emailing me back, so question is Where in the UK can i find a comic book supplier also does any one now where i can find suppliers for collectible cards such as Pokemon Might and magic yugioh etc.

Any help with this would be very very much appreciated.

Many Thanks.

Azel.

I'm certainly no expert on the subject, but wouldn't it be a good idea to turn to places that already do what you are planning to do and ask them about where to turn for supplier distribution? There are a few independent comic book stores in London, at the very least. Good luck!
    As of now:
    All-Star Batman, Batman, Doom Patrol, The Flash, The Fix, The Flintstones, Green Valley, Hadrian's Wall, The Hellblazer, Moonshine, New Super-Man, Suicide Squad, Superman, 'Tec, Unfollow

All-New Member

I have contacted a few stores and they have so far all been reluctant to tell me, some I guess just don't want the competition.

Here you go:

http://www.diamondcomics.com/Home/1/1/3/103

you likely want the "contact" tab. .

(under the Retailer section -- which you will be one of (a Retailer), it notes they service the United Kingdom)
    A sandwich is a sandwich, but a Manwich is a meal

"Evil people can do some non-evil things, and most of them do. That doesn't mean they aren't evil." -- JeffereyWKramer

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ll...yo5eo1_400.gif

Yeah I don't think you can get comics direct from the company anymore. You have to go through diamond. Not sure about getting supplies like bags, boards, boxes and deviders in the uk. Everyshop I have gone to in the midwest has used southern hobby

Incredible Member

Diamond are the guys you need to talk to about supplies. Also, whoever owns your comic store, talk to them about the realities of it. If you have a decent relationship, they shouldn't be too wierd about it. Have you ever worked in a comic store (or any store) before? The comic store I use has been open a decent amount of time now, but I know that it's a slog getting though, and the owner had worked in comic stores for a couple of years before opening up his own.

Spectacular Member

Hey, best of luck for your new business.
    Keeps us updated about new store.
    What are you going to name it?
    Kudos to Maureen O'Connell of Scholastic for getting us the Harry Potter series.

Im not sure how it works in the UK, but in the US anyway I believe Diamond is really the only choice for mainstream comics distribution, some indie publishers will sell directly to you but it might be a big hassle. I believe stuff like collectables and card games are cheaper from other wholesalers outside of Diamond. I dont remember any names but someone has suggested some good places on this board in the past if you did a quick search.