Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Default All-New X-men Appreciation Thread

image.jpg

I really like this title and the team as a whole, and I especially enjoy them interacting with the modern Marvel Universe and the other X-men of today. It's been a pretty great story so far, but I've noticed one thing that bugs me since they been here, they don't have an Appreciation Thread. Characters and teams that X-fans don't like have an appreciation thread and they don't(I'm not saying any specifics on these threads as I refuse to start an argument). With all that in mind let's talk about out favorite original five X-men plus Kitty Pryde and X-23 and their crazy modern day adventures.

Miles Morales: temporary visitor or Cyke stand in?

BANNED

TBH, someone needs to rescue Laura from this book. Her chemistry with Teen!Scott was interesting, but otherwise she's being so wasted in this title that Bendis has decided to start making jokes about how little point she has on the team. And this while being badly written with an even poorer excuse to justify how badly she's being written.

She'd be much better off in Adjectiveless (which would let her interact with her NXM friends again), or to be given back to Kyost on Amazing.

It would be nice if they gave a reason for Laura to stay there since at this point she doesn't really have one, although signs indicate that reason is going to be named "Warren".

I'll bite. I appreciate the O5... even if they are time displaced. And Iceman is Iceman. I have my issues with the book, but I love the characters involved.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ariwl1 View Post
    It would be nice if they gave a reason for Laura to stay there since at this point she doesn't really have one, although signs indicate that reason is going to be named "Warren".
    Well, it's A reason, even if it's not a GOOD reason. And if it's the ONLY reason she's sticking around in the book, then it's definitely a reason to get her OUT. Bendis getting his jollies passing her around the O5 while making meta jokes at her expense isn't doing any justice to her character whatsoever.

BANNED

I like Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan and the series has been fun, but the power of the gimmick is waning fast.

I'd much prefer the present-day versions of Jean, Angel, Bobby and Beast.

I'm excited that Angel and Iceman seem to be focal points for the next couple issues but on the whole it's starting to lose steam for me. I'm a fan of the O5 and like that they have a book but so far it feels like nothing has gone on but some tweaked Phoenix stuff.

It also upset me that almost all the young/old relationships were touched on except for Psylocke/Teen Angel.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Egg View Post
    I like Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan and the series has been fun, but the power of the gimmick is waning fast.

I'd much prefer the present-day versions of Jean, Angel, Bobby and Beast.
    A part of me is hoping the Will and Testament of Xavier will force the present day O5 to reunite for a little bit. Part of me.

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    A part of me is hoping the Will and Testament of Xavier will force the present day O5 to reunite for a little bit. Part of me.
    That would involved raising the older Jean Grey from the dead... although maybe bringing back an older version of Jean that isn't evil or crazy to meet the younger Jean might be a good thing.

I love any series which has Kitty Pryde as a main character.
    Life Finds A Way
    God Loves Man Kills
    What Is Thy Bidding My Master
    Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken
    Till All Are One

I love this team though I honestly don't see the appeal in Bendis pairing Angel and X-23. It just feels so mismatched. X-23 is their Wolverine and Angel is just so bland in that day and age. Hell if rather read about the Cyc/Jean/X-23 love triangle than that.

You know, on this X-23/Angel thing I honestly don't think that Bendis is going for a relationship. I could be wrong, but a solicitation said that she takes an odd interest in him, but that doesn't entirely mean she forms a relationship with him does it? What if she just suspects him of something or is keeping a close eye on him post brotherhood attack? That's just my opinion.
    Last edited by sifighter; 05-24-2014 at 10:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    That would involved raising the older Jean Grey from the dead... although maybe bringing back an older version of Jean that isn't evil or crazy to meet the younger Jean might be a good thing.
    Well yea lol. I meant the living ones. Like something is discovered where they all go, "You know what.. we need to do this together."

ANXM is my favorite x-book at the moment, though it comes with a Jean bias.
    The premise of a younger self confronting the future is rather intriguing, and the way it could change you as a result. Though any main plot stuff has been frustrating at times and slow moving, the general character interactions and core content have been strong. It strikes me as something that will be viewed even better in the long run when restrictions like money or time waiting aren't as significant of obstacles.

The problem is that the same premise takes a lot of weight out of the series. Enjoyable as it is, it suffers from the "alternate/spinoff" feel to it. Material is more weighty and compelling when you feel significance behind it. Its also a bit of a double edged sword as it can be fun to explore this, but it also makes you miss the originals.