Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    I have to disagree. He should be called Captain America like every other person who took up the mantle. He's not representing the falcon population of America.
    Well someone needs to

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    Well someone needs to
    Well, Redwing can.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    Well, Redwing can.
    Redwings dead

Quote Originally Posted by William300 View Post
    Redwings dead
    Undead, actually. The arc ended with Redwing seemingly alive, but with glowing red eyes, which suggests he's probably a vampire now.

As for Captain Falcon, that's the nickname I've been using for him, because that's the nickname I see used for him.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Well, he's a Thor now, so Captain Thor might work?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by TickTock View Post
    I've been calling him Captain Falcon since it was announced. Just like with Buckycap. I never got that Falcap stuff.
    It never caught on, but knowing that Bucky was always called "Buckycap" I anticipated people would call Falcon "Blackcap."

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    I have to disagree. He should be called Captain America like every other person who took up the mantle. He's not representing the falcon population of America.
    I'm quite fond of the Falcon title tho.
    And since the wings are still apart of his costume, I think there should be acknowledgement.

Wings of Freedom!!
    aka(s). o-bunⓐi-o // ⓓcembⓘrth

Sorry for any misspellings or grammar mistakes

Last edited by Crazed T'Challa x Emma x Namor shipper; Yesterday at 00:00 UM.

BANNED

I like Falcap, rolls off the tongue easier. Instead though, why not just call him "Captain America" for the short time he has left in the suit? Then again, I did refer to Bucky as Bucky-Cap the entire time he was Cap.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Well, he's a Thor now, so Captain Thor might work?
    Wait, where is he a Thor?

That's what I call him...

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    Maybe there should be a specialized thread for arguing about what to call legacy heroes who take up another, established character's title.

Personally I have no problem using names like "FalCap," "Lady Thor," "Captain Carol" and so forth to distinguish the current title holder from the other characters who held the title. But in-universe, if someone takes over the Captain America job, he's Captain America.
    Carol Danvers will be Captain Marvel forever more. It is her new identity. Once she's in a movie with that name, it is cemented. She isn't a legacy character, she is that character. Everyone else (save Shazam) will have to be distinguished from her.

Falcon A......A is for America
    I have no beef with Vegans

Quote Originally Posted by whiterabbit View Post
    This name would be the best of both worlds and people refusing to call him "Captain America" will find some middle ground.
    I really don't understand why anyone would refuse to call him Captain America. Legacy heroes are a part of superhero comics, and Sam is just the latest of several Captain Americas. What point is there in not acknowledging the fact that, for the time being at least, Sam is Cap? Sure, that will most likely change at some point in the next few years but until Marvel decides that this story has run its course, and returns to the status quo, all the wailing and gnashing of teeth in the world seems petulant. At best.

I get wanting a simple shorthand to distinguish Sam from Steve in conversation, if there are people who simply refuse to call Sam Captain America...that is not a good look.

Quote Originally Posted by whiterabbit View Post
    It never caught on, but knowing that Bucky was always called "Buckycap" I anticipated people would call Falcon "Blackcap."
    Seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    Carol Danvers will be Captain Marvel forever more. It is her new identity. Once she's in a movie with that name, it is cemented. She isn't a legacy character, she is that character. Everyone else (save Shazam) will have to be distinguished from her.
    What's wrong with acknowledging that Carol is a legacy? I agree with you that she will probably be the Marvel character most closely associated with the name going forward, but that doesn't change the fact that she's no where near the first character to be called Captain Marvel, and most of them have all been associated with Mar-Vell.

However, even if Carol becomes the default Captain Marvel, there's still just as much chance that she will pass on the name -- at least for a little while -- as Captain America, or Iron Man, or Thor, and continue that legacy. Personally, I'd like to see Hulkling get a chance, if for no other reason than that Hulkling is a straight-up terrible name, and he really has no connection to the Hulk.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by PiercedMonk View Post
    I really don't understand why anyone would refuse to call him Captain America. Legacy heroes are a part of superhero comics, and Sam is just the latest of several Captain Americas. What point is there in not acknowledging the fact that, for the time being at least, Sam is Cap?
    You're seeing it upside down.

The issue isn't that the Falcon is the newest Captain America. A lot of people have been Captain Americas over time (that guy who became USA Agent, Bucky, Steve Rogers and so on). So one more person assuming the identity isn't the issue.

The thing is, Falcon isn't just Captain America - he was, and arguably is, the Falcon. It would be a shame if a well established hero were to lose his identity completely just to assume another one, and that's exactly what's happening here. To make it worse, the Falcon is still using parts of his old identity (the wings), but his new identity doesn't even ackowledges that.

The USA Agente guy and Bucky didn't have solid hero identities before becoming Captain America. In the case of Kid Flash, for example, becoming Flash made sense - it's a continuation of the same identity, not something new. The issue with Captain Falcon is the same as if Superman became a Green Lantern, still had a uniform that looked like his current one, but everyone called him only "Green Lantern".

The identity of the Falcon shouldn't be just erased like that. Acknowledging it with the name - "Captain Falcon" - would show how the hero we have now is a combination of the new and the old, not only someone losing his identity to embrace someone else's.

BANNED

As long maintains his identity as a "hero"; that's more important than whatever codename or mantle he goes by.

Characters change, it's a part of life & narrative fiction. Sam is still Falcon in the MCU but he's getting his turn as Captain America in the comics right now.