Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Teste View Post
    You're seeing it upside down.

The issue isn't that the Falcon is the newest Captain America. A lot of people have been Captain Americas over time (that guy who became USA Agent, Bucky, Steve Rogers and so on). So one more person assuming the identity isn't the issue.

The thing is, Falcon isn't just Captain America - he was, and arguably is, the Falcon. It would be a shame if a well established hero were to lose his identity completely just to assume another one, and that's exactly what's happening here. To make it worse, the Falcon is still using parts of his old identity (the wings), but his new identity doesn't even ackowledges that.

The USA Agente guy and Bucky didn't have solid hero identities before becoming Captain America. In the case of Kid Flash, for example, becoming Flash made sense - it's a continuation of the same identity, not something new. The issue with Captain Falcon is the same as if Superman became a Green Lantern, still had a uniform that looked like his current one, but everyone called him only "Green Lantern".

The identity of the Falcon shouldn't be just erased like that. Acknowledging it with the name - "Captain Falcon" - would show how the hero we have now is a combination of the new and the old, not only someone losing his identity to embrace someone else's.
    Sam isn't losing his identity. His fighting as Captain America with his beliefs. He's not representing Steve Rogers.

BANNED

Ultimately it doesn't matter, he won't be Captain America forever, Steve will be back in uniform eventually, Bucky showed that. Also, this isn't even the first time that Sam has taken up the Captain America mantle, nor is it the first time that Steve has been aged into an old man. This story was already told decades ago, it's just being rehashed and stretched, Steve will take the mantle back eventually.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    Carol Danvers will be Captain Marvel forever more. It is her new identity. Once she's in a movie with that name, it is cemented. She isn't a legacy character, she is that character. Everyone else (save Shazam) will have to be distinguished from her.
    Carol is absolutely a legacy character. She might be holding onto the name in a very permanent, earned way, but she is absolutely not the original. She's a legacy. Shoot, I think she's like the 5th Captain Marvel.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TickTock View Post
    Carol is absolutely a legacy character. She might be holding onto the name in a very permanent, earned way, but she is absolutely not the original. She's a legacy. Shoot, I think she's like the 5th Captain Marvel.
    She's the 7th Captain Marvel actually. I'm happy the change is sticking. I wish Bucky was still Captain America, in my eyes he earned that identity as much as Carol earned being Captain Marvel.

I'm fine with Falcon being Captain America for now.

Realisitcally, it won't last. Steve Rogers IS Captain America. No disrespect to US Agent, Bucky, Falcon, or anyone else but they're just keeping Steve's seat warm for him for now.

Falcon being Cap is a story, and hopefully it helps Sam's stock to rise. But eventually Steve will be Cap again, and it really won't matter one bit whether they call him Captain Falcon or Captain America. It'll be moot.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I'm fine with Falcon being Captain America for now.

Realisitcally, it won't last. Steve Rogers IS Captain America. No disrespect to US Agent, Bucky, Falcon, or anyone else but they're just keeping Steve's seat warm for him for now.

Falcon being Cap is a story, and hopefully it helps Sam's stock to rise. But eventually Steve will be Cap again, and it really won't matter one bit whether they call him Captain Falcon or Captain America. It'll be moot.
    It's not even a new story, Steve being aged and Sam taking over was done years ago. There just rehashing and stretching it out. I actually really wish Bucky was still Captain America, he earned the mantle, and his taking it felt more organic that Falcon taking it.

Quote Originally Posted by William300 View Post
    It's not even a new story, Steve being aged and Sam taking over was done years ago. There just rehashing and stretching it out. I actually really wish Bucky was still Captain America, he earned the mantle, and his taking it felt more organic that Falcon taking it.
    If anyone were to REALLY take over Steve's mantle it probably would be Bucky.

But again, there's no way Steve permanently won't be Captain America. It's like replacing Bruce Wayne with Dick Grayson. It's not gonna happen.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    If anyone were to REALLY take over Steve's mantle it probably would be Bucky.

But again, there's no way Steve permanently won't be Captain America. It's like replacing Bruce Wayne with Dick Grayson. It's not gonna happen.
    Funny thing is Sam's been partners with Steve longer than Bucky. He deserves a chance as much as Bucky. You're right, we know we know that Sam won't be Captain America for long so he deserves the respect of being called Captain America while he wears the colors and carries the shield.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    If someone changes the name, then i demand this....................................

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Can he do this?

Then he can't be Captain Falcon!
    I've been saying this for years.

Falcon Punch!

I call him FalconCap. Captain Falcon sounds like the Green Beret in GI Joe finally got his overdue promotion from Lt.
    I surrender to the Contest

BANNED

FalconCap seems be the fan name

Like SpOck for Superior Spider-Man, BuckyCap for Bucky Barnes' tenure as in the red, white and blue, and the unfortunate "DickBats" for Dick Grayson's tour under the cowl during Morrison's run.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ViewtifulJC View Post
    FalconCap seems be the fan name

Like SpOck for Superior Spider-Man, BuckyCap for Bucky Barnes' tenure as in the red, white and blue, and the unfortunate "DickBats" for Dick Grayson's tour under the cowl during Morrison's run.
    I've never heard DickBats! I am dying right now!

Quote Originally Posted by Teste View Post
    You're seeing it upside down.

The issue isn't that the Falcon is the newest Captain America. A lot of people have been Captain Americas over time (that guy who became USA Agent, Bucky, Steve Rogers and so on). So one more person assuming the identity isn't the issue.

The thing is, Falcon isn't just Captain America - he was, and arguably is, the Falcon. It would be a shame if a well established hero were to lose his identity completely just to assume another one, and that's exactly what's happening here. To make it worse, the Falcon is still using parts of his old identity (the wings), but his new identity doesn't even ackowledges that.

The USA Agente guy and Bucky didn't have solid hero identities before becoming Captain America. In the case of Kid Flash, for example, becoming Flash made sense - it's a continuation of the same identity, not something new. The issue with Captain Falcon is the same as if Superman became a Green Lantern, still had a uniform that looked like his current one, but everyone called him only "Green Lantern".

The identity of the Falcon shouldn't be just erased like that. Acknowledging it with the name - "Captain Falcon" - would show how the hero we have now is a combination of the new and the old, not only someone losing his identity to embrace someone else's.
    Does it bother you when other heroes adopt a new code name as well? Are you still chaffing at the fact that Kitty Pryde no longer goes by Sprite, or that Vance Astrovik ditched Marvel Boy in favour of Justice?

While I can only speculate at the reasons, I imagine that if Sam suddenly decided he prefers to be called Raptor or Blue Eagle, there would be far less strum and drang than there has been with his becoming Captain America.

Sam's personality hasn't been over-written by the Captain America moniker. He's still Sam Wilson in all the ways that matter, he's just now carrying the mantle of a friend and partner who is -- for the time being -- incapable of doing so.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    Wait, where is he a Thor?

In Secret Wars, Sam is one of the Thors.

SamThor.jpg
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 05-24-2015 at 12:20 PM.