Page 38 of 91 FirstFirst ... 283435363738394041424888 ... LastLast

It is downright absurd to think that Falcon isn't a talented h2h combatant. The earliest stories featuring the Falcon show him being trained personally by Steve Rogers. Falcon has received extensive hand to hand training since he started his career as a superhero. He's not as good as Steve, but he's still good enough that he was a SHIELD agent and regularly sparred with Steve and Bucky.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper Cole View Post
    Then why were you buying Captain America comics in the first place? Cap comics have consistently delved into politics for decades. Hell even the last Captain America movie delved into a current political issues.

No writer has had a lengthy run on Captain America without touching on politics at some point or another. It's been handled in MUCH more heavy handed ways than this latest issue, and some of those stories are considered "classics".
    I was wondering the same thing but didn't want to stir the pot....

But now that it is on the table be curious to see why another poster would come into an Appreciation Thread just to say they are not going to buy the characters book?
    It is downright absurd to think that Falcon isn't a talented h2h combatant. The earliest stories featuring the Falcon show him being trained personally by Steve Rogers. Falcon has received extensive hand to hand training since he started his career as a superhero. He's not as good as Steve, but he's still good enough that he was a SHIELD agent and regularly sparred with Steve and Bucky.
    This.

The whole notion that he has to be approved by certain fans to count as skilled H2H fighter is absurd to say the least. There are few characters that I can list some wouldn't even bat an eye at as being H2H fighters when they themselves have fought less and/or equal threats as Sam.
    Last edited by Trident; 10-16-2015 at 10:07 PM.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Good teachers can make great students, great teachers can make good students; skill level is an individual thing. Sam is probably at a modest level compared to say, Daredevil or Elektra.

When Bucky became the Winter Soldier, Brubaker and others had him lay out Crossbones in one shot, beat the Black Widow, stand toe to toe against Wolverine, etc. He was flat out said to be utterly deadly in close combat.

At least as far as I know, the most significant writers to handle Sam were Kirby and Priest. Spencer has a chance to work his way atop the (somewhat short) list, but he tends to take a pretty human approach. I'm not sure if we'll see Sam solidified as an ultra capable martial artist, even if he is an extremely capable hero.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Yeah, I think what he lacks in terms of physical stats and hand to hand skill at least in comparrison to Steve he makes up for in other areas. He can be overall just as effective (in some ways more effective) ... he just does things in a different way because he's got a different power set.

There are plenty of occasions he's done things Steve couldn't do. Obviously when you can fly, it leaves you with options non-flyers don't have. Even his ability to talk to birds was put into play.
    I see where you're coming from though X. I know Sam can get things done, but I want to know just purely throwing fists where does he stack up against guys like Hawkeye and Winter Soldier (He's got to be on their level at least but I'm curious as to has it been shown)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by marvelprince View Post
    I see where you're coming from though X. I know Sam can get things done, but I want to know just purely throwing fists where does he stack up against guys like Hawkeye and Winter Soldier (He's got to be on their level at least but I'm curious as to has it been shown)
    He beat Hawkeye once so I would say that he is......

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Yeah, I would put him in the not dedicated but good pack with Storm and Hawkeye, but maybe at the top since he gets by without offensive weapons.

I'll be glad if Sam continues to rise, but doesn't get turned into an elite worldbeater. That's so '90s.

Quote Originally Posted by marvelprince View Post
    He's thrown down with Clint before so he's as good or better (I'd say the latter). Winter soldier might be a different story though.

But either way I think seeing him in pure hand to hand combat settings against some established fighters more often I think would be cool. Fingers crossed for an on panel rematch with Crossbones.

People are underestimating Sam due to Marvel writers not giving him venture stories unless Steve was draggin' him around.
    aka(s). o-bunⓐi-o // ⓓcembⓘrth

Sorry for any misspellings or grammar mistakes

Last edited by Crazed T'Challa x Emma x Namor shipper; Yesterday at 00:00 UM.

Another great issue of Cap. The people complaining about how this book was too hard on "conservatives" (scare quotes because as stated in the issue the SoS are not a mainstream group) should like this issue which blows the whole sheme open and introduces additional players. Also we get the entirety of what drove the rift between Sam and Steve. It's topical, it's relatable, and it's an argument that people on both ends of the spectrum have discussed within their own ideological spheres.

Great issue. 4/5

Also; I really like how this was structured as a mini arc. Two issues in and you get a status quo, a full adventure, and a hook that propels the narrative forward. That's good classic style story telling.
    Last edited by KOSLOX; 10-28-2015 at 07:24 AM.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

I really dug the second issue. Glad I gave this series a chance.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Quote Originally Posted by Spear of Bashenga View Post
    Another great issue of Cap. The people complaining about how this book was too hard on "conservatives" (scare quotes because as stated in the issue the SoS are not a mainstream group) should like this issue which blows the whole sheme open and introduces additional players. Also we get the entirety of what drove the rift between Sam and Steve. It's topical, it's relatable, and it's an argument that people on both ends of the spectrum have discussed within their own ideological spheres.

Great issue. 4/5

Also; I really like how this was structured as a mini arc. Two issues in and you get a status quo, a full adventure, and a hook that propels the narrative forward. That's good classic style story telling.
    ^this

I like the Whisperer. Wonder if it'll be the new Falcon? It's definitely a good choice, using cyber security as the thing to force friends apart, and something that highlights the difference in generations between the Captains America well.

Upon reading it, I'm happy they gave Steve a reasonable opinion in his rift with Sam (honestly I agree with him).

Kind of feel bad the Zemo/Hydra stuff was swept under the rug the way it was... but it's fair. It was someone else's story.

Astonishing Member

Did Cap #2 come out?

I didnt see it at my store.

Just read the issue as well. Nice twists and turns here. Steve wasn't thrown under the bus as some posters thought but the dialogue he had with Sam about accountability sticks with me the most. Steve believes the country will do the right thing while Sam hopes (not doesn't believe, hopes) that it will. There's a subtle yet huge difference in meaning there. Perhaps it's a comment on those who believe in the system and those who think it is flawed? I'll leave the other posters to comment on that. Still Sam, did you have to have the birds poop on Steve though?

As for the rest of the story, I dug it. Again it showed Sam's underdog nature. He doesn't have access to SHIELD resources but he can talk to birds. He tried to help Armadillo but came up short. Also Sam got some sass from Misty. He's just trying his best. We can all relate.

And that last scene with everyone on the plane arguing, well, I found it very interesting since it's quite reflective of politics (and I dare say the the past threads we've had about Sam in the last 2 weeks).

In any case great issue. Let's watch out for Cap Wolf next time!
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Just read the issue as well. Nice twists and turns here. Steve wasn't thrown under the bus as some posters thought but the dialogue he had with Sam about accountability sticks with me the most. Steve believes the country will do the right thing while Sam hopes (not doesn't believe, hopes) that it will. There's a subtle yet huge difference in meaning there. Perhaps it's a comment on those who believe in the system and those who think it is flawed? I'll leave the other posters to comment on that. Still Sam, did you have to have the birds poop on Steve though?

As for the rest of the story, I dug it. Again it showed Sam's underdog nature. He doesn't have access to SHIELD resources but he can talk to birds. He tried to help Armadillo but came up short. Also Sam got some sass from Misty. He's just trying his best. We can all relate.

And that last scene with everyone on the plane arguing, well, I found it very interesting since it's quite reflective of politics (and I dare say the the past threads we've had about Sam in the last 2 weeks).

In any case great issue. Let's watch out for Cap Wolf next time!
    Yeah... the birds pooping on Steve though funny and practical as a sort of diversion was kind of disrespectful. But Sam AGAIN is showing the versatily the power of communicating with birds truelly has in more ways than one.

I do think the difference between Sam and Steve was actually small enough to the point where in this specific case something maybe could have been worked out though. Hell, if Whisper is good enough at what he does the goverment would more likely put him to work than allow him to sit in a jail cell.