Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Do I need to read the New 52 first?

Hello everyone.

I recently bought Batman, Catwoman, Batgirl And Detective Comics Vol.1 from the New 52

I also subscribed to the ongoing comics that start during June also for the titles mentioned above.
    Do I need to read all the New 52 Volumes before moving on to the new post 52 issues?

Please help me out. I think it's too late to read all the volumes for those books, and I'm sure it'll be expensive as well. Is it okay if I just read the June post New 52 issues?

Thanks
    Last edited by AAXL98; 05-26-2015 at 01:25 PM.

Always Rakzo

Not all of them.

Batman is pretty much necessary to get where Snyder/Capullo's run comes from. Catwoman's early stories are not important (especially Noncenti's run). Batgirl... I guess you could check some of the early issues to know more about the characters but they're not required (and the current run is much, much better in every way possible). Detective Comics suffers the same problems as Catwoman.

Incredible Member

You don't "need" to read them - only you can "want", if you want that is, the ones you'll enjoy.

A) Go to wherever's local enough, comicbookstore / bookstore in your area.

B) Take just a moment to actually flip, look, read, just a bit of the books of your "thinking about" decision, first. The story? the dialogue? The art? The action? The moods? The characterizations of the characters you like?

C) If you want, buy the ones you know for sure you'll enjoy, return to shelf the ones you don't.
    Last edited by ngroove; 05-26-2015 at 01:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Not all of them.

Batman is pretty much necessary to get where Snyder/Capullo's run comes from. Catwoman's early stories are not important (especially Noncenti's run). Batgirl... I guess you could check some of the early issues to know more about the characters but they're not required (and the current run is much, much better in every way possible). Detective Comics suffers the same problems as Catwoman.
    Thank you so much for the information! Very helpful, But one thing you said caught my attention.

What do you mean the "Current" Batgirl run is much better? You mean it already started?

I thought all the ongoing titles continue during June?

Quote Originally Posted by ngroove View Post
    You don't "need" to read them - only you can "want", if you want that is, the ones you'll enjoy.

A) Go to wherever's local enough, comicbookstore / bookstore in your area.

B) Take just a moment to actually flip, look, read, just a bit of the books of your "thinking about" decision, first. The story? the dialogue? The art? The action? The moods? The characterizations of the characters you like?

C) If you want, buy the ones you know for sure you'll enjoy, return to shelf the ones you don't.
    Yeah here's the problem buddy, there are 0 Comics stores in my country so I can't flip through random things that look interesting.

There are many comics that seem interesting to me, but I hate reading something when I don't know the full story and history of the characters, it seems quite pointless to me.

I appreciate your reply tho.

https://www.comixology.com/search/it...pe=newreleases
    https://www.comixology.com/Divergenc...nRBZGRpdGlvbnM

If you just want to jump in on the June comics, Comixology has free original 8-page previews for most of them. Some of them recap previous events, some set up the new status quos, and some just offer a snapshot of what to expect.

BANNED

It's hard to say until we get a better look at the post Convergence world. Read Snyder's Batman for sure. You may wan't to read the main Justice League book to.

Quote Originally Posted by joybeans View Post

If you just want to jump in on the June comics, Comixology has free original 8-page previews for most of them. Some of them recap previous events, some set up the new status quos, and some just offer a snapshot of what to expect.
    Wow that helped a lot, thank you so much.

From the looks of it Rakzo is right, I won't really need to read The New 52 Volumes for Catwoman or Detective Comics.

Thanks for the previews!

Quote Originally Posted by William300 View Post
    It's hard to say until we get a better look at the post Convergence world. Read Snyder's Batman for sure. You may wan't to read the main Justice League book to.
    I'm not really interested in Superman, Wonder Woman or the other characters and I'd prefer sticking to one specific Character/Characters from the same verse. But thanks for your suggestion.

I think I should be alright with reading the post New 52 comics, on YouTube it was mentioned that the new series would be new-reader friendly so that's good.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Not all of them.

Is this the Post New 52 Batgirl http://www.dccomics.com/graphic-nove...rl-of-burnside

Edit: Nevermind, I checked on Wikipedia, The Post New 52 Batgirl starts during June from Issue #41.
    Last edited by AAXL98; 05-26-2015 at 01:59 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AhmedAliGHZ View Post
    Thank you so much for the information! Very helpful, But one thing you said caught my attention.

What do you mean the "Current" Batgirl run is much better? You mean it already started?

I thought all the ongoing titles continue during June?
    Well, it looks like Batgirl 41 in June has the same creative team that is in place before Convergence, so in that sense it's the same run, even if it starts a new arc and refects a new status quo in some ways. The same is pretty much true for for a lot of runs, including Batman, Justice League and Wonder Woman.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AhmedAliGHZ View Post
    Yeah here's the problem buddy, there are 0 Comics stores in my country so I can't flip through random things that look interesting.

There are many comics that seem interesting to me, but I hate reading something when I don't know the full story and history of the characters, it seems quite pointless to me.

I appreciate your reply tho.
    Amazon often has preview pages. If that helps. There are also online previews elsewhere, but I use a Kindle for American comics, so that's my go-to while I'm in China. CBR presents previews of comics regularly, many of them batbooks or other DC comics.

There is no comic you "need" to read, though. ngroove really is giving you the best advice, you just don't have to limit it to physical shops, since you can clearly get online.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    Amazon often has preview pages. If that helps. There are also online previews elsewhere, but I use a Kindle for American comics, so that's my go-to while I'm in China. CBR presents previews of comics regularly, many of them batbooks or other DC comics.

There is no comic you "need" to read, though. ngroove really is giving you the best advice, you just don't have to limit it to physical shops, since you can clearly get online.
    Oh yeah I forgot about the Amazon preview pages, thanks haha!

Shipping to my country is extremely expensive, costs $50 most of the time but I'll try your method.

Vertigo Psychonaut ChaoticScholar's Avatar

I just got through Death of the Family. I liked it, and it helps that it's not setting you up to by some other title. Very well contained to its own thing.
    "People look at us and see the poor and the mad, but they’re looking at us through the bar of their cages.

There’s a palace in your head, boy.

Learn to live in it always. " -- Grant Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by joybeans View Post

If I only have New 52 Volume's 1 of Batman, Batgirl and Detective Comics, would it make sense to read them If I'm not going to read the other volumes? Or is it a complete waste of time? Because I plan on subscribing to the Post New 52 Monthly Issues.