Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default XM Studios Cancels X-Men, Fantastic Four Products

XM Studios Premium Collectibles announced that they have been asked to halt production on all X-Men and Fantastic Four figures.

Full article here.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Well, there's also the vintage Secret Wars T-shirts sans X-Men and FF characters according to other sources… but I did think figures would be unaffected. However, the studio did say it's not necessarily a permanent stoppage (we hope).
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I know Marvel is going to give the whole, "All is calm" type statement, but this is somewhat distressing. I'm usually of the understanding that where there's smoke, there's fire. It's becoming increasingly obvious that Marvel does not want to promote X-men and Fantastic Four anymore. And I can't see how the movie rights aren't affecting this. I know they'll never admit to denigrating their own product, but actions speak louder than words. And the actions in this case are pretty darn loud.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

BANNED

That'd be a nice diorama, too. Damn.

I am curious, if - instead of Marvel being the one that's going out to stop their products to spite Fox - Fox actually has the merchandising rights and is stopping Marvel's previous licensees (or having Marvel do it) to prevent competitive merchandise from coming onto the market (as opposed to the film's merchandise). In other words, why would I (Fox) let Marvel make money off of our movies when we can put out merchandise exclusively connected to our films. So if you want something Fantastic Four related, you're getting the Fox Fantastic Four rather than the comics Fantastic Four.

I don't know. To me that makes much more sense than Marvel stopping the merchandising of characters to spite a film studio that's going to make the movies anyway. Especially when Marvel is including the Fantastic Four and X-Men in their linewide event.

BANNED

And there's still going to be X-Men comics after SW. Fantastic Four also. May be that the merchandise doesn't reflect the future status quo of both properties.

Quote Originally Posted by robreedwrites View Post
    I am curious, if - instead of Marvel being the one that's going out to stop their products to spite Fox - Fox actually has the merchandising rights and is stopping Marvel's previous licensees (or having Marvel do it) to prevent competitive merchandise from coming onto the market (as opposed to the film's merchandise). In other words, why would I (Fox) let Marvel make money off of our movies when we can put out merchandise exclusively connected to our films. So if you want something Fantastic Four related, you're getting the Fox Fantastic Four rather than the comics Fantastic Four.

I don't know. To me that makes much more sense than Marvel stopping the merchandising of characters to spite a film studio that's going to make the movies anyway. Especially when Marvel is including the Fantastic Four and X-Men in their linewide event.
    this has been asked and answered several times over the past few months, and i for one am glad to see cbr is finally giving this circumstance the attention it deserves.

the official answer is that fox owns the "live-action" likenesses when it comes to the x-men, and nothing else. marvel has the license ownership to everything else - including toys, merchandise, cartoons, and video games depicting the comic book incarnations.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

I think the important thing Marvel needs to think about is that we're still going to go and see those movies. Maybe Fantastic Four will suck but it won't suck more because Marvel prevents anything from being out. All this sort of thing does is draw attention to them and hurt themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    And there's still going to be X-Men comics after SW. Fantastic Four also. May be that the merchandise doesn't reflect the future status quo of both properties.
    This actually encourages Marvel to use the FF and X-Men as support characters for non-mutant teams and characters rather than promote them as themselves.

Suddenly Rogue joining the Uncanny Avengers, Cyclops joining the Uncanny Inhumans and Kitty Pryde joining the Guardians makes more sense...

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    this has been asked and answered several times over the past few months, and i for one am glad to see cbr is finally giving this circumstance the attention it deserves.

the official answer is that fox owns the "live-action" likenesses when it comes to the x-men, and nothing else. marvel has the license ownership to everything else - including toys, merchandise, cartoons, and video games depicting the comic book incarnations.
    If that's so, then maybe the real reason for production being halted must be that they intend to make big changes on the mutant characters and teams...
    Last edited by Habis; 05-26-2015 at 03:36 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    I know Marvel is going to give the whole, "All is calm" type statement, but this is somewhat distressing. I'm usually of the understanding that where there's smoke, there's fire. It's becoming increasingly obvious that Marvel does not want to promote X-men and Fantastic Four anymore. And I can't see how the movie rights aren't affecting this. I know they'll never admit to denigrating their own product, but actions speak louder than words. And the actions in this case are pretty darn loud.
    This is nothing to do with Marvel it's Disney giving the orders.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    I think the important thing Marvel needs to think about is that we're still going to go and see those movies. Maybe Fantastic Four will suck but it won't suck more because Marvel prevents anything from being out. All this sort of thing does is draw attention to them and hurt themselves.
    And deny us a Michael B. Jordan Johnny Storm figure.

Amazing Member

I recall a couple years back when the rumors about Marvel pulling this kinda **** started. The company men where quick to step up and cry foul, now look. Whatever is going on, you feel you don't owe your fans an answer, thats fine. Ride that no comment train all the way to the station. Or I'd rather be handed a diplomatic answer in legalese than be condescended to.

♥♥عابث سولاناس♥♥ Park Slope Pixie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    And there's still going to be X-Men comics after SW. Fantastic Four also. .
    We don't know that at all. Nothing's been solicited with an X-Men or FF masthead post-SW up to this point.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by pixie_solanas View Post
    We don't know that at all. Nothing's been solicited with an X-Men or FF masthead post-SW up to this point.
    We will. No worries there.

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

That was a really cool Phoenix statue!