Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2

    Default Specific comic taste and could use help

    I had a topic up yesterday, but it seems the site has been redone and all the posts are gone! So I'll try to summarize what I said then, here. Here are things that I'm looking for:

    -I need a comic that, while it doesn't need to be FULL of violence, I need it to not be too cartoonish. If people are fighting, there needs to be blood, if someone's about to win, I'd prefer they not get tossed in jail or fly off into out space and preferably get pulverized or killed brutally (READ: it is not necessary, I'm only saying final battles are always more epic. I'll read any comic). These are superpowered or weaponized people, it needs to be realistic.

    -I'm a big fan of Batman comics, and of course particularly love the joker. Due to Arkham City, I also like szaz. Disturbed bad guys are a plus. I also randomly read X-Force and loved it.

    - realistic art is more preferable. I read All-Star Superman, and while the story was very good, the art style was a little too cartoony for me. Again I enjoyed the read, and as another example I also read "killing joke", which the art was leaning towards the "outdated" (IMO, doesn't mean it's bad) style, but the story was so good that it didn't matter.

    - story matters most. Anything I've said can be reduced if it is a good story, I'm just trying to narrow it down.

    -not too much outer space please. I can handle things going on near earth, but if a comic is mostly way out there and generally always there, it's going to need a very interesting story or it's going to lose me.

    - I love the x-men, avengers, batman, Nightwing, wolverine, his son dakken (I NEED to find those comics, especially where they fight), magneto, cyborg, death stroke, Teen Titans (liked the CN show a lot, comics are probably different). They are all great, I've seen them in so many forms of games and movies, I want to read the best of the source material, the comics. IMPORTANT!!: I have read pretty much none of the comics of anyone I mentioned above, so recommendations for them are very welcome.

    I'm open to all recommendations, these are only what I prefer. As I said, I enjoyed AS-Superman, but disturbing enemies and heroes with personal problems are more interesting. Punisher and Batman more than Superman and Wonderwoman. I WILL read supes if it's good, not crossing anything out. Any ideas?
    Last edited by TheDarkKnight16; 04-30-2014 at 06:52 PM.

  2. #2
    Veteran Member FanboyStranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,388

    Default

    From DC/Vertigo, I'd say you need to take a look at Watchmen and Marshall Law.

  3. #3
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,694

    Default

    Go read Garth Ennis's Hitman, ASAP.

  4. #4
    Junior Member Orb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    181

    Default

    Try Swamp thing it's dark and not cartoony in the least

  5. #5
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,981

    Default

    I'd say Simon Dark. It's in three trades that collect the full series. It's set in Gotham (alas no Batman, though he is mentioned) and it's a pretty dark book but also pretty hilarious in spots. The art's made to look pretty realistic but also kinda hauntingly magical which fits the books theme as Simon Dark himself is kinda like a horror movie character come to life, but as a hero.

  6. #6
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    258

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight16 View Post
    I had a topic up yesterday, but it seems the site has been redone and all the posts are gone! So I'll try to summarize what I said then, here. Here are things that I'm looking for:

    -I need a comic that, while it doesn't need to be FULL of violence, I need it to not be too cartoonish. If people are fighting, there needs to be blood, if someone's about to win, I'd prefer they not get tossed in jail or fly off into out space and preferably get pulverized or killed brutally (READ: it is not necessary, I'm only saying final battles are always more epic. I'll read any comic). These are superpowered or weaponized people, it needs to be realistic.

    -I'm a big fan of Batman comics, and of course particularly love the joker. Due to Arkham City, I also like szaz. Disturbed bad guys are a plus. I also randomly read X-Force and loved it.

    - realistic art is more preferable. I read All-Star Superman, and while the story was very good, the art style was a little too cartoony for me. Again I enjoyed the read, and as another example I also read "killing joke", which the art was leaning towards the "outdated" (IMO, doesn't mean it's bad) style, but the story was so good that it didn't matter.

    - story matters most. Anything I've said can be reduced if it is a good story, I'm just trying to narrow it down.

    -not too much outer space please. I can handle things going on near earth, but if a comic is mostly way out there and generally always there, it's going to need a very interesting story or it's going to lose me.

    - I love the x-men, avengers, batman, Nightwing, wolverine, his son dakken (I NEED to find those comics, especially where they fight), magneto, cyborg, death stroke, Teen Titans (liked the CN show a lot, comics are probably different). They are all great, I've seen them in so many forms of games and movies, I want to read the best of the source material, the comics. IMPORTANT!!: I have read pretty much none of the comics of anyone I mentioned above, so recommendations for them are very welcome.

    I'm open to all recommendations, these are only what I prefer. As I said, I enjoyed AS-Superman, but disturbing enemies and heroes with personal problems are more interesting. Punisher and Batman more than Superman and Wonderwoman. I WILL read supes if it's good, not crossing anything out. Any ideas?
    Red Hood, Scarlet Spider, Red Lanterns, and Red Robin. Also, the new Spider-Man run.

  7. #7
    It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta
    Posts
    3,883

    Default

    You wanna read The Authority volume 01. It's like it's been written with your post in mind.

  8. #8
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    258

    Default

    Powers might be a good read for you as well...

  9. #9
    forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Utrecht, Holland
    Posts
    3,268

    Default

    Swamp thing by Soule, Swamp thing by Moore, Hellblazer, Hitman and Preacher. (Also I just finished Wanted from Titan comics and it has a really disturbing amount of violence and cursing, you might enjoy that too)

  10. #10
    forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Utrecht, Holland
    Posts
    3,268

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    You wanna read The Authority volume 01. It's like it's been written with your post in mind.
    Ah yes, how could I forget? Stormwatch by Ellis and Authority by Ellis are great! And it's not Dc but I have a feeling you'll love Spawn

  11. #11

    Default

    Ennis in general (The Boys, Enemy Ace: War in Heaven, Fury Max, Hellblazer, Hitman, Preacher, Punisher and Unknown Soldier).
    The Losers by Diggle, Marshal Law by Pat Mills, The Question by O'Neil, Secret Six by Simone, The Spectre by Ostrander, Stormwatch/The Authority by Ellis, Suicide Squad by Ostrander,Unknown Soldier by Dysart, Wildcats by Casey
    BB

  12. #12
    forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Utrecht, Holland
    Posts
    3,268

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Batson View Post
    Ennis in general (The Boys, Enemy Ace: War in Heaven, Fury Max, Hellblazer, Hitman, Preacher, Punisher and Unknown Soldier).
    The Losers by Diggle, Marshal Law by Pat Mills, The Question by O'Neil, Secret Six by Simone, The Spectre by Ostrander, Stormwatch/The Authority by Ellis, Suicide Squad by Ostrander,Unknown Soldier by Dysart, Wildcats by Casey
    Oh yes I forgot Ostrander's runs and the Secret six. (Also glad to see you back Billy, wasn't sure everyone would jump to the new forum)

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    (Also glad to see you back Billy, wasn't sure everyone would jump to the new forum)
    Thanks.
    BB

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •