Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    All-New Member

Default CBR Ads Out of Control

Hello - I get that ads are a great way to generate revenue, and that I don't really pay anything directly to access the content on your site; however the overlay ads on the CBR site are getting ridiculous. It seems like every page & image i open something new comes up, assuming it's not broken and instead has a .js installation popup come up (it's been a week or so since that last happened).

They're even worse on a Kindle Fire. They regularly take over the screen, can't be closed, prevent the viewing of content, etc. When they're not doing that, they crash the browser.
    This site is the ONLY one I've ever visited regularly that has had me seriously wanting to install an ad blocker - and I've been browsing the Internet since before "surfing" was a thing.

Totally agree.

Seems to have started within the last couple of weeks.

Often I'll click on a link to read an article or something and you get a banner ad filling the screen saying something like "you can continue in x seconds".

Other times I'll be happily reading something on CBR and suddenly a popup window will appear over the top of what I'm trying to read.

Very annoying. Do the site owners realise how intrusive these ads are?

And what's bad it's not just here. It seems like ads are taking over the Internet.
    The Gypsies had no home. The Doors had no bass.

Does our reality determine our fiction or does our fiction determine our reality?

Whenever the question comes up about who some mysterious person is or who is behind something the answer will always be Frank Stallone.

"This isn't a locking the barn doors after the horses ran way situation this is a burn the barn down after the horses ran away situation."

Quote Originally Posted by mr_crisp View Post
    And what's bad it's not just here. It seems like ads are taking over the Internet.
    I question your use of the present tense, as opposed to the past participle.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

Fantastic Member

The ads on the main CBR page basically lock up my browser for minutes at a time (unless I force shutdown through task manager). It's ridiculous. I now just shortcut directly to the main forum page...

I just wish when I clicked "don't ask me again" on the newsletter sign up, it actually never asked me again, instead of asking me again frequently.

Other than that, Ad Blocker.

Fantastic Member

Yeah, I just installed Adblocker and it really seems to solve the problem. I'm not sure why I've waited so long to get AB(I've been aware of it for years)...I think for some reason I assumed that it would likely cause a different set of issues (sort of similar to AV software) but it seems to work fine.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

The only ones I hate are the "wait 5 seconds to close" they make me want to avoid the main site all together which probably cuts down on ad revenue

BANNED

Sometimes I do have trouble closing them. I don't mind ads, but when they actually keep you from the content, what's the point of coming?

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I just wish when I clicked "don't ask me again" on the newsletter sign up, it actually never asked me again, instead of asking me again frequently.

Other than that, Ad Blocker.
    This.

I got asked to stop linking to CBR because of that.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Why has there not been an official response to this yet? It really IS as bad as the rest of these guys are saying!

Look, ads in and of themselves are not wrong, that's why I've rejected ad-blocking until now, but this is misuse of Advertising - it isn't adding value to your content and product, it's starting to become a hindrance to CBR.

Please adress our claims and consider a change in your ad-policy - you had a fine system a few months ago - let's go back to that.

There are times I come here and an ad for that Steve Jobs book will come up and then I can't go anywhere. I have to force close through the task manager and hope I don't run into the same issue again.

Then there are the video ads that will wait and wait until I start reading an article and then it just moves what I'm reading out of the way.

Very annoying.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

BANNED

Screen Shot 2015-09-18 at 12.50.58 PM.jpg

Had a glitch with this ad today where it wouldn't let me close it.

Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post
    The only ones I hate are the "wait 5 seconds to close" they make me want to avoid the main site all together which probably cuts down on ad revenue
    Yup. Those 5 second ads are the sole reason I installed an ad-blocker on my iPad