Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    All-New Member

Default CBR Ads Out of Control

Hello - I get that ads are a great way to generate revenue, and that I don't really pay anything directly to access the content on your site; however the overlay ads on the CBR site are getting ridiculous. It seems like every page & image i open something new comes up, assuming it's not broken and instead has a .js installation popup come up (it's been a week or so since that last happened).

They're even worse on a Kindle Fire. They regularly take over the screen, can't be closed, prevent the viewing of content, etc. When they're not doing that, they crash the browser.
    This site is the ONLY one I've ever visited regularly that has had me seriously wanting to install an ad blocker - and I've been browsing the Internet since before "surfing" was a thing.

Totally agree.

Seems to have started within the last couple of weeks.

Often I'll click on a link to read an article or something and you get a banner ad filling the screen saying something like "you can continue in x seconds".

Other times I'll be happily reading something on CBR and suddenly a popup window will appear over the top of what I'm trying to read.

Very annoying. Do the site owners realise how intrusive these ads are?

And what's bad it's not just here. It seems like ads are taking over the Internet.
    The Gypsies had no home. The Doors had no bass.

Does our reality determine our fiction or does our fiction determine our reality?

Whenever the question comes up about who some mysterious person is or who is behind something the answer will always be Frank Stallone.

"This isn't a locking the barn doors after the horses ran way situation this is a burn the barn down after the horses ran away situation."

Quote Originally Posted by mr_crisp View Post
    And what's bad it's not just here. It seems like ads are taking over the Internet.
    I question your use of the present tense, as opposed to the past participle.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

Fantastic Member

The ads on the main CBR page basically lock up my browser for minutes at a time (unless I force shutdown through task manager). It's ridiculous. I now just shortcut directly to the main forum page...

penetrator of things

Default Really sketchy intrusive mobile ads

CBR on mobile - using Chrome - has been getting really shitty intrusive ads. Not the giant "pls subscribe" or entire page ads. But, ads that forcefully redirect you to somewhere else, the page "warns" you about a virus, makes your phone vibrate. It's just CBR, but I've seen it on other sites with ads. Usually happens on the forum, not so much the main site.
    Last edited by tako; 01-01-2016 at 08:37 PM.
    hi my name is tako and i like to grow leeks
    @takoleeks

Quote Originally Posted by tako View Post
    CBR on mobile - using Chrome - has been getting really shitty intrusive ads. Not the giant "pls subscribe" or entire page ads. But, ads that forcefully redirect you to somewhere else, the page "warns" you about a virus, makes your phone vibrate. It's just CBR, but I've seen it on other sites with ads. Usually happens on the forum, not so much the main site.
    Yes I completely agree I get those as well and makes me not want to go on CBR as much anymore knowing what it may contain
    Teach a man to fish, you feed a village. Give a man a fish, the ever growing village demands free fish. We will now spend trillions on social services and SSI for people who don't know how to fish.

Quote Originally Posted by tako View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Venkman View Post
    Yes I completely agree I get those as well and makes me not want to go on CBR as much anymore knowing what it may contain
    Please send screen grabs of the offending ads to jonah@comicbookresources.com
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

The problem's been reported, hopefully we'll get it fixed soon.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Thanks, Conn. :)
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Incredible Member Jonah Weiland's Avatar

Hey all,

If you have a problem with any ad on the site -- especially one that is hijacking your screen -- please take a screen grab of it and send it to jonah@comicbookresources.com. Most of what people are describing here is not supposed to happen, which makes me think those ads aren't necessarily coming from CBR. But going based just on the descriptions, it's hard to understand what is and is not meant to happen.

Especially the complaints about issues on mobile devices -- that doesn't sound like it's coming from CBR or if it is, it's not supposed to and we need to work with our networks to make sure it doesn't happen.

Again, if you have an issue with an ad, please e-mail me directly WITH a screen grab. Just posting complaints in here will not help us understand the user experience you're having.
    -- Jonah Weiland
    -- Just Another Comic Book Fan
    Tweets | Webs
    | 'grams

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Jonah,

It's a bit pointless to Screen cap a blank page to send to you but I've gotten the same persistent blank screen with no loading ad again this time in the DC solicits page you all just posted a few hours ago. It takes over the whole screen but never loads the ad and seems to activate when I scroll down.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG